2013 Abarth

trumpet77

True Classic
Just thought I'd say hi, and thanks for this new area for the new Fiats. I have just over 10K miles on my 13 Abarth, and really get a kick out of it. I have been enjoying reading about the X1/9, but have never driven one. If you are around Columbia SC and want to discuss Fiats just let me know.

I own both an Abarth and a couple of X1/9s

For acceleration there is no comparison. The Abarth is quick. Top speed there is no comparison. I got the Abarth over 120 at VIR and the X1/9 could not break 95.

But who cares about the straights. In the corners I could catch all the Abarths on the track. The X1/9 acts very predictability under hard braking. The Abarth rear end stands up and dances under hard braking. Accelerating through the corner was more "fun" in the X1/9 and "scarier" in the Abarth.

Both are fun, but very different.

For acceleration there is no comparison. The Abarth is quick. Top speed there is no comparison. I got the Abarth over 120 at VIR and the X1/9 could not break 95.

But who cares about the straights. In the corners I could catch all the Abarths on the track. The X1/9 acts very predictability under hard braking. The Abarth rear end stands up and dances under hard braking. Accelerating through the corner was more "fun" in the X1/9 and "scarier" in the Abarth.

Well said, sir! For the 99.999% of the time where you won't be driving "balls to the walls", the Abarth is predictable and a blast. Both cars are a helluva lot of fun to drive.

Kevin B,

Thanks for the offer, I would love to drive an X!

Saw several up at Carlisle last May, and I think there will be one in Charlotte tomorrow at the Motori Italiani show--I'm going just to check out the Italian cars and bikes.

Oh, an exxe will break 120 mph and more.. up rate the engine is all it would take.

More typical for a 1500cc is 105 Mph,95 is low which could indicate a problem. Top speed is slightly lower with the head lights up.

Bernice

Perhaps...

a K20 equipped X needs to meet up with an Abarth 500 someday at the track. I'd love to see THAT video..

As to how the two compared as far as acceleration. Anyone ever done an informal speed test?

Stock 500 vs stock x19 would be a good comparison and I can give my honest opinion but my X has the PBS motor these days.

There is no comparison between the 2; 500 pop in sport mode is a little torquier at low RPM but nothing after 5k. That is where my X starts its magic. I would also be afraid to throw the 500 into a corner I would take the X19 in ;) I know I would tip it over or just understeer to death.
As far as top speed - I can get the 500 up to about 105 The X19 would probably go a lot further but is too instable past that.

More testing needed...:italia:

The standard new 500 feels really underpowered in the test driving I've done, so that's why I went with the Abarth. Not sure about top speed, but in a brief charity run at Charlotte Motor Speedway, was able to (legally) hit about 105-110 but was limited to not passing the other drivers, so I feel confident there is more top speed there.

I am thinking of doing some auto-cross SCCA this year, totally a novice, and certainly with the Abarth a bit lower than the regular 500 (and turbo etc) that puts it in a different class.

The Motori Italiani show in Charlotte was awesome, but no Xs were there when I was looking. Tons of Ferraris and Lamborghinis, a few older Alfas, and a few Fiat Spyders.

Today I did my first SCCA Solo ever, in the Abarth, and had a blast! Will definitely plan to do it again. This is at Darlington Raceway, in a parking lot just outside the main grandstand of the NASCAR track.

Very friendly folks in the SC Region of SCCA, and I got a lot of help from other drivers riding along and giving me tips.

Not that it matters, but in the novice class, I finished 5th out of 11 drivers, everything from Miatas to a Corvette and etc.

Lots of fun, highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't done it before.

Yesterday was my 2nd autocross in the Abarth, and though the field was small with only 1 other car in the G Stock class, I managed to go a bit faster than the 2004 Mustang. Victory!

Oh yeah, very addicting! With a small field of 55 drivers or so, we were able to get 8 runs total, with 5 in the morning and 3 more in the afternoon. Somehow my fastest was the last one, with a passenger.
No matter how well you do there is always room to improve in one or more parts of the course, even a short one like this where I was running in the 36 second range.
Next event is August 3rd!

Stock X 1/9 v. Stock 500

I have had several X 1/9s and my wife drives a 2012 500 Gucci. The fastest I ever got my stock 1987 X up to was 125 mph on the speedo. I estimate that was probably around 110 -115 or so as the X's speedo is a bit optimistic. Haven't taken my wife’s 500 over 95 yet, but it feels like it could go quite a bit faster. As far as handling goes, hands down the X will drive circles around the 500. I take my X around one of the long raised highway off ramps by my house at about 70 mph without even thinking about it. I tried to take the 500 on that same ramp and the stability control kicked in just before hitting 70 mph. That’s just sticking power too, the X really shines in agility. The X just feels like more fun. I also feel like the X has better acceleration. It might just be because my X is a 5 speed and the 500 is automatic. I do know that with a stock 500 you have to plan ahead to merge or change lanes. The 500 feels like it has lag. You floor it and it takes a good 1-2 seconds before it starts to pull (if you can call that pulling). The X requires that you keep the revs high to feel it pull, otherwise it feels as anemic as the 500. Just my opinion of the two. Now if I could only get my wife to let me borrow her rims to check fitment. The rims that came on the Gucci model are very nice and are 15 x 6s I believe.

Autocross on Saturday in Myrtle Beach was a lot of fun, but on a very tiny short course I only managed 3rd place out of 4 drivers. My best time was in the 35.xxx second range, while a Nissan Sentra (whatever turbo model it was) was running about 31.xxx I think.

Our next event is at the Michelin Proving Grounds, near Greenville SC on Sunday Oct 27th, which should be a huge layout, so hopefully I can get a little more comfortable.

The next SCCA autocross in the South Carolina region is this Sunday, Oct 27th at the Michelin Proving Grounds, south of Greenville. From what I hear this is a huge facility where obviously Michelin tests tires on various tracks and skid pads, so the local SCCA folks are all very happy to be going back.

I'll be driving the Abarth on my new 17 inch wheels, with upgraded Dunlop Direzza II tires, so I'm hoping that helps the loose nut behind the wheel.

Pre-registration ends Friday night, but you can arrive Sunday starting at 0730am and enter on site:

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index..../uidEvent/55E58C48-F011-CF76-06E13E92411BFA59

The Michelin Proving Grounds was a lot of fun on a large and high speed autocross course yesterday. With help from the new Dunlops I was able to win in G Stock over two other cars, so I'm pretty happy about that! Our region will have one more event in mid November and I think that will wrap it up for the year.
http://postimg.org/image/ovo4n2u0n/

Back