# 209, Front brake booster bypass tube

Rupunzell

Bernice Loui
Took longer to get the tubing tools and nickel-copper tubing out, then put the stuff away.

Bubble flare made using the Facom 347 flaring tool. This flaring tool design has been copied by ? and now a variant of it is widely available.
Facom 347 flaring tool& tube.JPG

Center tube outlet is the front. These fittings use M10x1.25 long style tube nuts. Apply anti-seize on the threads
to prevent stuck threads.
Lancia x1:20, ft brake master outlet.JPG

Bend to fit, cut to length, flare the other end, install.
Lancia x1:20 ft brake BB bypass tube.JPG

Done..
Lancia x1:20, fr BBP done.JPG

Series 2, MonteCarlo brake plumbing.
Lancia Monte_S2 brake tubes.png

Bernice

Took longer to get the tubing tools and nickel-copper tubing out, then put the stuff away.

Bubble flare made using the Facom 347 flaring tool. This flaring tool design has been copied by ? and now a variant of it is widely available.
View attachment 33966

Center tube outlet is the front. These fittings use M10x1.25 long style tube nuts. Apply anti-seize on the threads
to prevent stuck threads.
View attachment 33967

Bend to fit, cut to length, flare the other end, install.
View attachment 33968

Done..
View attachment 33969

Series 2, MonteCarlo brake plumbing.
View attachment 33970

Bernice
You really do have some nice tools!
And the knowledge about how to used them!

Spoiled on the tools.

Goal now is to develop the machine tools. The Bridgeport milling machine arrived few months ago. Runs on a VFD, DRO to be installed.
Next is to upgrade the primary machine tool, lathe, to a Mori Seiki MS850 or South Korean clone.
Machine tools are essentially useless without proper tooling to support them. That gray roller
has cutting tools (drills, end mills, taps and ...) Measuring tools live in a different roller box,
machine tooling another box. Of the tools that can do stuff, the machine tools have been
among the most useful by FAR.

MC shop.jpeg

Hand tools, supplies and etc... in a different location of the shop.

Bernice

You really do have some nice tools!
And the knowledge about how to used them!

I did the same modification on my car using a pre-formed line from TMH. It's nice to avoid brake fluid running up and down the center tunnel lines needlessly with a deleted booster, but doubt it has any real impact on brake performance in the end.

Spoiled on the tools.

Goal now is to develop the machine tools. The Bridgeport milling machine arrived few months ago. Runs on a VFD, DRO to be installed.
Next is to upgrade the primary machine tool, lathe, to a Mori Seiki MS850 or South Korean clone.
Machine tools are essentially useless without proper tooling to support them. That gray roller
has cutting tools (drills, end mills, taps and ...) Measuring tools live in a different roller box,
machine tooling another box. Of the tools that can do stuff, the machine tools have been
among the most useful by FAR.

View attachment 33974

Hand tools, supplies and etc... in a different location of the shop.

Bernice
Bernice, you've given me a serious case of "tool envy"!

Brake "booster" does more harm than help. Amount of assistance to brake line pressure depends on engine vacuum, how much vacuum is stored in the system, how much vacuum is consumed with each time and duration the brakes are used. The set up is essentially variable semi-powered brake assist that is not predictable. This is every reason to delete the entire mess.

This vacuum assisted front brake fiasco also results in unpredictable front brake lock-up.

Notable, the series 2 MonteCarlo does not have this. The folks at Lancia up diameter the front rotors to ~250mm, same caliper piston diameter, kept the rear caliper rotor and brake piston diameters the same. Consider if the folks at Lancia did this on the series 2, they likely have very good reasons why.

Bernice

I did the same modification on my car using a pre-formed line from TMH. It's nice to avoid brake fluid running up and down the center tunnel lines needlessly with a deleted booster, but doubt it has any real impact on brake performance in the end.

Brake "booster" does more harm than help. Amount of assistance to brake line pressure depends on engine vacuum, how much vacuum is stored in the system, how much vacuum is consumed with each time and duration the brakes are used. The set up is essentially variable semi-powered brake assist that is not predictable. This is every reason to delete the entire mess.

This vacuum assisted front brake fiasco also results in unpredictable front brake lock-up.

Notable, the series 2 MonteCarlo does not have this. The folks at Lancia up diameter the front rotors to ~250mm, same caliper piston diameter, kept the rear caliper rotor and brake piston diameters the same. Consider if the folks at Lancia did this on the series 2, they likely have very good reasons why.

Bernice
I didn't mean there's no benefit to removing the booster (I agree with you, there definitely is). My car had the booster bypassed at the rear of the car when I bought it, I doubt my change to bypass up front gave any performance advantage, just a maintenance advantage. I still need to pull the now disconnected center tunnel lines out of the car, but I'll wait until I redo the carpet.

Lancia also changed the pedal assembly that allows the brake pedal to exert more pressure plus some sort of pressure valve in the back. Oh btw the 037 used two remote boosters, I assume the other one was for the rear brakes. Some folks in the UK have gone this route.

Standard race car brake method will be applied at some point to optimize the brake system if needed. This will likely result in two brake masters with a mechanical bias bar. Pedal force and all can be tweaked by rotor diameter, brake caliper piston diameter and all the other related brake system adjustable_s.

One of the design limitations back then was 13" wheels. This put a crimp on brake rotor diameter, caliper type and...

If there has been one advantage of the modern over grown wheel fashion, larger brake rotors & calipers are possible.

Bernice

Lancia also changed the pedal assembly that allows the brake pedal to exert more pressure plus some sort of pressure valve in the back. Oh btw the 037 used two remote boosters, I assume the other one was for the rear brakes. Some folks in the UK have gone this route.

Front brake booster tube got a re-do, Rev. 01 was not ok. Rev. 02 is better.

Lancia_ft brake tube Rev. 02.JPG

Front brake booster tube Rev. 01 is FREE (+postage) to a Scorpiacarlo in need.
Lancia ft brake tube_Rev.01.JPG

Bernice

Back