3 Bolt Water Pump Leak

GarageTimeTV

Garage Time TV
Hello all!

Well here I am again. After my engine rebuild I got the car running after some timing adjustments. Good sign! Next step is coolant. I installed the radiator and the water pump. (plus all the new hoses) I was filling the radiator and water was coming from what looked like the rear large seal. (the side the fan connects to) I replaced that seal along with the seal that attaches to the block.

I began to refill it this morning and had leaking again, but from what looked like vent holes on the fan side of the pump. There are two slots the width and height of flathead screwdriver. I looked in my manual and it breaks down that inner shaft that turns the pump blades. It shows two seals that are on either side of the pump blades. Am I correct in thinking these are the issue? I don't know if they have ever been replaced. How often do they do bad? This is the only logical thing that could be causing the leak.

Any tips on replacing them too would be nice! Getting that fan mounting piece off seems like a bear, and I was only able to get the pulley side off. Is there a trick to it?

Attachments

• IMG_3117.jpg
    IMG_3117.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 85
Try running the motor for a period of time till it warms up. Often after sitting a long period dry they will leak slightly but self seal.
My 903 cured itself. It's VERY difficult to replace the seals as everything is frozen in place usually. Good luck. A complete seal/bearing kit goes for around $50 on eBay.

Back