38mm Piston Rear brake Caliper install

Can’t remember where I first read about these, but it worked for me. If I recall correctly, they make one for discs and one for drums. That’s about as much research I put into it before trying it.

So these valves keep a small amount of pressure in whatever circuit you add them to, to offset the pressure drop from addition of the larger (than system was designed to run) calipers? Interesting. How does one ascertain what residual pressure is OK, without causing a pad drag issue?

(Link doesn't work for me, Safari keeps asking for multiple client ID certificates when trying to load it)

Residual pressure valves are intended for rear drum brakes (with wheel cylinders) rather than disk brakes with calipers. I think you will find the pads will overheat or wear excessively (or greater issues) when putting them on disk brakes. Just my opinion.

An update with the 38 MM rear combination calipers. I have noticed that the emergency brake is not holding the car when parked. I have tensioned the cable to the point that I can only get 3 clicks from the operating handle and the car still rolls. I removed the rear calipers and disassembled one caliper and found really nothing wrong. What I did find is that the cable return spring and cone washers on each end appear to be limiting the amount of travel of the cable when engaged. The solution was to drill out the guide that holds the cable to allow the washer to go deeper into the holder and allowing the return spring more length to compress. In reality the new brake cables are most likely the issue with the large spring centring washers. Possibly I could remove them. I cut the arm on the emergency brake actuator so that it clears the housing as well. Result is now the cable can compress the spring and allow enough travel of the arm and 'E' brake now engages and holds the car when parked.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.
DSC01814.JPG
DSC01815.JPG
DSC01816.JPG

I had the same issue on a new cable for my Spider. The cone washers are larger than the original. Seems like a common theme with many new replacement parts; almost but not quite equivalent to the original part…

I had the same issue on a new cable for my Spider. The cone washers are larger than the original. Seems like a common theme with many new replacement parts; almost but not quite equivalent to the original part…
We ran into the same problem on a Spider ebrake cable as well. That the cones don’t fit properly is a real issue.

Back