5 Speed 101: assembling the gearset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]5 Speed 101: assembling the gearset.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]February 18 2000 at 3:33 PM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "w";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Steve Hoelscher"); // --> </SCRIPT>Steve Hoelscher <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT> [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->
Using motor oil as a lubricant, lightly oil and install the pinion bearing race on the end of the lay shaft next to the pinion gear. Note that the lip goes next to the pinion gear. Now lubricate the 1st gear sleeve and install it, with the lip toward the pinion gear, on the lay shaft. Drop 1st gear (the largest diameter gear) with the hub facing away from the pinion gear on the sleeve. Drop the synchronizer onto the 1st gear hub. Be sure you have it turned so the inner taper matches its hub.

Now take the sliding sleeve hub, locate it's three little metal tab insterts and the two wire springs. The metal tabs have a notch that faces out. The tabs fit into the hub in the opening that has a tiny lip that extends out over the edge of the metal tabs. There are also three other openings in the hub, they are for the blocks on the outer edge of the synchro ring. Once you have located the three positions for the tabs, install a wire spring on one side of the hub so that each of its three notches lines up with a position for a metal tab. Now install each of the metal tabs, starting with the one opposite of the gap in the spring. Once all three tabs are in place, install the second wire spring on the other side of the hub. Make sure that the gaps in the springs do not line up. Install the 1st/2nd slider over the hub. You will notice there are three inner teeth on the slider that have a notch cut into the center of each of these three teeth. These teeth line up with the metal tabs on the hub. Install the slider and snap it into its position. Test its function by pushing it off the hub in both directions. It should snap smoothly into position from either direction.

Note that the outer edge of the sider has the revese gear teeth cut into it and next to those teeth is the groove for the 1st/2nd shifting fork. Now take the hub/slider assembly and drop it onto the lay shaft. It should be turned so that the reverse gear teeth are on the side away from 1st gear (the side without the teeth is toward 1st gear). Make sure that the synchronizer's blockers (the blocks on the outside of the synchro ring) drop into its position on the hub. The splines at the center of the hub should mate fully with the splines on the lay shaft.

Next drop the 2nd gear synchro ring into its position on the hub. Make sure it is turned so its inner taper will match the 2nd gear hub. Now fit the 2nd gear sleeve into second gear with the lip on the side of the gear away from the hub and drop the pair into place on the lay shaft.

Next, install the synchros on each of the three remaining gears. Since they are all the same I will review the proceedure only once. Place the gear on the table with the synchro hub facing up. Place the synchro ring on the hub with the notch in the ring, opposite the notch in the hub. Position the two synchro locks, one with the tab on the inside at the notch in the synchro hub and the other, with the tab on the outside at the notch in the synchro ring. Next, drop in the two cresent springs. Install the snap ring. Spread the ring with a pair of snapring pliers and use a flat blade screwdriver to push the ring in the groove starting at the tab and working your way around until it is fully seated.

For those gears (with the Porsche type synchros) that you have not chosen to replace the synchros on, turn the synchros so that the worn side is now facing the gear. This allows you to use the fresh side of the synchro.

Drop the 3rd gear sleeve onto the lay shaft, it is the sleeve that has no lip, then drop 3rd gear over the sleeve, with the synchro facing away from 2nd. Drop the tripod hub onto the shaft ensuring that it fits nicely against 3rd with its fingers extending over the synchro. It too has inner splines that mate with the splines on the lay shaft. Drop the 3rd/4th slider onto the tripod hub. If you are re-using the 3rd/4th slider, determine which side of the slider has the best teeth and turn the slider so the best teeth are facing 3rd gear.

Finally, insert the sleeve into 4th gear, with the lip on the side away from the synchro and fit the pair onto the lay shaft.

Now install the reverse idler gear onto the idler shaft. The grove for the shifter fork should be positioned toward the case. Next, take the input shaft (driven shaft) in one hand and the lay shaft (with the gearset now installed) in the other and fit them together to see how the gearsets line up. Note the splined end of the input shaft and the pinion gear of the lay shaft should be at the same end. Now set the input shaft asside and fit the lay shaft into the case by placing the bearing race next to the pinion gear into its bearing in the case. Make sure the pinion gear meshes with the ring gear on the differential. Now spin the lay shaft to turn the differential and make sure it turns smoothly.

Now, while lifting the reverse idler gear about 1 inch above the case, fit the input shaft into the case. This takes some practice and may require a couple of attempts as well as slightly lifting the lay shaft to get the complete assembly to drop into place. The input shaft has seated when the teeth for 1st gear are seated next to the inner race of the bearing in the case. Examine the fit of each of the gears on both the input shaft and lay shaft. The gears should all line up neatly. You can also raise the reverse gear with your fingers to see how it fits between it's gear on the input shaft and the teeth on the outside of the 1st/2nd slider. Now spin the differential and examine the rotation of the lay and input shafts. All should turn smoothly.

Next time we will fit the selector rods and shift forks and button up the case.

We are almost done!

Steve
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "x";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "9";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Mac"); // --> </SCRIPT>Mac <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->am I screwed?!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]February 18 2000, 7:42 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Steve H wrote:
We are almost done!

Oops! I may not be
sad.gif

I just got the case halves clean (they look great by the way) and installed the new shaft seals, and the new seal on the input shaft tube. I reached the point in your previous post of instructions that says...

Use a hammer and chisel to drive out the bushing for the main shifting rod. The chisel should be placed under the lip that retains the boot. Install the new bushing using a soft face mallet or a block of wood and a hammer. Be careful not the cock the bushing in the case or damage its lip.

That is assuming (deeep breath...) that I have a new bushing, which I don't! It apparently was not included in the gasket/seal set! I thought it would have been in there with the seals & o-rings but it just ain't
sad.gif

Now, am I screwed?? I really would like not to have to have this whole evolution come to a grinding halt because there is no replacement for the bushing, but I don't know if I want to re-use the one that is in there.

The one that is present looks okay, I think it feels okay (by finger) but I am just not interested in putting the whole thing back together with this one old piece, knowing that if it leaks I will have to take the whole damn thing apart again over this one stupid thing.

So what do I do at this particular juncture? -Mac.

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "I";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "u"; document.write("Steve Cecchele"); // --> </SCRIPT>Steve Cecchele <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->selector shaft seal?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]February 19 2000, 2:40 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->is this the bushing you are talking about?

same as a 128, 4 speed x19 etc etc

it can be changed afterwards, but its much easier now.

Congrats Steve H for such a detailed post!
will you combine all this and post at mirafiori.com?

Steve Cecchele<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "w";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Steve Hoelscher"); // --> </SCRIPT>Steve Hoelscher <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Thanks Steve :)<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]February 19 2000, 6:21 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->5 speed 101 was a project undertaken on this forum for the dual purposes of fixing Mac's transmission and providing the forum participants with the information to rebuild an X1/9 transmissison.

I have been asked to compile the complete collection of these posts for a technical article for the FLU (Fiat-Lancia-Unlimited) club newsletter. As far as posting it on Mirafiori, I hadn't thought about it. I guess it could be posted in the technical sections.

Mac? What about other uses of the posts in this forum?

Steve

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "x";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "9";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Mac"); // --> </SCRIPT>Mac <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->did you get my email about this? <nt><!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]February 21 2000, 7:53 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->
happy.gif

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "w";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Steve Hoelscher"); // --> </SCRIPT>Steve Hoelscher <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Yes. Look for a reply soon. <nt><!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]February 22 2000, 6:08 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->
happy.gif

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->No!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]February 19 2000, 6:14 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Mac, Not to worry. If the bushing was not leaking before, it is not necessary to change it. And as Steve C. noted, if it was, it could be changed later.

I have re-used these bushings many times before, it is not a problem. It is rare that these leak badly anyway.

Steve

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Mac[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->okay, but...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]February 19 2000, 9:47 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->...I'm paranoid!!

I guess I will go ahead then & reuse this one. But I wish I didn't have to.

Thanks for the quick response. Time for me to get back to work. -Mac.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "L";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "f";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Lalo"); // --> </SCRIPT>Lalo <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->No Sweat<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]February 19 2000, 10:01 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Mac-

You didn't read me post a few weeks ago did you?
happy.gif

I mentioned that that seal was NOT part of the kit and you had to order it separately...

Everyone is correct, it is easy to change that seal after the gearbox is assembled. Here's how I did it:

Use a pair of channel locks and grip the seal where it nechs down, the metal shroud around the seal kinda has an 'I' shape to it. Then whack the pliers with a hammer and POP, out comes the seal. You can also use this same trick to install the new one since the selector rod will prevent you fron using Steve's wooden block trick.

Be sure that the selector rod is surgically clean before you install the new seal. Grit can and will scratch the selector rod and your seal will forever leak once that happens.

Lalo<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Mac[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->thanks Lalo<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]February 19 2000, 11:47 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Yeah, I missed it when you mentioned that. What can I say? It's been so damn crazy here, with me trying to do all this tranny business, house-hunting, taking midterms @ college, packing up to move in a matter of days, my brain is mush
sad.gif

I can't stand the idea of not doing this thing right the first time. I am debating the idea of having someone overnight me that bushing, and going out to get some 600 grit sandpaper for the selector rod.

I would really rather do it right now than to just button it up & have to do that damn bushing later, even if it is easy. All I know is that if this tranny leaks when I get it back together I am going to cry
tongue.gif
-Mac.

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "x";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "9";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Mac"); // --> </SCRIPT>Mac <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->We are almost done!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]February 19 2000, 8:48 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Woohoo!!~

I just put the gearset together and it sure feels good
happy.gif

God what a feeling to put in the new parts, assemble it all again, drop those shafts into the new bearings and give 'em a little spin. Wheeeeee!

I think I even got a little bit ahead of the class, but that is not important. We're really kicking ass here & I am ready to finish this thing & get that car running! `whew'!

Ready for the next one whenever you are, O Steve, kind, generous benefactor of gearsets everywhere!
wink.gif
-Mac.

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back