5 Speed 101: assembling the linkage and case

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]5 Speed 101: assembling the linkage and case<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]February 21 2000 at 9:18 PM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "w";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Steve Hoelscher"); // --> </SCRIPT>Steve Hoelscher <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT> [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Now that the driven and lay shafts are in place, check to make sure both sliding sleeves are centered so that the transmission is in neutral. Now locate the two detend plungers. Using either a pencil magnet or a pair of needlenose pliers, lower a detent plunger into the center selector shaft hole and use a small screwdriver to slide it into position between the reverse shaft hole and the center hole. Use the same technique to install the other detent plunger into its passageway between the 1/2 and 3/4 shaft holes.

Now re-fit the two shifting forks. The 1st/2nd fork is installed with the bore for the selector shaft above the fingers. You may have to shift the 1/2 slider into the 2nd gear postion to gain access to the fork's groove in the slider. Once fitted, shift the slider back to center. Now swing the end of the shaft till it lines up with the hole for its selector shaft. The 1/2 selector shaft is the one farthest from the 5th reverse shaft. Now fit the 3/4 fork. It is turned the opposite way from the 1/2 fork, so that the flat side is facing up. Swing it into possition where its bore lines up with the hole for the center selector shaft. Finally, fit the reverse fork. It can only fit in one position and still have its notch line up with the intermediate linkage.

Now indentify the reverse/5th selector rod. It has a bolt hole at the very end for the 5th gear fork. Insert the lower end, the end with a single detent notch (the upper ends all have 3 notches), through the reverse fork and into its hole in the case. Note the position of the detent slots in the lower end and turn the rod so those slots face the detent plunger in the case. Do not install the bolt for the fork yet. Make sure the rod had bottomed out in the case, then, using a tiny screwdriver to push the detend plunger, raise the shaft until the detent plunger locks the shaft in place. Next, identify the 3/4 fork, it has the tiny hole in the detent notches of the lower end. Insert the interlocking pin in the hole and insert the shaft through the 3/4 fork. Place the linkage fork into place next to the reverse linkage fork and guide the shaft through the linkage fork and into the case. Make sure the shaft is turned so that the upper detent notches are facing the same direction as the upper notches on the reverse/5th shaft. Again, use a small screwdriver to push on the detent plunger and raise the 3/4 shaft until the detent plunger locks the shaft in place. Now install the 1/2 shaft in the same manner as the 3/4 shaft, passing it through the slider fork and the linkage fork. You may need to support the slider fork as well to prevent the rod from binding as it lines up with the hole in the case. Now starting with the reverse rod, install the bolts for each of the linkage forks and then the slider forks and torque them in place. Make sure that all of the linkage forks fit neatly together and the intermediate linkage is in position. Now fit an adjustable wrench to the main shift rod and rotate the rod both directions while observing the movement of the intermediate linkage through its range of travel between the linkage forks of each of the selector rods. Finally, drop the magnet into its slot in the case next to the selector rods.

Now test fit the main case gasket and the outer case half. Be sure to line up the selector rods with their holes in the outer case half. Apply a thin coating of blue sealant, place the gasket and drop the outer case half into place. Intall the case bolts and lightly torque them. Next fit the main shaft bearings and install the snap rings. You can fit one end of the snapring and work your way around using a large screwdriver to push the snapring into place. Be sure the snaprings are turned so that their gaps meet and the ends can overlap each other without fouling.

Test fit the intermediate case extention noting the position of the two small bolts near the bottom. One outside the extention and one inside. Apply a thin coating of blue sealant, place the gasket and fit the intermediate case extention. Install the two small bolts and torque them completely. Now install 5th gear on the input shaft and fit the 30 mm nut. 5th gear on the input shaft is either splined or has a keyway. Note that the hub is offset to one side. The offset is positioned toward the bearing. Next, install the 5th gear and its sleeve onto the lay shaft. The sleeve's lip goes toward the bearing. Also, the gear itself goes toward the bearing, with the synchro on the outside. Then fit the 5th gear slider hub, the large washer and nut. Note that one side of the hub is recessed to accomodate the large washer.

Now insert each of the detent balls and springs in the holes in the side of the case next to the reverse switch. Insert the shortest spring (it is also the stiffest spring) in the hole for the 5th/reverse selector rod. Then place the gasket and plate and bolt it into place. You do not need to use sealant on this gasket.

Fit the 5th gear slider and force it down, fully engaging 5th gear. (Note the 5th gear slider has teeth on only one side) Now use a pair of vise grips on the main shifting rod to force the rod into the case to fully engage a gear. Now the transmission should be locked into two gears so the shafts will not turn. Use an impact wrench to tighten the two 30mm nuts on the ends of the shafts and stake the nuts in place. Now remove the 5th gear slider and shift the main rod back to the neutral (center) postion.

Fit the 5th gear fork to the slider and stall the pair onto the hub and selector rod. Bolt the fork to the selector rod. Now, match the various length and sizes of bolts up with the appropriate holes in the case extention, apply a thin coating of blue sealant to the gasket surfaces, fit the gasket, the case extention and bolt into place.

Tip the transmission back to its upright position and install the three case bolts from the bellhousing side. Re-install the clutch actuator rod and release bearing linkage. Apply a light coating of grease to the shaft to properly lubricate it. Also lightly grease the fork's bolt. Lightly grease the tube for the release bearing and re-install the release bearing. Test the action of the clutch actuator. It should move smoothly. Re-torque the main case bolts.

Finally, fit each of the stub shafts, place a block of wood on its face and use a hammer to drive it into place. Use both hands to grab the stub shafts and turn the shafts. You should be able to notice the transmission turning inside. It should turn smoothly, but require some effort.

You are done! The transmission can now be re-installed in the car!

Steve
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "x";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "9";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Mac"); // --> </SCRIPT>Mac <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->- It's alive !!! THANK YOU to all involved !! (long)<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]February 25 2000, 12:38 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->The world is just full of good news today!!
happy.gif

Today, as some of you might know, is my 28th birthday (yep - February 25th - I am a Pisces, for you astrology buffs). I can not think of a greater birthday gift today than to have an X1/9 which I could actually drive!
wink.gif
(not to mention less loose parts to pack for the house move, and one less car that will have to be trailered to the new place)...

Well, I am pleased to announce: it's alive!! I worked straight through last night reassembling the rest of the tranny, installing the new clutch, and getting everything back in the car. What a grand feeling it was to get that unruly transmission bolted back in and to start filling it up with Redline MTL! Oooh, whoah, the colors, man! Never saw red oil before - should make even the slightest gearbox leakage easy to detect...

On the other hand though, it doesn't smell like anything!! I have sort of grown attached to the stink of GL-1, it has become (to me) an integral part of the "scent of a Fiat" so we'll just have to see if the MTL performs well enough to outweigh the loss of that distinctive odor
tongue.gif

Reinstalled the rear suspension and all the other parts which had been removed in the process, torqued everything to spec with the aid of my shop manual. Decided not to mess with the clutch slave just yet. The old one is horribly filthy inside & looks nearly used up, the hose is dryrotted beyond belief, but I never opened the fluid line on disassembly & all seems to be working okay for now. I have the new parts, but will wait until after we're settled in our new home to do the clutch bleeding thing...

I've had a beat-up set of CD-91s with 4 brand new 185/60s on them sitting in my closet for a while - put them on the car as the finishing touch, and just about the stroke of midnight, the jackstands came out and the car came down slooow on the floorjacks, gently touching the ground once again Woohoo!!~
happy.gif

Battery was dead as a doornail, I had disconnected it prior to all this, but it was dead anyway. Rolled the car out of the garage & into the driveway where Holly was kind enough to offer up her Neon with a set of jumper cables. I checked all of the X's systems, everything was in order - except for some unknown reason the headlights won't come on. Parks work, but when I go to the headlight position of the switch, everything goes out. However, I honestly do enjoy the act of reviving an X that has sat sleeping for a long period of time. Rise & shine there partner! Look alive, you're in one piece again
happy.gif

I broke out the test probe and poked around the fuse panel while the car idled up to temperature. I was able to determine that there is no power on the incoming headlight hotwire to the panel, so the problem is clearly ahead of that point. I followed the wire up into the harness & out of sight inside the dash...

I quickly decided that there was NO WAY that I wanted to tear into the dash at this particular moment. The car is warmed up, idling away the last few drops of gas in the tank & the "feed me" light is glowing. Nearest gas station is 3 miles away, if I don't waste time I can still make it there.

So I did the quick-fix: got a piece of heavy gauge wire & jumpered power to the dead light circuit direct from the incoming battery hotline.

"Screw it, I'll find the real problem later..."

`ping' - the lights are shining brightly! I wasted no time diving into the driver's seat to take the little black beastie on her maiden voyage. Oh yeah, I never did put the stock air filter can back in. I have been sitting on a K&N R1380 filter all this time, and put it on instead. MAN THAT SOUNDS SO GOOD! Sweet music indeed as I revved the car high a few times. Neighbors' porch lights started coming on...

To her great credit, Holly (despite how anxious she also was to ride in the X) agreed to follow along in her Neon - just in case I ran out of gas or forgot to torque down something important
tongue.gif

I take a deeeep breath, exhale, put the clutch pedal down & slide it into 1st...

Oh, it's like driving a brand new car
happy.gif

I crept out the bumpy gravel drive at a snail's pace with Holly idling along behind in the Neon. I was very cautious at first, rolling slowly out onto the paved main road, up delicately through first to about 4k rpm, push in the clutch, grit my teeth & clench my fists - reflexed anticipation of the infamous 1st-to-2nd gear crunch - and went for 2nd...

Sweet as honey, the gear engages without so much as even a peep. This gave me great enthusiasm, but I restrained my glee and gently ran it up through the rest of the gears to a casual 60 mph in 5th.

I did notice that my grab for 5th was a little awkward that first time. I may need to go fiddle with the sandwich joint again to get it just right, but even as it is I got it with little effort, and each grab for 5th thereafter seemed progressively easier...

Got to the gas station smooth as a hot knife through butter. Holly pulls in behind, parks her car and comes to me at the gas pump grinning, "Now can I ride in it??"
happy.gif

I managed to get a grand total of 3 whole miles from the house in this car. It is after midnight, early Friday morning, in the country out here in the middle of podunk nowhere, nobody's around. I have had the car out for 5 minutes for the first time since the end of last summer... and this guy I've never seen before comes walking excitedly up to us at the gas pump & says, "Wow!! What year is that Fiat X1/9??"

This is why I love these cars so much. Fiats are synchronicity magnets in my cosmic opinion, and I never tire of the people I meet because of it
happy.gif

We had a good chat about X1/9s while the car was filling up on super-unleaded. He griped that he never sees them around anymore, I told him about SeattleX1/9, and the tank was full. We bid him farewell and headed out in the X. Drove more aggressively this time, but still more gently than I normally would have. Took a loop around McIntosh Lake (I kid you not, that is really its name) and back through to grab Holly's Neon - then for the fast leg of the circuit, back to the house.

I opened up the throttle pretty well - well enough anyway for only having a dangling jumper wire on the headlight circuit
wink.gif
The car is alive & doing fine! Better than ever, really, except for the headlight thing, but I'm confident that won't be hard to fix.

So I just wanted to share this moment of blissful X-ing with all of you here, and to once again extend a genuine gratitude to each of you who have contributed to this project in so many ways.

And one more thing, I got my computer put back together today too - and with 3 times the RAM! Hey this is a good day. Got it working again just in time to post this, then box it up for the move. Goin' back to radio silence for another few days. PEACE! -Mac.

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "j";n54_em = n54_em + "w";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "u"; document.write("Courtney Waters"); // --> </SCRIPT>Courtney Waters <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Congrats!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]March 1 2000, 1:48 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Glad to hear you've got the beastie operational!

Hey, my birthday is the 25th too
happy.gif
That's a cool b-day present. Reminds me of my 17th birthday when I got my first Fiat (my 124 Spider) running.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "w";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Steve Hoelscher"); // --> </SCRIPT>Steve Hoelscher <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Happy Birthday!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]March 1 2000, 7:51 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Glad to hear the project was successful and your X is happy and healthy once again.

Steve

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back