5 Speed Pop-Quiz??

DaleS

uh, maybe
So a guy just rebuilt his transmission and got in the car yesterday. He took his time and thought he had everything right. He started the car and could engage all the gears 1-5 & Rev - he could hear the gears turning and could feel the sliders move into place. But, the car would only move forward! Reverse, it would not!

What did I, uh, that guy do wrong?

thats nice do it again...:nana:
ive done this before.. except it was stuck in a different gear and binding

1-2 slider upside-down so.. no reverse

Steve,My friend isn't much of a transmission guy - in fact, historically he has just treated them like a box full of gears. He learned a lot thanks to 5-Speed 101 and just doing it.

BTW: what's the 1x5 about on your signature line? He can't figure that out either.

1x5

Steve has been the SCCA Solo National Champ (i.e. #1) five times in his class. 4 times in his X and once in his "new" MR2. I was privileged to be on hand for number 5.

Here is the video I shot:

Again, obvious once you point it out!

Thanks - and thanks for not making Steve blow his own horn.

Not to worry. I won't tell you how my first attempt at fixing a transmission turned out :wall:

Thanks - and thanks for not making Steve blow his own horn.

HA! I never miss a chance to gloat :grin:

I do need to thank Jim though.

Yes, the first four Championships were in my faithful '80 DSP X. The car you see in my Avitar:

dsp_stevehoelscher01tour_1.gif

My favorite racecar of all time.

PeruTour3.jpg

A great car

Yes, the first four Championships were in my faithful '80 DSP X. My favorite racecar of all time.

I feel extremely privledged that I was allowed to drive that car once about 5 1/2 years ago, it was great!
If only I had known a few more things about that car I could have gone faster.

Thanks Steve for the best memories of that terrible weekend (other than singing happy birthday to my wife over the phone with two small kids that came out of nowhere)
Chris Obert

Back