5 Speed Rebuild Group Buy

Well, someday you'll get a core back from me. :) I'm still trying to work out my flywheel situation before I dive in...but alas finding a decent lightly modified lightened 1500 flywheel has been nearly impossible.

BJ...

Yur right about that...

I've never seen one except for the one I had modified. Unfortunately, my resource passed away but I am sure there are others out there.

You not only want the flywheel lightened, you want it re-balanced as well. I've seen/heard of a lot of places that will mill them but not re-balance them and I would stay away.

Why not re-post this "want" and I'm sure others will chip in with their known resources.

BTW... milling the flywheel scrubs about 3 - 4 pounds off it and what a difference it makes in spinning up the engine. I never felt any issue either in getting the car moving. Probably one of the best and easiest mods you can do for this car. You'll love it.

HTHs...

I spent a weekend observing Steve do his thing with one of the transmission.
He is meticulous in his work, if you need this kind of service, he 's the guy you want as the provider.

I just went to learn and by the end, I told him it was like drinking from the fire hose....I got a good drink, but there was a lot of water puddled at my feet.

He is meticulous in his work, if you need this kind of service, he 's the guy you want as the provider.

I just went to learn and by the end, I told him it was like drinking from the fire hose....I got a good drink, but there was a lot of water puddled at my feet.

Jimmy...

Back in '06 or so Steve flew out to LA to rebuild 5 transmissions at my home, he completed mine first. (I was trying to lay out all the parts consecutively so I could understand the way they worked and went back together.)

He picked them all up and dumped them all in a pan so I could clean them in mass.

Then he shows me the worn parts and the good parts and I thought they were just the opposite. Alas, he throws it all together and as he tightens the last bolt, stops and asks (me or himself) if he had torqued something down inside. I was so damn confused at the time I no longer knew which way was up!

He blows it apart, finds everything OK and puts it altogether again and says "There... all done".

Surrounding the trans on the table were various nuts, bolts, parts and washers and I just hadta ask... "Did you forget about these?" And he says something like: "It should be OK without them..."

Not exactly a confidence builder... but he was just having a bit of fun with me. HA!

Its now 13 years later and the same trans... I had two others prior and neither ever felt this good or were this robust. He is the GO-TO guy for this kinda work!

OK, mystery to solve here. I have gone through my list and can't figure this one out. Somebody sent me a transmission from Connecticut. The name on the label I don't recognize. Can somebody claim this unit? I have no idea.
If nobody claim this can I buy it from you. I could use a rebuilt tranny but I don't have a core to send you.

Mystery Solved.

If nobody claim this can I buy it from you. I could use a rebuilt tranny but I don't have a core to send you.

I will be glad to add you to my list for this go-round. And I just bought a couple of cores. They are getting hard to find and are no longer cheap, but I have a couple. PM me and I'll work out details.

Jimmy actually did great. Given he is a novice at automotive mechanics I am not surprised he was overwhelmed with information. Transmissions are complicated mechanisms that even experienced technicians have a hard time understanding.

By Sunday afternoon I had him building gear assemblies and he did the final stack of the gearset. With appropriate supervision. :)

Man I wish you were closer, I'd love to apprentice under your supervision on a few of these. but I think the commute would be a killer.;)

Other than the "Weekend at Tony's" this was the only time I had anybody really watch me build one of these. I trained a number of my employees when I owned a shop years ago. But that was always on the typical work we got in the shop. I never built any X1/9 units there.

Maybe I could do a seminar at FFO one year. That might be fun.

Hey Steve,

That reminds me when we had a solo2 rematch after a FFO in Vermont too many years ago. :cool:

The seminar doesn't have to be during the FFO. I think of a 2 days formula. I bet many of us would be willing to come over at your place or in a rented garage to rebuild our tranny Under your supervision, for the same cost or a regular rebuild but Learning at the same time when a parts is too worn, how to put things together correctly, which oïl to use (one of the more populare topic of this forum). Just choose when is the right time for you and if I could get some vacation, I'll be there and I'm sure I could drag at least one other Québec guy to split the gas and the room. Let us know if the idea is of any interest to you!

Sadly, the COVID situation has caused two customers of mine to cancel orders. I have one unit completed and ready to ship and another in process that are now available. I have steadily been working through my backlog the last 9 months. These were the last two orders from the last group.

If you have an interest please let me know.

Sadly, the COVID situation has caused two customers of mine to cancel orders. I have one unit completed and ready to ship and another in process that are now available. I have steadily been working through my backlog the last 9 months. These were the last two orders from the last group.

If you have an interest please let me know.

Sorry news for them... but I passed along your message to two potential guys on the LEFT coast here.

Regards to Terrie, hope you are all well!

Sorry news for them... but I passed along your message to two potential guys on the LEFT coast here.

Regards to Terrie, hope you are all well!

Thanks Tony. I'll pass along the regards to Terrie. Hope you and the missus are doing well. Hope to get back out that way soon. Maybe after we get back to some kind of normalcy.

Hi Steve, I may be intrested in a 1500 5 speed. I dont know when I could send you the core as it is still in the car. The trans was rebuild in 88 after a broken reverse. Third is beginning to be hard to find with out a little crunch.

Hi Steve, I may be intrested in a 1500 5 speed. I dont know when I could send you the core as it is still in the car. The trans was rebuild in 88 after a broken reverse. Third is beginning to be hard to find with out a little crunch.

Thanks for reaching out. Your situation with the core is typical. I can ship a unit, you can do the swap and return the core for credit.

Happy New Year everybody.

Today I finished up a 5 speed I have been working the last month, cleaned off my bench, organized some parts and did a quick inventory. With the completion of that unit I have no open orders on my books. This is the first time, since I first put up this post that I haven't had a waiting list.

So, my question is; do I order parts for more builds? My parts come from a couple of suppliers in Europe. And with shipping as it is they require a minimum order and I have to ship air freight. If you are reading this and want a unit please let me know. With COVID still disrupting my other business I still have some time to build a few over the next couple of months.

Please let me know.

And thanks to all of you who I have already built units for. I appreciate your business.

-Steve

Back