5 Speed Transaxle, Part Three Gear Sets.

Rupunzell

Bernice Loui
The input gear set and Pinion gear set from a 1979 transaxle.
Gear%2Bstack%2B%26%2BInput%2Bshaft.JPG

The reverse gear on the input gear set. This often gets chipped, worn and abused as previous owners and abuser crash the shifter into reverse gear. If this gear is excessively chipped or damaged, the entire input gear set will need to be replaced.
Input%2BShaft%2BReverse%2BGear.JPG

Gears, bearings, sliders and related removed from the final drive pinion gear spread out on the bench.
Gears%2BStack%2BApart%2BAll.JPG

3rd & 4th gear with slider:
3rd%2C%2B4th%2B%26%2BPinion.JPG

1st & 2nd gear with slider:
1st%2B%26%2B2nd%2BGears%2B%26%2BPinion%2Bgear.JPG

1st or 2nd gear with bearing removed, only significant difference is the OD of the gear and number of gear teeth.
1st%2B%26%2B2nd%2BBearing%2Bsurfaces.JPG

1st or 2nd gear syncro ring. This is Fiat's variation of the Borg Warner syncro introduced in 1967. Basically the Borg Warner syncro design (circa 1930's) inverted. For those who are curious about this syncro design, here is a link for more info.

http://books.google.com/books?id=af...=onepage&q=fiat inverted cone synchro&f=false

Check the gap between the syncro ring bottom edge -vs- bottom of the cone on the gear. If the gap is too small, the syncro ring or cone on the gear is worn. These syncros are pretty durable and rugged. If there is wear, it is often a worn syncro ring. Note the condition of the engagement teeth points. They should look like this one, the tips should be pointy and well defined with little to no rounded tips.
1st%2B%26%2B2nd%2BCone%2BSyncro%2BGap.JPG

Syncro ring removed exposing the cone on the gear;
1st%2B%26%2B2nd%2BCone%2B_%2BSyncro%2Binner.JPG

1st, 2nd, reverse hub & slider assembly.
vvagp077g_-C6fEIeluixGah2NCWqFX7Z_2s3egSJFA=w988-h982-no

1st, 2nd, reverse slider with the hub removed.
1st%2B%26%2B2nd%2BSlider%2BHub.JPG

1st, 2nd Hub apart. This illustrated the hub, detents and the spring one both sides of the hub. The circular springs have a bump that fits into each detent. Check these parts for wear. They are usually OK unless the gear box was abused.
1st%2B%26%2B2nd%2BSlider%2BHub%2Bdetents.JPG

This is how the syncro ring must fit into the hub. Note the tab orientation relative to the hub. If this is installed wrong, the slider will not move.
1st%2C%2B2nd%2BHub%2B%26%2BSyncro%2Bin%2Bplace.JPG

When installing the hub into the slider, note these notches in the hub relative to the detents. These must be properly oriented or the hub and slider will not fit together.
1st%2B%26%2B2nd%2BSlider%2BGroove%2B%26%2BHub.JPG

Hub, detents, slider assembled. Make sure the slider is oriented properly or reverse gear will not engage. The straight cut gear teeth on the slide should line up with the straight cut reverse gears on the input gear set when they are nested together. If they are not line up, the slider is backwards.
1st%2B%26%2B2nd%2BSlider%2B%26%2BHub%2B%26%2BDetents.JPG

Syncro ring installed. Do this prior to placing the assembled unit on to the 1st gear as this will help to prevent getting the syncro rings in the wrong position. Once the hub/slider assembly is installed onto the 1st gear, place 2nd gear on top making it into a 1st-2nd gear unit.
%21st%2B%26%2B2nd%2BSlider_Hub_Syncro.JPG

3rd & 4th gear hub and slider. 5th gear is near identical.
3rd%2B%26%2B4th%2Bslider%2B%2B%2BHub.JPG

3rd/4th slider is the most bashed part in this gear box next to reverse gear. The damage is caused by using a LOT of force on the gear lever in an attempt to get the gears to shift faster. No force on earth will result in Porsche/servo band syncros to engage or shift to the next gear faster. They require a finite amount of time to work and more force will not alter this fact and reality. This is what happens to the slider teeth as they are abused. When new, these slider teeth are pointy, well defined and not rounded at all.
1979%2Bexxe%2B%2B3-4%2Bslider%2Bworn%2Bteeth.jpg

A closer look:
1979%2Bexxe%2B%2B3-4%2Bslider%2Breally%2Bworn.jpg

Keep this in mind shifting into 3rd, 4th and 5th gears.

3rd, 4th and 5th gears have Porsche or Servo band syncros. These were introduced by Porsche to the world during 1953 in the Porsche 356. Since then Porsche or servo band syncros have been used in everything from Alfa Romeo to Ferrari to Porsche. All share the inherent problems with these Porsche syncros. Some where in the Mid-late 1980's Porsche stopped using this syncro design. This is the innards with the large snap ring removed.
1979%2Bexxe%2B%2B5sp%2C%2BPorsche%2BSyncro%2B%26%2Bgear.jpg

These are the internal components of the Porsche syncro, Outer band, braking rings, stop blocks.
l7vfIH-f7k_3q_Xek9IUUUMHrDJ5SXtEaDo4qiZv9Kg=w540-h404-p-no

Exploded view:
1979%2Bexxe%2B%2B5sp%2C%2BPorsche%2BSyncro%2Bexp%2Bview.jpg

Worn -vs- new outer syncro band. The band on the bottom has a polished and well worn surface, one on the top is new which is rough and textured. This textured surface generated the friction required against the slider to work the braking bands inside the syncro. Together they work to match the speed of the gears for the shift. Some folks flip the outer bands over to used the lesser worn surface against the slider. Sort of works, but not really. When one is this far into a gear box, worn parts like this should be replaced.
1979%2Bexxe%2B%2B5sp%2C%2BPorsche%2BSyncro%2Bbands%2Bworn%2B-vs-%2BOK.jpg

These are the braking bands inside the outer syncro band. This aid the outer band's grip on the slider. They do wear and should be replaced when they begin to look like these. There are impression marks from force applied to the tiny grooves inside the outer syncro band. Indication of the forces involved with how this syncro operates.
1979%2Bexxe%2B%2B5sp%2C%2BPorsche%2BSyncro%2Bbrake%2Bbands%2B%26%2Bgear.jpg

Notice how walloped the engagement teeth are on this 3rd gear from not waiting for the syncros to work and applying plenty of force trying to get 3rd to engage faster. Once this damage is done, it all goes down hill pretty fast. Changing or using different oil will not alter the fact these parts are damaged and will no longer shift properly.
1979%2Bexxe%2B%2B5sp%2C%2B3rd%2BGear%2Bchipped%2Bteeth.jpg

This is what a new third gear looks like;
1979%2Bexxe%2B%2B5sp%2C%2BNew%2B3rd%2BGear%2Bteeth%2Bside.jpg

A closer look. Notice the shape and condition of the engagement teeth which is what they should look like on the gear and slider.
I2i7cmOiUWUpYqV7OipfPef48ywsT6KDlVS_vvsu_Oc=w538-h402-p-no

This image of the gear bore is for the GL-1 users, note the wear an scoring on the inside bearing surface of the gear.
1979%2Bexxe%2B%2B5sp%2C%2B4th%2Bgear%2Bbearing%2Bsurface%2Bwear.jpg

Here is the sleeve bearing that lived in that gear, it is cooked. While GL-1 was the spec Fiat gear lube, there are much better gear box oils to use today. This why few can convince me using GL-1 in these gear boxes is actually a good thing today.
1979%2Bexxe%2B%2B5sp%2C%2B4th%2Bgear%2Bsleeve%2Bbearing%2Bworn.jpg

Stack 3rd & 4th back together with the slider and put it on the final drive pinion gear after 1st and 2nd gear stack is on the final drive pinion gear.
3%2B%26%2B4%2Bset%2Bon%2Bshaft.JPG

Pinion gear stack done.
1st%2C%2B2nd%2C%2B3rd%2C%2B4th%2Bon%2BPinion.JPG

This for those who enjoy slamming this gear box into reverse. Missing gear teeth often results from doing that.
1979%2Bexxe%2B%2B5sp%2C%2BRev%2Bgear%2Bshot%2B-vs-%2BOK.jpg

Next up, assembly.

Bernice

Very nice write-up...

...probably the only other thing worth mentioning, in regards to the theoretical workings of these gearboxes.....

Is how those delicate 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear synchro points, on the gear and the sliding sleeves are so critical in the initial power transmission.

Once locked into place, input shaft's torque load is shared and carried by the splined sliding sleeve hub, and the gears themselves, but during the transition, especially during a premature shift or application of input shaft rotation as the teeth are sliding together, those poor little synchro crown points are being asked to carry your engine's power all on their own.

That's why its so common for these teeth to be fractured, or the crown literally stripped or broken free from its gear.

It's also the main reason why people call these transmissions "glass".

Those little points are no match for 100+ HP and bad synchros and/or sloppy shifting skills.

-M

These wise words of advise apply to most gear boxes that use Porsche/Servo band syncros. On the x1/9 gear box, the engagement teeth get munched when abused. On bigger engined cars with a LOT more torque, it is possible to shear off all the engagement teeth causing the outer syncro band to escape causing the gear box to lock up or get stuck in gear.

Have a look at what happened to the Porsche syncros in this Alfa Romeo gear box. The outer syncro band escaped once the engagement teeth sheared off.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gea...-propshaft/213865-use-porsche-synchros-2.html

Same failure mode happens on Porsche 911's.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/pors...transmission-wont-go-into-first-1st-gear.html

Here are Porsche/Servo band syncros used in Ferrari 360 gearbox.
http://www.emblemsportscars.com/restoration/ferrari-360-spider.aspx

Ferrari 250 GTE:
http://www.emblemsportscars.com/restoration/ferrari-250-GTE.aspx

Dealing with problems/failures in these cars can get expensive real fast.

Point being, the reputation these Fiat gear boxes being fragile or being made of "glass" is shared with these other car brands. Yet when the Fiat gearbox grenades when abused, it is condemned for being a cheap Fiat, when the same happens on a up-market brands the comment becomes, "Cost of owning a performance car."

Here are some wise words from a Porsche fan about shifting cars with Porsche/servo band syncros. The "Two Finger Rule"
http://blog.dietersmotorsports.com/?page_id=231

Bernice

...probably the only other thing worth mentioning, in regards to the theoretical workings of these gearboxes.....

Is how those delicate 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear synchro points, on the gear and the sliding sleeves are so critical in the initial power transmission.

Once locked into place, input shaft's torque load is shared and carried by the splined sliding sleeve hub, and the gears themselves, but during the transition, especially during a premature shift or application of input shaft rotation as the teeth are sliding together, those poor little synchro crown points are being asked to carry your engine's power all on their own.

That's why its so common for these teeth to be fractured, or the crown literally stripped or broken free from its gear.

It's also the main reason why people call these transmissions "glass".

Those little points are no match for 100+ HP and bad synchros and/or sloppy shifting skills.

-M

These wise words of advise apply to most gear boxes that use Porsche/Servo band syncros. On the x1/9 gear box, the engagement teeth get munched when abused. On bigger engined cars with a LOT more torque, it is possible to shear off all the engagement teeth causing the outer syncro band to escape causing the gear box to lock up or get stuck in gear.

Have a look at what happened to the Porsche syncros in this Alfa Romeo gear box. The outer syncro band escaped once the engagement teeth sheared off.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gea...-propshaft/213865-use-porsche-synchros-2.html

Same failure mode happens on Porsche 911's.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/pors...transmission-wont-go-into-first-1st-gear.html

Here are Porsche/Servo band syncros used in Ferrari 360 gearbox.
http://www.emblemsportscars.com/restoration/ferrari-360-spider.aspx

Ferrari 250 GTE:
http://www.emblemsportscars.com/restoration/ferrari-250-GTE.aspx

Dealing with problems/failures in these cars can get expensive real fast.

Point being, the reputation these Fiat gear boxes being fragile or being made of "glass" is shared with these other car brands. Yet when the Fiat gearbox grenades when abused, it is condemned for being a cheap Fiat, when the same happens on a up-market brands the comment becomes, "Cost of owning a performance car."

""Here are some wise words from a Porsche fan about shifting cars with Porsche/servo band syncros. The "Two Finger Rule""
http://blog.dietersmotorsports.com/?page_id=231

Bernice

Bernice,
I really like the article "The two finger rule" some person changes their behavior when they are in a sports car.

Great write up :clap:.

I have taught many people (four sisters, my wife and many others) to drive a manual transmission and have always taught the two finger rule and the added admonishment that one need never shift quickly.

"Powershifting" is the bane of any manual transmission. Banging the next gear as seen so often in movies is guaranteed the death of a transmission...

Bernice,
I really like the article "The two finger rule" some person changes their behavior when they are in a sports car.

Great write up :clap:.

Last edited:
Anxiously awaiting Part 4 ...

:excited:

BTW Bernice, I'll run the compiled copy by you before sharing the entire doc as a downloadable PDF, if that's OK with you.
Really excellent work here.

Sure, there is more to come.

*Shift forks.

*Assembly & Testing.

If there are any specifics that need or should be covered, now is the time to ask as it can be put into this work.

If there are any images, notes or other that are needed for the downloadable .pdf, let me know.

Bernice

:excited:

BTW Bernice, I'll run the compiled copy by you before sharing the entire doc as a downloadable PDF, if that's OK with you.
Really excellent work here.

*Shift forks.

*Assembly & Testing.

If there are any specifics that need or should be covered, now is the time to ask as it can be put into this work.

If there are any images, notes or other that are needed for the downloadable .pdf, let me know.

Bernice
I have been reading parts 1-4 several times as I have been examining my '79 and '81 transmissions. Any chance that you have Part 5 available? Thanks, this is an amazing series.

Bernice[/QUOTE]
This image of the gear bore is for the GL-1 users, note the wear an scoring on the inside bearing surface of the gear.

Here is the sleeve bearing that lived in that gear, it is cooked. While GL-1 was the spec Fiat gear lube, there are much better gear box oils to use today. This why few can convince me using GL-1 in these gear boxes is actually a good thing today.

Bernice
I don't care to convince anybody of anything or even give my opinion on what one should use in their X1/9 (I won't even tell you what is in my car), but as I have defended the use of GL-1 in the past on this forum, I'll pick up the mantle. My assumption will be that when you write about "GL-1" and "much better gear box oils to use today" that the "GL-1" you are talking about is a mineral based oil and the "today" oils you are talking about are synthetics.

There are two classifications going on here: the API classifications for gear oils, and the source of the base stock (synthetic or non-synthetic). The API classifications are performance based and not formulaic. No one classification is older than another. The source of the base stock depends on the application. Base stock is usually 70-95% of the oil and the rest is additives. The two are not mutually exclusive. You can have synthetic GL-1, GL-4 or GL-5 just as you can have non-synthetic GL-1, GL-4 or GL-5.

What I think your evidence really shows (all though you must admit this is an uncontrolled test) is that in abusive conditions, synthetics out-perform mineral oils. Comparing a synthetic GL-4 to a non-synthetic GL-1 and using the results as evidence to condemn GL-1 is, not a fair comparison. I'd suggest that the difference in wear that you are seeing between those parts has more to do with synthetic vs. non-synthetic base stock than it has to do with the GL-4 classification vs. the GL-1 classification.

If anyone has any test data for synthetic GL-1 vs synthetic GL-4, I'd be very interested to see it.

So if someone wanted to stick with GL-1 but would like the added protection of a synthetic, synthetic GL-1 is available. IAP used to sell this long ago, but I see it on eBay these days.
http://spectro-oils.com/platinum-full-synthetic-transmission/

Again, not trying to convince anyone what to use. Just pointing out some things about oil. No offense intended.

Since the topic came up, I have been wondering what to put back in mine once it is back together. My son, who was really into hot Subaru's before he sold them off and moved on, gifted me 4 quarts of Motul Gear 300 synthetic 75-90W. It says it it GL-4 and GL-5 compatible. Should I consider using this or not because of the GL-5?

Hi Paul
Since the topic came up, I have been wondering what to put back in mine once it is back together. My son, who was really into hot Subaru's before he sold them off and moved on, gifted me 4 quarts of Motul Gear 300 synthetic 75-90W. It says it it GL-4 and GL-5 compatible. Should I consider using this or not because of the GL-5?

I wouldn't use anything that's GL5. From wikipedia: GL-5 has a lower coefficient of friction due to the higher concentration of EP additives over GL-4, and thus synchros can not engage as effectively. Also, transmissions which explicitly call for GL-4 oil may have been designed around this lower concentration of EP additives and thus may contain yellow metal parts which GL-5 will corrode.

(we don't have real yellow metal parts in X1/9s, but I actually do have replacement yellow metal shift forks - not just spray molybdenum tips, I'm talking the entire fork!)

I like Paul's suggestion for the synthetic GL1, I am going to try that.

I don't care to convince anybody of anything or even give my opinion on what one should use in their X1/9 (I won't even tell you what is in my car), but as I have defended the use of GL-1 in the past on this forum, I'll pick up the mantle. My assumption will be that when you write about "GL-1" and "much better gear box oils to use today" that the "GL-1" you are talking about is a mineral based oil and the "today" oils you are talking about are synthetics.

There are two classifications going on here: the API classifications for gear oils, and the source of the base stock (synthetic or non-synthetic). The API classifications are performance based and not formulaic. No one classification is older than another. The source of the base stock depends on the application. Base stock is usually 70-95% of the oil and the rest is additives. The two are not mutually exclusive. You can have synthetic GL-1, GL-4 or GL-5 just as you can have non-synthetic GL-1, GL-4 or GL-5.

What I think your evidence really shows (all though you must admit this is an uncontrolled test) is that in abusive conditions, synthetics out-perform mineral oils. Comparing a synthetic GL-4 to a non-synthetic GL-1 and using the results as evidence to condemn GL-1 is, not a fair comparison. I'd suggest that the difference in wear that you are seeing between those parts has more to do with synthetic vs. non-synthetic base stock than it has to do with the GL-4 classification vs. the GL-1 classification.

If anyone has any test data for synthetic GL-1 vs synthetic GL-4, I'd be very interested to see it.

So if someone wanted to stick with GL-1 but would like the added protection of a synthetic, synthetic GL-1 is available. IAP used to sell this long ago, but I see it on eBay these days.
http://spectro-oils.com/platinum-full-synthetic-transmission/

Again, not trying to convince anyone what to use. Just pointing out some things about oil. No offense intended.

Honestly we won't hold it against you if you state what you run.

As we all so rarely change gear oil and we all want to put the best, right thing in, I for one am looking for what I should put in.

On my new X I changed out the copious amount of bilious green, clearly old oil out of its transmission and replaced it at least to start with https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/motor-oil/vr1-racing-oil due to its high zinc content and that is should offer similar viscosity to the 80/90 gear oil.

I will look into the synthetic GL-1 for the first new fill after I rebuild the box which clearly needs plenty done to it. No fault of mine mind you.

Last edited:
Honestly we won't hold it against you if you state what you run.

As we all so rarely change gear oil and we all want to put the best, right thing in, I for one am looking for what I should put it in. On my new X I changed out the copious amount of bilious green, clearly old oil out of its transmission and replaced it at least to start with https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/motor-oil/vr1-racing-oil due to its high zinc content and that is should offer similar viscosity to the 80/90 gear oil.

I would certainly never recommend motor oil in a splash-lubricated manual transmission, but let's not further hijack Bernice's thread on oil issues and let's leave it as primarily a gearset thread. I just felt compelled to comment on the conclusions that were drawn about GL-1 vs. GL-4 and synthetic vs. non-synthetic based on her observations. You can PM me if you want.

Last edited:

*Shift forks.

*Assembly & Testing.

Bernice
Have You made a thread for assembling?

And thank You for other threads with detailed pictures, really helps :)

I can't wait to see what method you use for getting the circlip installed on top of the bevel washers. I can't tell you the number of things I tried before I figured it out correctly! ;)

I can't wait to see what method you use for getting the circlip installed on top of the bevel washers. I can't tell you the number of things I tried before I figured it out correctly! ;)
If You are saying this to me, then I thought about that while taking them off 😅, off was easy.

But I have in mind that in past have installed something similar somewhere..

At the moment I’m in the place where You put gear assembly into case, and take them out again and again because missed something 😅

Beans was easy- made a “U” hook from some funny thin tool I have, placed them into hook and slides into the slot.

That thin tool also helped to take those circlips off.

Back