5 Speed transmission 82 or 85

strangepod

1987 Bertone X1/9
I have a 5 speed that I got a few years back with the intent of rebuilding it, well it's just collecting dust. I can't remember if it is a 82 or an 85 but it's complete as far as I know. First person with a $100 bill gets it, don't know about shipping for this thing, that could get..interesting. Anyway I am located in Buford Ga, just outside of Atlanta.

John

John

I have the hundred dollar bill or its facsimile through paypal, perhaps it could ship through UPS Ground which I think would run @ 85-100.

Thank you

Karl

If you are unsure as to the year, the shaft indicated by the green arrow in the pic below might help solve the mystery. A 1982 trans would have the less desirable 16mm diameter reverse idler shaft and the 1985 would have the later more desirable 18mm shaft. IIRC a 1985 trans would have a shorter (numerically higher) 1st gear than 1982 which would add a bit of off-the-line pep to the car.

IMG_1117_LI.jpg

Also, I think there's a production date on the casting (if I recall correctly, it's on the 5th gear extension). It's been a while since I've looked!

Frankly if I needed a complete trans for any reason, I'm not sure the specific year, or diameter of the idler shaft would really matter that much. If I've understood Steve H's prior comments correctly, they both seem to have about the same level of occurrences. Opportunity to get one (and very reasonably priced) seems much more important. But that's just me.

My local transmission guru also says that the diameter of the reverse shaft does not matter.
If you treat the transmission well, both will last, if you abuse it, both will bend.

John, I either need to buy a bunch of replacement parts to repair one of my trans, or find a better one. Do you know what condition this one is in? You mentioned you bought it with the intent of rebuilding it. Does that imply it needs to be rebuilt (as in it is damaged or worn out)?

I was told by the gentleman that I got it from that it needed a rebuild, don't know how deep you would need to go into it.
John, I either need to buy a bunch of replacement parts to repair one of my trans, or find a better one. Do you know what condition this one is in? You mentioned you bought it with the intent of rebuilding it. Does that imply it needs to be rebuilt (as in it is damaged or worn out)?

This is still available, if anyone wants them and is going thru Atlanta area to the FFO, make me an offer, I'm JUST off of I-85 north of Atlanta but can meet you with a reasonable distance.

Hey,
Mike from Atlanta is purchasing my CMS wheels and he is going to use https://www.shipnerd.com. I got a quote from UPS for about $340 from Riverview, Florida to Atlanta, Georgia but he got a quote from Ship Nerd for $90. Maybe this information will help you sell the transmission.
Wished I could get it. I would love to learn how to rebuild one.
Mike (Florida)

Back