500e

Discussion in 'Nuova 500' started by Brett, Apr 20, 2015.

1. kmead

kmead Old enough to know better

Nice

I have considered one several times as I drive about 28 miles a day normally to and from work.

The 136 hours to recharge seems a bit off putting though as I don’t think I want to run 240 to the garage as my power comes into the other end of the house

2. ng_randolph

ng_randolph Bjorn H

With my driving, I average in excess of 4 miles / kWh, so your daily commute would only be about 7 kWh. That should be just about 5 hr of charging pr day with the included 110 V charger.

We have free 6 kW chargers at work, so I don't charge at home much.

kmead likes this.
  3. kmead

kmead Old enough to know better

I think we have a few charge spots but am not sure. I should look into this a bit more. Thanks!

4. gwbfiat

gwbfiat True Classic

I just want to tell everyone that I bought a 2015 Fiat 500e in January of this year (2017). It had 16,000 miles on it when I bought it and now it has just over 32,0000 miles. No problems at all so far with the car. I just bought new tires however as the original Firestones that come with the car wear out very fast. I bought Bridgestone Ecopia Plus tires as a replacement and I hope that they give me more life than the original tires. The Bridgestones have better traction for sure and if they last longer than the Firestones then I will be happy.

My wife and I drive this car when we have local commutes that are within the range of the car's capability and for 80% of our driving this car is just perfect for both the range and it's size. We both love driving the car and the fact that it is the best buy of any car out there and it is extremely cheap to run and costs almost nothing to maintain is a bonus that I can easily deal with. In town acceleration is great due to the torque of the electric motor. It is fun to see the shock on people's faces when they get blown away by a crappy little Fiat 500 sprinting ahead of them from a stop light and not being able to catch up. Most people have no idea that the car is electric they only think that they know that Fiats are shity cars. I am glad that I know otherwise!

geekdaddy and kmead like this.
  5. Coupefan

Coupefan True Classic

I know this is an older thread, but that figure of 136 hours to charge on a 115 Vac input is wrong (the algorithm that computes it is going nuts). Even at a 1000 watts, a power level lower than some hair dryers, a 24 kWh battery (the 500e's battery size) will only take 24 hours to charge.

The 2015 I picked up a few weeks back is doing wonderfully. Over 900 miles without a penny going to some oil company executive. My level 2 charger should be installed in a few weeks, giving me a full recharge in less than four hours. But right now the 115 vac works just fine while I'm sleeping, topping it off by morning.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  6. Coupefan

Coupefan True Classic

IMG_0507.jpg By the way, this is the best level'of charge/range I've been able to achieve

kmead likes this.
  7. Andy

Andy True Classic

If things get weird with the charging system try disconnecting the 12v battery for a bit. I have had my e a little over a year now and it's been great! A couple of weeks ago I jumped in to go home for lunch and the dash told me I had zero charge and I needed to have my battery system checked. I turned the key on and off several times and eventually it acknowledged the charge, but still had the check engine light.

I managed to limp it home (just over 3 miles) without incident. I disconnected the 12v battery, but it on a charger, and left the car overnight. The next day I connected the 12v battery and all was well. No re-occurrence of any issues. I guess it's like a hard reboot to the computers.

Anyway something to keep in mind.

Still loving my e!

8. roadster27

roadster27 True Classic

Morgan had to have the 12v battery replaced the day after she purchased her car. She was getting error messages on the display. A google search showed this is a common fault when the 12v battery is going bad.

Fortunately her car is still under warranty, but it's not the first time a new Fiat was towed away in the first 24 hours of ownership in my family. My X1/9s headgasket failed the day after I drove it home from the dealer back in 1979. I had to wait three weeks to get my car back. Lucky for her, she got her car back the next day.

9. Andy

Andy True Classic

Entropy has a way of making itself known. Last night I had a quick flash of Turtle mode on my display. Then it went away and the car continued to operate manually. I guess it's time to replace the 12v battery.
    I do still need to have the most recent recall performed, this is an issue that can cause the main battery to be discharged completely due to it trying to charge the 12v battery. My closest authorized Service Center is about 100 miles away. So Far FCA has been good about arranging transport for my vehicle to and from the dealer for recall work. Hopefully the local dealership will eventually get a service tech authorized to work on the EV.

10. roadster27

roadster27 True Classic

So is that Redding or Eugene? I'm surprised that Lithia doesn't have have a trained mechanic in the Medford area.

11. Andy

Andy True Classic

Roseburg actually, and yes, I am surprised too, I am pretty sure they have a Nissan tech as the sell a lot of Leafs. As far as I know there are only 2 500es here in Medford.

12. gwbfiat

gwbfiat True Classic

Just in case anybody cares, I currently have 58,000 trouble free mile on my 2015 Fiat 500e Sport. So far this is definitely one of the best cars that I have ever owned! An absolute joy to drive, cheap to buy (second hand!) and very cheap to run and maintain. What more could you ask for?

George

myronx19, kmead and JimD like this.