500e

My 500e broke 50k miles last month while providing operating energy costs under 4 cents a mile when I plug in at home which is 95 percent of the time. I treat "Buzz" like my cell phone, plug it in at night and when I wake, it's charged and ready to go.

My 4 wheeled iPhone.

Attachments

• IMG_20190329_162141492.jpg
    IMG_20190329_162141492.jpg
    476.3 KB · Views: 112
My 500e broke 50k miles last month while providing operating energy costs under 4 cents a mile when I plug in at home which is 95 percent of the time. I treat "Buzz" like my cell phone, plug it in at night and when I wake, it's charged and ready to go.

My 4 wheeled iPhone.
Premium was $5.09 in Dana Point today. Maybe Stellantis USA can rethink bringing the NEW, 500e over….
Note: our 2017 Abarth rings in at .18 cents per mile at today’s petrol prices…

Last edited:
A new record! It actually went to 0% about 1.5 miles from home, but it still got us here! Yayyy Fiat! The battery is actually starting to degrade a little and our range has decreased.. We haven't found a cost effective way to replace the battery in this car yet but we would really like to find some way to keep it as it's been nearly zero maintenance costs for our entire ownership since new(2015). Just tires and wiper blades.... 60,000+ miles!
IMG_20151107_120106_976.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20221021_204738845.jpg
    IMG_20221021_204738845.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Just FYI for anyone who is interested, Fiat is holding a press conference on 11/17/22 at the LA auto show for the debut of the new Fiat 500e for the US market! You can watch the debut live through a link on the Fiat USA website: www.fiatusa.com

You can also find additional information on the Fiat 500 USA website: www.fiat500usa.com

George

No doubt, the 'Fix It Again' will be falling over themselves with this announcement, because nobody checks how many recalls Toyota has yearly. I haven't had a single recall on my 2017 Abarth. A few problems, but no recalls. The 'e' version should be very reliable. And yes, you can't drive 100 meters in Italy (and a fair amount of Europe) without seeing a 500 of some ilk. Stellantis just has to accept that the numbers won't be Tesla numbers. On a daily drive in SoCal, I still see far more 500's than I see Geo's.

George,

Responding to your November 2022 post. Your car and my car (also a 2015 E) are just about neck and neck at almost 100,000 miles. Happy to report I’ve had exactly ZERO problems. Zero. Nada. Nothing. I’ve had it since 19K miles and October 2018.

George,

Responding to your November 2022 post. Your car and my car (also a 2015 E) are just about neck and neck at almost 100,000 miles. Happy to report I’ve had exactly ZERO problems. Zero. Nada. Nothing. I’ve had it since 19K miles and October 2018.
How's the milage/range on it now? My 2015 has less than 70,000 on it, but the range has dropped quite a bit... Plus now, it's actually losing charge after sitting in the driveway for a couple of days... We're pretty upset that car will have be just thrown away, as the rest of it still looks brand new... It has been nothing but trouble free, but there doesn't seem to be a financially viable way to replace the battery...😡

Hi guys! Lowtechprime I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I know that there are outliers amongst the group that have issues. I've heard of people getting their battery replaced under warranty etc... I am very pleased to report that my particular 2015 Fiat 500e currently has 99,385 miles on it right now and it is still performing very well. I would say that I probably have about 10% battery degredation since I bought the car in January of 2017 and it had 17,000 miles on it then. On warm days now the guess o meter tells me I have around 80 miles of range and it used to say 90 miles. I really don't think I would push more than a 60 mile trip total right now realistically otherwise I may get stuck and not be able to make it back home. It may not sound like much but the reality of it is for us my wife is driving the car to work and back and that is only about 30 miles total. We really don't need much range for the daily use that the car needs to provide for us which is lucky as the range it the weakest part of the car even when they were new and the battery was fresh.

Last year in November my wife and I almost traded the 500e in on a new Bolt EUV. They were going to give us $6,000 as a trade in value which I thought was not bad at all. I paid $10,500 for the car with 17,000 miles on it. We changed our mind and bought a 2023 Tesla Model 3 long range instead and kept the 500e when Tesla was offering the $7,500 rebate before the end of the year. I never was planning on buying a Tesla but I have to say that now that I own one and I am driving it I absolutely love it. The car is amazing and it has definitely turned me into a Tesla fan. I am still holding out hope that Fiat will be offering a new electric car in our market in the near future that I will like but I am worried that they will not be priced competitively. We will see. In the mean time we are going to keep driving the 500e as long is it keeps going. Once it happens to die for some reason I guess I will have to figure out some way to dispose of it. As far as I am concerned the car has performed amazingly well and to date it still hasn't given me any problems. It is still the best car that I have ever owned by far!

George

Yes, we tried to get it replaced under warranty before it expired but Fiat refused...😡 We leased this car new in 2015 for 3 years, then bought it for $10,000 afterwards... We also, have really enjoyed this car.. Sadly, unless the Abarth electric comes here there is no electric car that I would want to drive, the only thing I like about the Tesla's is the range.. Pretty much hate everything else about them, so I'm not sure where that leaves us...😤

@Lowtechprime

sorry, I just noticed your response. I used to regularly record my two way average usage on two different routes, summer and winter, to get a reliable average for any battery degradation by comparing it directly to miles (range). Too many variables will throw that off, like driving style, random air conditioning use, wider tires, etc. so…

I‘ve instead started looking at battery percentage for any direct correlation to battery degradation. What I found was interesting: Is the car calculating and displaying things correctly? What factor (s) are altering that number? Using the same point to point record keeping, I’ve found it now takes me 3-5 more percentage points to cover the same distance. Think about that for a moment. Has the car gotten more inefficient, meaning it needs to waste more charge to cover the same distance? Is it displaying calculated numbers differently than it did when i got it in 2018, like how much it believes the battery charge sits at or how quickly the battery is discharging? Or is the charge not all going to driving the motor…internal resistance, some other parasitic effect, causing more energy to wasted to get the same job done? One other observation, completely new as it started just recently. I can park the car at night with say, 50% charge showing. In the morning it’s crept up to 54%.

@Coupefan - The guess-o-meter tries to estimate your range. I've read that it's based on your use since you last restarted the car, but also since you last charged the car. So, if you charge to 100% and drive immediately on the freeway at 60mph for a few miles, it'll give you an estimated number based on that level of speed and acceleration. Then slow down, and drive on local roads for awhile, decreasing the power use for the same number of miles, and the car will recalculate and your range estimate will go up.

Ambient temperature changes can also change the guess-o-meter. As can use of the hvac system - turning on the hvac drops the estimated distance immediately.

The computer has some calculation based on charge percentage, hvac use, ambient temperature, recent use history (since recharge or since restart).

A hot car parked on a hot day after driving on the interstate with the AC on will have an estimated range that is different than that same car the next cool morning with the hvac turned off.

As far as charging, I have not been able to read if the charging percent is the percentage of charge as compared to brand new and fully charged, or the percentage of charge of what the battery is currently capable of storing, but i suspect it is the latter.

Back