53 Years Later.....

Dan Sarandrea (Phila)

Waitin' On Parts...
The 1966 Lamborghini Miura would like to welcome the 2020 Corvette to the Mid-Engine Club.

1920px-Lamborghini_Miura_%28Kirchzarten%29_jm20695.jpg

$

It's about f'n time, haven't they been talking about a mid-engined 'Vette since the C3?

I think the Miura is the most beautiful car ever designed. When it first came out I was astonished by it and it still gets my heart going.

I have a buddy that is (actually 'was') a Corvette fan. He has owned a few of them, each being the latest top of the line at the time. The last couple of models have had very quick acceleration. The handling is a mixed bag; for being pretty near 50/50 weight distribution they still understeer a lot. But frankly the quality of them leaves the most to be desired in my opinion. Especially the interiors; they look like typical American plastic cars inside. And he has had his share of mechanical issues as well, including the electronic steering failing at speed while turning a corner - resulting in the removal of a tree (hence why he 'was' a fan). He likes to say they offer a lot of bang for the buck, and I have to say they are much less expensive than other cars in the same performance class. However I'm not sure about that last fact with this mid-engine one. I think for that kind of money you can get more from other choices. At least it is beginning to look more like a real sports car (although I'll reserve that judgement until I see it in person...they have a knack for making them seem much more appealing in the photos). Reminds me of the Acura NSX.

I put this photo and text together in Photoshop last Christmas as a gift to my new brother in law who has everything. I had mentioned the Frank Sinatra quote when looking at his new Lambo and he said he had never heard it before.
Sinatra lambo-1024x689 text.jpg

Anyway, I drew his name for the annual family gift exchange and what do you give the man who has everything? Well, everything except a custom Lambo related print in a really nice frame. :) The car in the picture was actually briefly owned by Sinatra.

It has sweet deep pile orange carpet too.
sinatra lambo_miura003.jpg

I think the Miura is the most beautiful car ever designed. When it first came out I was astonished by it and it still gets my heart going.
I was stunned when I first saw one in the wild. It was coming toward me on a 2 lane back road in the Columbus OH area. I almost drove off the road! Bellissimo!

The mid-engined Vette is finally here and what a thrill for the kid in me that has wanted one for a very long time. The devil is in some dark details however. No manual transmission option? Encrypted diagnostic data? Weird console buttress with a million HVAC buttons. Available with color coordinated plastic engine cover options?

Meh, no thanks.

Back