'58 600 resto-mod to Abarth 850 TC nurburgring

Discussion in 'Rear-Engine Fiats' started by myredracer, Feb 8, 2018.

1. kmead

kmead Old enough to know better

Congrats on all that you have done. An amazing amount of work to bring all that together. I can assure you the original cars were never handfit to this level.

2. myredracer

myredracer True Classic

The project has been put aside for the winter while I concentrated on my 1300/124 project. The painting season will be here one of these days so I need to get the body ready for paint, which I'll probably do myself in the driveway. I just finished putting seam sealer on and block sanding the body. I stitch-welded many of the seams which are now mostly covered by the seam sealer. I want to spray on the rubberized/paintable undercoating as soon as I can because I need the rotisserie the 600 shell is on so I can work on the underside of my 1300/124. I need a day where it's at least 20C (68F) and while we had some good days a few weeks ago, it's just too cold now.

DSCF0684.JPG

kmead, Frank L. Di Gioia and NM850 like this.
  3. myredracer

myredracer True Classic

I wasn't happy with the way the front fenders looked. The radius of the filler work I had previously done was a little too tight and didn't "flow" smoothly all the way round the fender opening. So I just finished some more work with filler to make a larger radius. Looks much better now. Need to get some primer back on. I didn't have anything with a suitable radius to evenly spread the filler. Dinner plate to the rescue! Cleaned the filler off it with some lacquer thinner and put it in the dishwasher. Nobody else will ever know...

Tomorrow I'm going to flip the body over, mask it off and start spraying undercoating on. Then I can can get it off the rotisserie and onto my dolly. DSCF0724.JPG DSCF0727.JPG

NM850 likes this.
  4. myredracer

myredracer True Classic

Got the undercoating sprayed on today. Not sure if I will paint it or leave it black. I need less work, not more... Next step on the project is paint! Now I can get the body off the rotisserie and onto the dolly I've had my 1300/124 on. The painting weather wont't be here for a couple of months so I can get back onto the working on the 1300/124 body. DSCF0733.JPG DSCF0735.JPG

5. myredracer

myredracer True Classic

After 2+ years of some serious rust repair and modifications, I got the entire body painted over the past few days. I used single stage 2K urethane. I wanted to use a matting agent (flattener) so it would be more like the original enamel paint and not glossy like today's paints, but I read about too many problems on the internet of issues using a matting agent. The color is Fiat 363 light green. I was not able to find a paint manufacturer's paint code so I got the autobody paint supplier to match it with a spectrophotometer using a piece of original painted metal I kept. Came out pretty dang close. I love this color and glad I didn't change it.

I am really happy with the way it turned out. I've had many sleepless nights thinking about orange peel, runs everywhere, dust, and bugs all over. Actually almost looks like it was done by a body shop. :) The last time I painted a car was decades ago with acrylic enamel. The urethane paint seems to lay down better to me. I also bought a half decent HVLP gun to do it.

I did the painting in our driveway. Had to do it in the late evening because we get wind almost every day and doesn't die down until the evening and also so I'd be out of the full sun. I had just over an hour to do it before it got too dark and started to cool down too much. I'm very happy with the way it turned out. Only a couple of small runs that will be easy to fix. Since this wasn't done in a fancy dust-free booth, I'm planning to wet sand the exterior and then buff it out.

I painted the floor a few months ago using Rustoleum. I putting sound deadening mats over it so it didn't have to look perfect. I also painted the front trunk with undercoating. I could have painted it and the undercarriage with the exterior color but would have added a heck of a lot of extra work for not much of a real gain.

DSCF0908.JPG DSCF0906.JPG DSCF0907.JPG DSCF0905.JPG

I hung the rear engine lid, front trunk like and rear engine panels on a rope I strung across the driveway. The doors were too heavy so I did one side at a time.

DSCF0921.JPG
    The rear fenders took forever to sand out the filler and blend in the convex and concave curves. Turned out really nice. I'm more than impressed!

DSCF0910.JPG

I masked off the interior and painted the outside first. Too hard to paint the exterior and interior at the same time. The paint hardens overnight so is easy to mask off the following day. This is the exterior shortly before painting and when I was doing the final checking for imperfections and doing a few touch-ups with high-build urethane primer.

DSCF0890.JPG

The the exterior got masked off and I painted the underside of the roof, dash, below the dash, A-pillar, B-pillar and around rear and 1/4 windows. Masking off a body sure takes a long time and is pretty tedious.

DSCF0904.JPG

I couldn't resist installing a few items in the engine compartment today. Since I'll be doing some wet sanding on the exterior, I can't really do much more until that's done. Mechanical gauge on the remote oil filter is temporary until I've verified the gauge on the dash is reading correctly.

DSCF0924.JPG

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  6. kmead

Nice. That is a lot of work. Impressive. The color looks really good.

WantAnX1/9 likes this.
  7. Jeff Stich

Jeff Stich True Classic

Might be my monitor color settings are off, but that "light green" looks almost white to me. Is this just the lighting?

8. NM850

NM850 True Classic

Looks great

WantAnX1/9 likes this.
  9. myredracer

myredracer True Classic

It's my camera. Time for a new one. Sometimes the color in photos comes out great and sometimes not no matter what the settings or light conditions. Here's a couple that are closer. Still not quite right, but a lot better. The color is a sort of wintergreen mint candy.

DSCF0936.JPG

DSCF0934.JPG

10. WantAnX1/9

WantAnX1/9 Stuck in gear, leaking fluids, fire in progress...

This thread is heaven.

I can't wait to read it all.

NM850 likes this.
  11. kmead

Some of the variations of Fiat pale greens
    C528DFFF-3FA9-4E19-991B-11906406AE11.jpeg

khnitz likes this.
  12. myredracer

myredracer True Classic

^^^ Interesting! It's pretty hard to read but it looks like that has the Glasurit mix numbers? I wonder if those can still be matched? Looks like my original color might have been the #315, Verde chiaro.

kmead likes this.
  13. Frank L. Di Gioia

Frank L. Di Gioia True Classic

Super nice restoration! I really like your roll out railroad style trestle!

NM850, WantAnX1/9 and kmead like this.
  14. WantAnX1/9

WantAnX1/9 Stuck in gear, leaking fluids, fire in progress...

This car will be epic when it is complete.

Great craftsmanship here, mate!

NM850 likes this.
  15. Wow, that sure did turn out nice! Well done!

dnudelman likes this.
  16. Frank L. Di Gioia

Frank L. Di Gioia True Classic

Fantastic job! BTW the oil pressure gauge looks fine where it is, I'd suggest leaving it there.

17. myredracer

myredracer True Classic

Have been doing a little more work but am trying to focus more on my 1300/124 and see if I can do some media blasting and get some primer on it before the weather turns to non-stop rain for the next 6 months.

A few weeks ago I made up some seat brackets for my Corbeau seats. I used a pair of old original Fiat 600 seat frames and cut them down (as indicated by yellow dashed lines) and modified them so I could get the right height from seat bottom to the floor. I did a bunch of test mock-ups with the seat on top of wood blocks until the seat position felt about right. Then I made the new bracket using some 1/8" angle "iron" and flat bar and did it so the tilt could be adjusted a bit and also moved forward or rearward if needed. I welded some nuts on the inside (as indicated with green arrows) and put some holes in the outside piece to provide the adjustment. Then I media blasted the two new brackets outside and painted them with epoxy primer and then the topcoat.

The seat is a tight squeeze but is a nice fit and the seat back and bottom angle and fore/aft location is good. Definitely comfortable and snug and waaay nicer than the very uncomfortable original seats. I previously welded some plates to the floor pan for a possible future roll bar but not sure if it would fit with these seats unless I can move them forward a little and still be able to sit in the seat okay.

Also have included a sneak preview of the suspension work. The photo is the the trailing arm setup showing the conversion from drums to 124 rear disc brakes and CV joint (in place of original rubber-filled coupling). I want to get the front & rear suspension bolted in so I can get the car off the dolly and on to some wheels.

DSCF1011_LI (2).jpg DSCF1008_LI.jpg DSCF1014.JPG DSCF1121.JPG

khnitz likes this.
  18. Daniel Gibson

Daniel Gibson True Classic

The car looks amazing.