5x5 - Restoring 5 X1/9 over 5 Years.

And here is the challenging rescue :) This is a 78 Series Special that was being used as a plug for somebody's race project... First task - strip all the garbage off and see what I have. It is more complete than expected as suspension [less struts] and steering all there.

Plug Car.jpg

"I am literally doing it for the mechanical jigsaw pleasure and my admiration for the design."

And a darn good reason that is! The packaging is inspired. I know of no other auto that I admire as much as the X1/9.

and then there were 6... Pics to follow next week. Another 79 in bits. A stalled restoration but at least they started in the right place. Shell has rust repairs complete [new floors etc] and is part way thru paint [frunk and boot finished, underside of floor all done in one of the protective systems] Reason for sale? Tired of waiting for the rresto so bought an 88 Bertone in top condition and are driving that. :)

This one will be the first I complete.

OK... Well I have picked up the shell which has sat on a rotisserie for many years - bonus rotisserie included in sale :) Here we are arriving home:
20230924_151332.jpg
Magenta rather than pink I am told. There is a hint of mystery in this first pic for those with a keen eye for colour. Following pic adds
20230924_153509.jpg
As does next pic
20230924_153745.jpg
The car is plated 03/80 and 589 gold metallic. But I am seeing some 390 green in places....
Bertone using up the paint in the gun? Changeing the production order late?

Last edited:
Picking up the componentry late this week and the PO is delivering the interior soft stuff in about 2 weeks time. Run out of time today to really start looking at the detail but I do expect to find myself re-doing things PO had done. It is the way of life.

Back