'68 850 Spider Restoration

Mark

FIATFREAK
I spent several hours today refinishing all the interior vinyl. Everything was in good shape; just a little faded from 45 years of aging. I bought a quart of SEM Color Coat in Landau Black and applied it with a gravity feed gun:

I had the seats reupholstered about 21 years ago. They have been waiting patiently in storage for the rest of the interior.

That, the piece near the floor behind the seats and the piece around the windshield, are getting replaced.

You're making me depressed because I am such a slack bastidge whose 850 is much like it was when I bought it in 1990.

Looking great. Nice work as always

Great job!
The uninstalled parts look really nice. Please post pics of the finished product, when done. Also would like to see how the seats look, before you install them.

I think I'll make this thread a restoration progress report:

Here's a recent shot:

Like my temporary engine mount:)
Detail shot;

Last edited:
Don't feel bad, my car sat unloved for about as long...

You're making me depressed because I am such a slack bastidge whose 850 is much like it was when I bought it in 1990.

Looking great. Nice work as always

Started in on the hardtop.
I stripped the old paint and next will epoxy prime it.

Dig that factory leading!

Last edited:
Yesterday I prepped the bare steel with an acid wash and then applied 2 wet coats of epoxy primer:

Today, I sanded it with 220 and shot several coats of high build 2K urethane primer:

Lots of block sanding and filling to follow. This thing needs to be as perfect as the rest of the car!

Looks good...

Looks good. How come you aren't removing the rear window? Wouldn't it turn out better that way? Or is the rubber too hard, and no replacement available?

They never seem to go back together as well as they started.
I inserted a chord under the edge of the rubber to raise it above the metal. When it's finished, you'll never know it wasn't removed.

Mark,
Looking VERY GOOD!! I really like it!
What are the engine and trans details????
This was mine....
9711825419_25fe822cc6.jpg

I sold it and it got converted to VW Power.
9715078910_96c2574d9f.jpg

Last edited:
That was an awesome car. Did I hear it got wrecked? Can't imagine that much power in an 850.:eyepop:

Right now the engine and transmission is stock. Once I get it finished I'll start looking into alternative powertrains. Hayabusa would be cool.

Mark,
Looking VERY GOOD!! I really like it!
What are the engine and trans details????
This was mine....
9711825419_25fe822cc6.jpg

I sold it and it got converted to VW Power.
9715078910_96c2574d9f.jpg

Wow...

Looks really nice. Me, I hate black engine bays but it looks "clean" at least. No side markers on '68's?

I do all my cars with black engine bays and trunks. Never cared for body colored engine bays. Plus, easier to touch up and sometimes I change my mind on the exterior color.
The early '68s with the covered headlights didn't have side marker lights. Not a fan of marker lights either

Back