'68 850 Spider Restoration

I didn't know that. It's a clean, crisp look. Pure is word I'm looking for, really shows the lines. The interior is amazing. Makes me miss my '72.

Re: Moretti

Nice job.
I had a Moretti 850S on the same chassis butt totaly differend body

The Moretti 850S was based on the 850 Sedan chassis, not on that of the 850 Spider. (The difference is in the middle 1/3 of the chassis, basically the entire floorpan section) :geek:

Very nice!

Great job so far on the car! I had a few of the same "custom" styling cues incorporated on my old '69 Spider back in the '90's, ie: clear front turn lenses, deleted bumper overriders, full early interior including blacked-out dash insert panels/gauges, black carpet kit, early ribbed alloy taillight panel. Even had the same Campagnolo wheels on it for a short time! :D All of the small details like that really add up in the end, the result being a very sleek, clean look.

A few tips: You might want to "re-clock" your distributor so that the wires are pointing towards the radiator side of the car - they'll be less prone to drying out/hardening from rising exhaust manifold heat that way (mainly the boots). Also, you have the interior door handles (armrests) backwards - they should be swapped door-to-door (large end goes towards the front of the car). :thumbsup:

Which engine did you go with on this? The original 843/817cc or a 903cc? Original transmission or improved?

Thanks for the heads-up on the arm rests, Jeff.
I still need to time the distributor and repair a sticking starter solenoid.
The engine and transmission are both stock. I'd like to find a 1050 to put in it.

I'm deeply impressed

the car has really come along so nicely. How does she drive?

Jeff caught my armrests as backwards too, but after I swapped them to correct facing I found them less comfortable, so redid them backwards again.

I've got to get out and work on mine, I've neglected her for too long.

Last edited:
Piling on here, it looks lovely. You have done a magnificent job. So much to be proud of in the work you have done.

Love the early steering wheel and all the myriad details you have done so very well indeed.

Looks like a little alignment work still needs to be done? The steering wheel looks to be straight but the wheels are decidedly turned to the left.

Good eye. The steering wheel isn't bolted down yet and the car is still up on jacks awaiting a few underside details.

I too like that particular steering wheel even more so than the three spoke Abarth wheel I initially installed while I was restoring the original.

Love the early steering wheel and all the myriad details you have done so very well indeed.

Looks like a little alignment work still needs to be done? The steering wheel looks to be straight but the wheels are decidedly turned to the left.

I too like that particular steering wheel even more so than the three spoke Abarth wheel I initially installed while I was restoring the original.

You just need an early-style horn button to go with that steering wheel - the later black/red type you have just doesn't do it any justice.:) :2c:

Let us know when you find a few, the early horn button is indeed a handsome item. Pretty sure I don't have one. Or that I haven't bought one from you previously...

You just need an early-style horn button to go with that steering wheel - the later black/red type you have just doesn't do it any justice.:) :2c:

I have the correct black and gold early horn button. I wanted to find one that was black and silver because I think the gold looks out of place without the gold gauges (which I din't care for).

What I have...

What I have is close but different:
IMG_20140226_130847223_HDR_zps3ca0d18b.jpg

Wow, now that looks right. The other silver one would also look just as nice.

Really excellent job on everything.

How much did you shorten the shifter out of curiosity?

Karl

Back