72 850 Pertronix Info

gene cooley

Autocrosser
I am taking my 72 850 out of storage and getting it back on the road. I read what I could find on Pertronix Ignitions (+ and -) and have decided to go ahead and give it a try.
The distributor is a Marelli S156AX.

Ignitor or Ignitor II?

Pertronix matching coil or any good quality coil?

Plugs?

Does anyone keep these in stock? Jegs and Amazon (from Jegs) are saying there's a 3 week wait. I'm hoping that a Fiat supplier might keep some on the shelf.

Thanks.

Either the MR-LS2 or MR-LS3 the LS3 deals with dwell better apparently.

AutoRicambi has them in stock. Same kit for early block mount distributors on a 124 as the 850 apparently from the many listings I have perused.

Either the MR-LS2 or MR-LS3 the LS3 deals with dwell better apparently.

AutoRicambi has them in stock. Same kit for early block mount distributors on a 124 as the 850 apparently from the many listings I have perused.

Thanks. I'll start there and get one ordered.

Any good coil will work. I use Bosch. Plugs, I like NGk BP6ES

Thanks for the coil and plug info.

Looks like my Marelli distributor
(S156AX) is a European model. Rather than picking another one off the shelf in the garage it's been recommended that I just buy straight from Pertronix to match the distributor.

Thanks to MWB for the distributor info.

Looks like it's time to spend money....

Take the distributor out and check the play on the shaft. They get worn and it causes erratic timing.

Take the distributor out and check the play on the shaft. They get worn and it causes erratic timing.

I checked when I put it (back??) in the car. It's in good shape. I'm not sure if it came with the 850 or in a box of distributors I got with the 600.
Someone must have bought it as a replacement part. Don't think it's been used very much.

Pertronix Ignitor II and coil are on the way by air from CA to VA.

I put a Pertronix MR-LS1 and matching coil into the distributor for my 124 sedan's 1438 OHV. I was very happy with the results and the car is still starting and running better than pre-Pertronix. I did have some issues getting the unit bolted into my distributor, but nothing insurmountable.

Good luck!

I put a Pertronix MR-LS1 and matching coil into the distributor for my 124 sedan's 1438 OHV. I was very happy with the results and the car is still starting and running better than pre-Pertronix. I did have some issues getting the unit bolted into my distributor, but nothing insurmountable.

Good luck!

Apparently Pertronix is Flamethrower so my coil is some variation of that.
My distributor uses a (9)MR-142A Ignitor II.
Everything should be here Thursday, I'll report back when I see how it fits.
We will try to start it Saturday.

Curious if the car will run better with the petronix. I have one laying around that I think is for an X1/9, but may work for my 850. Will have to check closer.

Last edited:
Curious if the car will run better with the petronix. I have one laying around that I think is for an X1/9, but may work for my 850. Will have to check closer.

I've only driven this one once and that was before I bought it. I hope it runs better than it did then, but ignition wasn't it's only problem.

Normally ignition upgrades don't make a huge difference, but if nothing else, it may improve starting and idle. With only 53 HP, every little bit helps.

Normally ignition upgrades don't make a huge difference, but if nothing else, it may improve starting and idle. With only 53 HP, every little bit helps.

This will be my first street 850 with a 903. All of the others were 843s and 817s.
My only other 903 was a '70 H Production racecar that I autocrossed.

I have an A112 Marelli electronic ignition setup for my 1050cc, 903-based motor. Also another Marelli setup for my OHV 1608cc 1438-based motor. Both distributors are new and the coil modules are used. Not cheap stuff. Has been in boxes for quite some time waiting to go into the motors (getting closer). I have no idea how much better these will be but not having to deal with points will be nice.

Several decades ago I installed a generic capacitor discharge ignition in an 850. Ran a lot better and rev-ed higher. Do people still use CD ignitions?

I have an A112 Marelli electronic ignition setup for my 1050cc, 903-based motor. Also another Marelli setup for my OHV 1608cc 1438-based motor. Both distributors are new and the coil modules are used. Not cheap stuff. Has been in boxes for quite some time waiting to go into the motors (getting closer). I have no idea how much better these will be but not having to deal with points will be nice.

Several decades ago I installed a generic capacitor discharge ignition in an 850. Ran a lot better and rev-ed higher. Do people still use CD ignitions?
Yes. MSD makes quite a few.

We have a MSD 6AL in our Supervee autocrosser. It's about 25? years old. I bought 2 of them when I had the 250GTE, but didn't use them on it.
The one in the Vee has been running since the late '90s in rain, heat and whatever. It's always stored outside in the car covered wih a tarp. The only problem we had was from low battery voltage. Doesn't like that.
The other one went in the 600 for both the 903 and the 1300/128. No problems there, big battery and better starters kept battery voltage up.
I looked at putting the 600 unit in the 850 but at the moment we are going with the Pertronix.

It's alive...
After 10 years of sitting we started it today.
New battery, Pertronix ignition, carb built from selected parts, new coil, new fuel pump, and a little wiring clean up.
Waiting on gear drive starter, possibly needs some charging system maintenance.
20190709_173230.jpg

very cool!!

Thanks.
I thought the engine was junk because it ran (when it ran) really rough. Wouldn't idle or rev.
We built a 21/23 I had in the junk carb bin, cleaned a bunch of parts and stuck it all together. We cleaned and rebuilt the entire fuel system.
Now, with the cobbled carb, Pertronix installed and the timing set by ear you can start it, it will sit there and idle smoothly.
Once it's warmed up you can start it just by turning the key. It acts like it's injected.
It's an amazing change from what we had and I'm really happy I don't have to go into the engine right away.

It's an amazing change from what we had and I'm really happy I don't have to go into the engine right away.
Great job! Mine is a '73 in the same color. Other projects have priority at the moment, but I hope to get ours running this Winter.

Back