'74 in Wyoming

tigeravg

True Classic
Not mine. Decided to take a pass based on my promise to not start another project while in the middle of a project, as well as having no spare shop space.
Having said that...

Guy named John in Sheridan, Wyoming has a rust free '74 he listed a couple days ago. I saw it and pounced. He runs a 911 resto business and has no need to put time into this car. He sent me several pics and is very knowledgable about scouting cars worth restoring. He was shocked at how rust free this car was. He was asking $1500, but tried to turn the engine over and discovered it was seized. He subsequently bought another X engine down in Denver while picking up another car, and is in the process of making this car a runner. based on what he has spent so far, I'm guessing he's gonna need more than $1500 at this point. The car is on a lift in the pics and shows no cancer, even in the rear trunk pockets. He said the'74 exhaust is in great shape. Front/rear valances and grill are in very nice shape.

He has all chrome pieces to include the optional ADCO bars. He has the blade bumpers. The car is a repaint, and he said the paint is filthy, but will likely clean up ok. For those of you looking for a straight, rust free '74 at a project price, this one will be a deal. I hope one of our members snatch it up. Oh, BTW, he picks up Porsche's all over the country and is willing to work out a transport deal if needed. He will also be happy to send you some more pics.

Seems like a guy who would make a square deal. His Email is: 2.2scollector@gmail.com and # is (307) 763-8327

Somebody please go get this...before I rationalize renting storage space for a "spring project".

IMG_7757.JPGIMG_7754.JPGIMG_7683.JPGIMG_7693.JPG

Looks to be in great shape. Would love to throw a K20 (considering seized motor) with auto transmission in something like this for my wife, with a nice purple paint job!

Edit: I just reached out for a quote. Asked my wife and she showed interest assuming the price was right and shipping wasn't too bad. We'll see what he responds.

Edit2: He offered shipping for $2.50/mi. That comes out to $4,500 to my house. Yikes.

Last edited:
If someone grabs this, I have a hot 1300 and overhauled transaxle to drop in. $4000 for both. Installation is an additional $1000.

Attachments

• DSCN1998.JPG
    DSCN1998.JPG
    283.4 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN1770.JPG
    DSCN1770.JPG
    425.6 KB · Views: 21
I was looking to ship a car across country this fall. Firstly, finding a carrier was a PITA. Secondly, the minimum was $2/mi. and waiting about a month for them to call me with a pickup date at their leisure.

Going to get this car would be an additional $1K for me with my own trailer. I am still considering it simply because it's a rust free '74 with all the correct bits. To do a nice restomod on such a complete car would be a pleasure.

He said the car will be running and listed for sale this week at an asking price of $5,000 or so. Potentially much higher if he paints it.

He said he didn't want to paint it. However he runs a business and with $15/hr. employees, can probably have this car together and polished up in no time. How much is a rust free '74 with a "rebuilt" engine and fresh paint worth these days..?
He's also no stranger to BAT and see's where these cars are going. Scuff and shoot back to the original ugly medium green paint, retro seat covers, and he's easily sitting on 12-15K these days on BAT, probably as much as 10k with one of us who needs a '74 (Ca.).

I say catch him before a paint job and with the replacement engine in and driving. Probably could be had for the 4K range. Not a bad place to start.

Go get her! You are closer than me (750mi each way). Transport actually factors in these days. Used to be it was a fun 2 day road-trip. Now dragging your trailer around is a $300 per day gas fiasco.
My tow rig gets about 10mpg on a good day. Currently takes about $100 per tank to fill. So picking it up and delivering would probably cost me at least $600 in fuel alone if I did it myself. That said, last year I did fly across the country to repo an RV and drove it back 2200 mi from Mass to AZ. Fuel was cheaper then. Speaking of which, anyone want an RV? :)

My tow rig gets about 10mpg on a good day. Currently takes about $100 per tank to fill. So picking it up and delivering would probably cost me at least $600 in fuel alone if I did it myself. That said, last year I did fly across the country to repo an RV and drove it back 2200 mi from Mass to AZ. Fuel was cheaper then. Speaking of which, anyone want an RV? :)
Towing, my old F150 gets about 11.5-12.0. I feel your pain. Wanna RV?…Very funny!

Looks to be in great shape. Would love to throw a K20 (considering seized motor) with auto transmission in something like this for my wife, with a nice purple paint job!

Edit: I just reached out for a quote. Asked my wife and she showed interest assuming the price was right and shipping wasn't too bad. We'll see what he responds.

Why does it need to be an automatic?

I have the 74 x1/9 discussed here on this thread. I may be making a trip out east to pick up a couple cars. I can offer very reasonable transport costs if your location isn’t too far out of my travel path.
I will be headed to the Boston area and could deviate some to make a delivery. The car would have to be paid for in advance.

My shop should have the car back on the road this week. Just waiting on some cables for the engine and rear deck lids.

I haven’t decided whether to put the car back to original green. The seats need to be redone or replaced. The body is in excellent rust free condition so a repaint won’t take too long.

Thanks for looking. Let me know if you have any interest.

Also have some sales literature and a NOS model available too.

Attachments

• 11E98E61-6F9A-4FBB-A514-4184A1A8237E.jpeg
    11E98E61-6F9A-4FBB-A514-4184A1A8237E.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 26
  • D49BFBD4-1F29-4AC9-A8A1-EA85FEDB7752.jpeg
    D49BFBD4-1F29-4AC9-A8A1-EA85FEDB7752.jpeg
    258.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 7CF2A44A-AE60-4235-8B0E-144D4EC3B8F9.jpeg
    7CF2A44A-AE60-4235-8B0E-144D4EC3B8F9.jpeg
    353.5 KB · Views: 26
  • BAB84F23-F97F-491B-BEEA-4E558D127638.jpeg
    BAB84F23-F97F-491B-BEEA-4E558D127638.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 27
Car is now running but we need to replace a rear brake caliper and the rear lid cables.
Since it has been brought back to life I think it is worth repainting to original bright green.

Back