74 X Road Race Car project

TDeReggi

Daily Driver
So I picked this baby up about a month ago. Thought I'd share. This will be the foundation for my new race car project. All the credit for work completed to date goes to the previous owners. And I must say they did a great job, much better than I'd have the patience to do. I originally had planned to start from scratch with a stock 79 shell, but then I found this, which will save me a ton of time, and expodite getting a car on the track. Yes I plan to road race the car, most likely with SCCA MARRs. The three big atrractions for me were....

1) A solid well fitted cage - only issue is I'll probably need to add a 2nd driver door bar to meet current scca rules. I specifically like how the cage exends underneith cockpit floor and reinforced, and connected directly to seat. But most importantly its got enough headroom for my 5'11" self. (A cage already done was important to me, because my welding skills arent yet good enough to do cage level welding myself, and hard to find available welders around here.)

2) Suspension relocation to PBS Project X spec - Ive read much on this forum suggesting there are better ways to modify a suspension than the ancient PBS way. I dont dissagree. However, the PBS way is a tried and true way (with instructions :) to address the problems associated with lowering, and to accomplish an acceptable level of improvement. Im still somewhat of a rookie driver, so improving my driving skill will make far more difference than the minor differences of having the absolute "best" suspension design. For me, the good enough suspension, will be good enough for me. Im thrilled to have these PBS suspension mods on my car, and that they were completed so well, by the previous owner that put a lot of time and heart into it.

3) Spare 2nd Body panel set & paint job with standard Tractor Supply paint - If I ever wreck the car, repairs will be much easier to complete and paint easy to match.

The car was stripped down for body mods, so no engine parts are installed in car. Although it came with plenty of spare engines, trans, parts, etc, mostly of 1300 type, but some 1500, if I want to use them for the rebuild and spares.

What I'll still need to do to finish the car is to select, purchase or re-build and install....
1) a fuel cell and fuel sytem
2) an ignition system
3) an engine and trans
4) coil over shocks
5) Possibly wider / larger wheels (depending on class)
6) Pick the race class, that I will need my build to comply with.

Engines:
It came with a engine ready to install which is a stock 1500 block w/ 1300 PBS head, If I decide to use it initially.
I also have the prior 1300 racing block built to 11:1 Compression ( I believe) in good working order.
Or maybe I'll do a Turbo build or a Custom race build with one of my 1500 blocks, or a 1.6-1.9 Engine build.
I need to decide.

Regarding Class - G prod no longer exists. The previous owner had thought H production, which the X can be competitive in with a high compression engine, thus the 6" wide wheels on the car. But, I dont beleive H prod is viable because suspension relocation mods arent allowed.
Im pretty sure GTL and ITC have same limitation (no suspension relocation).
But I could build for F production , if I use one of the pre-exisiting 1300-1500 blocks.
The Trans is more likely to survive a F-prod compliant engine.
Thing is, Im thinking the X might be at a disadvantage in F Prod, compared to other car models allowed in the class with higher HP and displacement.
And the 2nd thing is, I hate rules that so unnecessarily limit the X. For example, SCCA F Prod only allows Single Carb, not Dual carbs.
Although A single 36-40dcnf will deliver more than enough fuel, Im a believer in one barrel per cylinder for better even flow for high RPM race cars.
Fprod limits to 13x7 wheels. That might be fine competitively, but a wider wheel (maybe a 8.5") would fill that rear body kit fender much better, and would look more bad ass.
Thinking maybe GT3 would be a good idea , and give me more flexability on Prep to build the car up. (such as higher displacement upto 1800CC or Turbo possibly)
Or could just do SPU regional class (or SPO if turbo'ed), and forget about competitive issues, have fun, and be able to do what ever I want with the car.
Although SPO might be to dangerous, because thats a big bore unlimited prep group.
Decissions Decissions. Got to re-read rules. And see how many cars were in the classes last season.

Attachments

• IMG_9607.jpeg
    IMG_9607.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_9563.jpeg
    IMG_9563.jpeg
    271.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_9560.jpeg
    IMG_9560.jpeg
    323 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_9548.jpeg
    IMG_9548.jpeg
    310.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_9573.jpeg
    IMG_9573.jpeg
    304.3 KB · Views: 113
Great fnd. Like you said, well done and lot of job saved. If you insist on the PBS suspension modifications, is this because some parts are already done? If not, I would start with H-prod and build from there the next year if you want to do more. Sure the 6" wheels will look lost in the wheelwell, but could you use spacers?

Also, maybe you could keep the cage as is because sometimes, there are some "acquired rights" rules (sorry for my poor english!) for car already built.

Have fun with it!

The PBS suspension relocation work has already been completed by the previous owner. So no going back. For regional local club racing, its very possible that the tech inspectors wont notice, or know the difference between what stock and relocated suspension looks like on a fiat, or might not care, if not winning races and not being protested by someone. Generally the club goal is to give people the opportunity to race their vintage cars. I also could ask for an exception, and justify that the mod wouldnt be giving me an unfair advantage (based on my situation). But I'd rather just build to the rules. I can still mostly follow your advice, by racing F-Prod, which allows me to race with parts I currently have, and increase chances I'll get car operational before next season.

For the record.... The previous owner, who did the PBS mods, had the car about 10 years, but never got the car back on the track. (Had some life changes, thus reason car sat, and decided to sell). The owner before that was the one racing it for numerous years in G-Prod.

I havent investigated possible spacers yet, but I intend to. Panasports are my favorate style wheel, and would look great, if I can get them further out an inch or two.

Regarding cage, unless Im racing under "vintage" rules, Im pretty sure SCCA wants to see cages updated, unless owner can show car has a log book with passed tech inspection before a specific date. For one of my Vette cages, the prior logbooks went back only 1yr after the cuttoff date, so I have to have cage updated to current specs. I actually, still havent did that yet. Been racing a different Vette, so wasnt priority. However, for the Fiat, I got the log books back to 1989, so maybe it will be grandfathered. I'll verify with SCCA.

Now that I have a few minutes:

The PBS suspension pickup point mod is one I have written about elsewhere on this board. There are two primary issues: 1) it reduces the anti-dive geometry and thus reduces braking effectiveness. 2) If you are going to use modern radial tires, the roll center ends up too high.

You should be able to have an SCCA tech inspector take a look at the cage and log book to determine if its legal. Many of the "grandfathered" cages have had their allowances run out. I was trying to see more of the cage in the photos but can't determine what the main hoop looks like. I think that might be your biggest problem.

I think GTL would be a good starting point. GT3 would be an interesting option. Lots of 1.8 engine options to consider there but that's not a class you would want to start in. There are some VERY good cars there. A good friend of mine won GT3 a few years ago. I assisted some with his program and know that's a pretty deep pool to swim in.

I would recommend starting with GTL and going from there. Nothing you would do to the car for GTL would not carry over to GT3 or SPU/O.

Back