750 Abarth Record Monza on BaT

gene cooley

Autocrosser
Sorry I have forgotten how to post a link, but there is a 1959 750 Record Monza Bialbero on BaT that is really worth a look. It's sitting at 130K with 6 days to go.
Some expect it it hit 200K.

Sorry, not impressed with his color choices.
May or may not have been the original color. A friend of mine did his Simca 1300 in the same color. It does look some lighter than your car.
Lots of work in it though.

Sure does look nice from here. Someone has clearly paid attention to detail. Not impressed with the upholstery tho.

I had an RM in the early 90s that I imported from Florida. While the body was in fairly good condition and had all the correct parts except engine (which I think would have been a bialbero) , the floor pan was terribly rotted away. I did have a good salvaged floor pan but at the time, I decided I didn't have the time and $$ to do that degree of restoration and sold it for something like $5K. I've wondered ever since what happened to if. Seeing that BAT listing makes think I should have kept it and eventually done the restoration. Sigh...

Will be interesting to see what the final price is!

Yes Gil I think we've all been there! I passed on a 1957 Porsche speedster for $275, also less motor, because it had a vague provenance.
The other side of the coin is there's a guy in central Oregon who's father bet on the Chevrolet Corvair. He inherited at least an acre yard full of them and maybe a 3,000 foot warehouse full of parts......

RARE CARS THAT SLIPPED THROUGH MY HANDS DEPARTMENT
In 1966-7, my middle school friends and I would walk up University Avenue in Palo Alto towards downtown to view the Friday 8pm movie at the Varsity Theater. On the north side of the street in a driveway, there was a small sportscar under a thick brown canvas cover. After talking about the mysterious car for weeks, one night, we unfastened the rope to see what was there. It was a faded red Porsche speedster, less engine, with black electrical tape home made numbers on the doors E/M. On the tail where the 1600 or 1600 Super emblem should be was no emblem, but unfaded paint showing Carrera. I wanted a car project. I went to the parts man at the local Porsche dealer and asked, "how much is an engine?" He said to get the right engine, I had to get the serial number from the front trunk. So, one night, late, when no lights were on at the house, we went back to get the serial #. Got it. About that time, I rang the doorbell and asked the owner of the car if he wanted to sell it. He said yes, $300, but it had no engine. I told my dad I wanted to buy this car with no engine. He told me I better find out what an engine cost. I went to the Porsche dealer and gave them the VIN and the parts man said come back in a week and he would try to find a (new) engine. I came back a few days later and he told me there were engines out there, but he was still trying to locate the RIGHT ENGINE (1600GS). A week later, I visited the dealer and he found a new 1600GS engine for $3500. It turns out, they only made 147 1600 Carrera Speedsters. I ended up buying a 59 Bugeye Sprite with my $300. 57 Carrera Speedsters with the RIGHT ENGINE are now going for $920,000.

RARE CARS THAT SLIPPED THROUGH MY HANDS DEPARTMENT
In 1966-7, my middle school friends and I would walk up University Avenue in Palo Alto towards downtown to view the Friday 8pm movie at the Varsity Theater. On the north side of the street in a driveway, there was a small sportscar under a thick brown canvas cover. After talking about the mysterious car for weeks, one night, we unfastened the rope to see what was there. It was a faded red Porsche speedster, less engine, with black electrical tape home made numbers on the doors E/M. On the tail where the 1600 or 1600 Super emblem should be was no emblem, but unfaded paint showing Carrera. I wanted a car project. I went to the parts man at the local Porsche dealer and asked, "how much is an engine?" He said to get the right engine, I had to get the serial number from the front trunk. So, one night, late, when no lights were on at the house, we went back to get the serial #. Got it. About that time, I rang the doorbell and asked the owner of the car if he wanted to sell it. He said yes, $300, but it had no engine. I told my dad I wanted to buy this car with no engine. He told me I better find out what an engine cost. I went to the Porsche dealer and gave them the VIN and the parts man said come back in a week and he would try to find a (new) engine. I came back a few days later and he told me there were engines out there, but he was still trying to locate the RIGHT ENGINE (1600GS). A week later, I visited the dealer and he found a new 1600GS engine for $3500. It turns out, they only made 147 1600 Carrera Speedsters. I ended up buying a 59 Bugeye Sprite with my $300. 57 Carrera Speedsters with the RIGHT ENGINE are now going for $920,000.
What a maroon! 😃

In the 1930s, my grandfather owned 162 acres on a local ski hill that had ski jumps, a bunch of cabins and even a shop for renting skis that was run by the Hudsons Bay Co. When war broke out in '39 he panicked and sold it for peanuts. Today it's Grouse Mountain Ski Resort and worth many millions of $$. If he had played his cards better, I could have been very wealthy today. Sigh...

Last edited:
Ones I missed.
Alfa 1900, engine replaced by a Nord 2000 but original with cracked head available.
Fiat Dino Spider.
Abarth Record Monza in pieces but all there.
Alfa Romeo Sprint Veloce again disassembled.
Ferrari 330 GTC

If I had gone out on a limb a bought all the cars I wanted instead of putting money in a 401k I’d be way ahead but then I’d have to sell, something I have a very hard time doing even with the cars I have now.

May or may not have been the original color. A friend of mine did his Simca 1300 in the same color. It does look some lighter than your car.
Lots of work in it though.
Would that Simca be the one I've seen at the Monterey Historics? Beautiful cars and the French blue looked excellent on it.

The question is whether his interior is correct or not. The car was built in the '50s, a lot was different then.
Ok, yes. I will give you that. If it's correct then there's not much more to say about that. Being correct is more important for sure and if it was done that way originally, then I'm all for it. Probably not a lot of color photographs to go by either. :)

Mine had tan cloth seats with red piping.
Unfortunately don't have the door panels.
Carpet on the front interior firewall is black. A little toned down from the blue and white.
Outside color was red.
Mine is a 750DB "Roosevelt Value Leader" aluminum Sestriere. It's very badly in need of restoration.

My issue is mostly that the blue used in the interior is a bit too saturated. Could have been better toned down just a tad.

Sold for $230k.

Last edited:
Interior color choices are the ones I have a problem with; pictures of other similar cars with the blue/white theme inside show less blinding white, more of a tan, and the blue clashes with the exterior blue, at the edges of the door panels for example.

Back