76 X Features

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]76 X Features<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]August 26 2001 at 3:50 PM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "3";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "f";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("George Wilcox"); // --> </SCRIPT>George Wilcox <NOSCRIPT> George Wilcox </NOSCRIPT> [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I have put a deposit on a 76 X and I don't know much about the early ones. Is a 76 desirable body wise, I am aware of 1300 cc engine and 4 speed? Supposed to be rust free but has cracked paint due to many coats for lacquer poorly done. Originally yellow and I will be seeing if the lime green was available to repaint it that. Your thoughts would be appreciated.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Tony Natoli"); // --> </SCRIPT>Tony Natoli <NOSCRIPT> Tony Natoli </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Well, the "bodies" are all essentially the same...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]August 27 2001, 11:30 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Its what the bolted on them!

The sheetmetal is virtually identical except that I u/s late model Bertones had a footwell two inches deeper.

The 76 - 78 models had the "ladder-style" bumpers which for most folks, appeared a bit awkward on the car.

They do look great reduced to a single bar though.

The dask board and seats changed in '79 and along with an upgrade of engine and tans in the US.

More and more of us are looking back at the very ugly limegreen "frog" of a '74 though and want one of the "originals".

Kinda soulds like what you wanna do... and a 76 isn't too far from that. Just need to cough up a few pennies for the 74 style bumpers...

If ya wanna do that... I think I know of two or three of the four you need.

Best Regards,

Tony Natoli, Two '79s, WHITE FANG and BLACK TOOTH
Santa Clarita, CA, http://americanx19.tripod.com/owner.htm<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "x";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "9";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "g"; document.write("Mac"); // --> </SCRIPT>Mac <NOSCRIPT> Mac </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->About X1/9 history and inspection...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]August 28 2001, 6:09 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hi George!

I want to mention before I forget that there are several very informative discussions on the topics surrounding 'prospective X1/9 inspection', 'care & feeding' etc located in the Discussion Archives. You can use the search link on the threads page to search by keywords "buying inspection need help RUST" would probably turn up a bunch
tongue.gif
Just thought you might want to peek in there as well...

Now, I am not the most experienced wrench of the bunch so I will refer to the archives and hope that one of our knowledgeable friends in here will cover those issues. As for the history question you raised, there are very minor changes to the chassis here and there through X production history, the biggest mechanical divide being the switch in NA from 1300 / 4 speed to 1500 / 5 speed (and the next year the intro of FI) but (as has been mentioned by Tony) the body panels and overall presence of the car never changed all that much. He nailed it, the differences were mostly in what (and how) things were attached.

If someone wants to add details, corrections or pick up and run with the 1500 history, go on ahead (!) - as for 1300s, here's the breakdown in a nutshell as best as I can tell it. This is by NO MEANS meant to be all-inclusive gang, just what comes to my mind:

1968-69 - Autobianchi 'Runabout' (X1/9 Prototype) born & shown. Pics all over the web nowadays. Check the 'Forum Index Page' and see the Runabout as the DevForum icon
happy.gif

1972 - FIRST year actual X1/9 production. Officially sold in Italy only. Lots of year-specific oddities & RARE. 1300cc 4 cylinder engine with 4 speed manual box. Package-shelf type dash and lower profile seats made for more interior space than the 1500s later on. (For you real useless trivia buffs, 1972 is also the year I was born - ironic?!)

1973 - Market officially expands to more countries (not North America yet, although I hear claims of "a few" late '73s getting mixed in with the first NA '74 shipments and making it in) ...

1974 - 1st official year of NA sales. Cars have euro-similar US quarter-bumperettes (4 rubber pads bracketed straight to the body) this year only. 1300 & 4 speed, carb, points, narrow tires
wink.gif
back glass with no defogger lines! Slotted rear body panel instead of exhaust grille. Euro spec exhaust (ie: best breathing 4-into-2 manifold, dual downpipes, muff pipe exits opposite side & no catalyst!) - The 1974 model is generally viewed by most enthusiasts in NA as the most desirable of all 1300 X1/9s, for a variety of reasons, although all 1300 Xs have a healthy following (even more so as time rolls on!)

1975 - (My fave personally) 1st year dual-rail full US spec bumpers WITH shock tubes, '75 only slim endcaps. Chassis strengthened crosswise in engine bay. Now says "Unleaded Fuel Only" on bay side vent near filler cap & on gas gauge. Slotted rear body panel changed to exhaust grille. 1st year less desirable 4-into-1 exhaust manifold, single downpipe & catalyst though. My smog pump mysteriously disappeared (well, it hadn't rotated in decades anyway!) 1300 / 4 speed.

1976 - 1st year big swoopy bumper end caps. They flair off the sides of the dual rails and are supposed to flow into the creased sideline of the body. Most folks didn't like it. Most don't like the dual rail bumper at all ("looks like the car's wearing a football helmet!") but I think they can be tweaked to look quite cool (lowered brackets helps a LOT) but it was the loss of '75 endcaps that really killed it for me. These bumpers would not change again until the 1500s came ashore in 1979. Still 1300 / 4 speed carbie.

1976-77-78 - (FYI: 1976 first official year of sales in UK). Some changes appeared in the 76-78 era of NA-spec cars that are not easily trackable. Cars came off the boat willy-nilly with varying types of instrument clusters, for example. Some the original crescent types, some now round & more traditional looking, some with the cluster panel colored silver. AFAIK, none had the backward spinning tach yet though. I also know of SOME X1/9s in this period that were somehow coming in "emissions exempt" which seems bizarre. I've never quite understood it or the loophole they must have employed. I have seen NA-spec Xs of '76, '77 and '78 years that were this way, no cat (even the EPA decal on the door jamb said "NON-CATALYST"), running on "Regular" (leaded) and apparently they were few, but being sold alongside the same year full NA-spec cars. Anyone know more on that??

1979 - The NA-spec 1300 X1/9 production run is done at the end of the '78 model year, as 1979 is the first year of the 1500 / 5 speed X1/9 for us. I'll leave that writeup for some friendly enthusiast on the forum to cover. My fingers are tired!
tongue.gif
Peace, -Mac.

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Brad[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Good write up, Mac!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]August 28 2001, 6:54 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Per my recollection along with the bumpers and rear treatment, the '75s were a little more refined than the '74s and used a higher quality vinyl on the interior. But the main difference was noticeably less power. 5HP ain't much, but the 66 in the '74, vs. 61 for the '75s thru the '78s made a noticeable difference. Certainly nothing that our talented friends who use this forum couldn't correct and then some! <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "8";n54_em = n54_em + "x";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Mike Mittelstead"); // --> </SCRIPT>Mike Mittelstead <NOSCRIPT> Mike Mittelstead </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Whadlittleeyeno...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]August 28 2001, 11:42 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Nice read Mac. On the subject of CAT or NO-CAT on the '75-78 Xs, that was the era of "Calif" and "49- state" cars. The smog tag on the bottom of the engine cover will state if the car is equipped to meet Federal 49 state requirements, or Calif requirements...no cat on the former and cat on the later. 49-state cars still had smog pumps, so they weren't emission exempt, just didn't need a cat to pass Federal smog standards.

The cat was only required in the sovereign nation of California, where the boys in Sacto like to make their own rules. It wasn't illegal to sell a Calif car in any state, but it was illegal to sell a 49-state car in Calif. My '76 was originally sold in LasVegas, and it is a cat car. Tho' I've had one each of '75 to '78 with no-cat, most Xs I've seen have been cat cars...might be a west coast thing. Do folks back east see more non-cat than cat cars, I wonder?

Cat cars were spec'ed to have 4.08 gears so cruising speed required fewer revs and less chance of overheating the cat. An overheated cat would trigger the Slow Down light. (BTW, factory A/C Xs would also get 4.08 gears in those years..all others spec'ed with 4.42 gears.)

Usually, the Calif cars were slower than 49-state cars, but there was one (Generous Motors) instance of the Calif car having a larger motor than the 49-state car, so enthusiasts were clamoring for the Calif car in that case.

PS to Mac: Lemmeno on the question I emailed you on. ThX!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back