'80 EFI X 1/9...how long until this engine goes *pop*??? Everyone commenting is GOLD!!!

Oh
I would be careful of using eBay as a meter. There are plenty of clams across the country :)

I am with you on getting the best body possible, as I am very comfortable with mechanical bits I am concerned less with that aspect.

Agreed many do have an outsized belief in the value of all cars right now.

In any case looking forward to reading more of your quest.
Believe you me, I'm psyched.

Now that I've actually gotten to drive an X, I understand that she's much, much more than just a pretty face.

Dynamic little sports cars.

It will look great next to my '72 MG Midget and Ducatis.

WP_20200821_002.jpg
IMG_20210620_180104.jpg
IMG_20210613_144824.jpg

My only response to this ad ("rust") for that price is: "Nice price or crack pipe?"

CRACK PIPE.

At least the green one in Canada is fit for the lawn of the Concorse Italiano...This is a 20 footer priced like something off the showroom floor.
Remember, it sold in January for $6500. And there have been two or three that nice since then go for about the same money. Hold tight, one will come your way :)

Last edited:
Oh
I would be careful of using eBay as a meter. There are plenty of clams across the country :)

I am with you on getting the best body possible, as I am very comfortable with mechanical bits I am concerned less with that aspect.

Agreed many do have an outsized belief in the value of all cars right now.

In any case looking forward to reading more of your quest.
Believe you me, I'm psyched.

Now that I've actually gotten to drive an X, I understand that she's much, much more than just a pretty face.

Dynamic little sports cars.

It will look great next to my '72 MG Midget and Ducatis.

View attachment 50046View attachment 50049View attachment 50050
Your poor Spriget will be greatly outclassed.

Shhhh... she'll hear you.

Still love that car.

Remember, it sold in January for $6500. And there have two or three that nice since then go for about the same money. Hold tight, one will come your way :)
Oh, I've got money burning a hole in my pocket for an X... I'm waiting for just the right car. Something I can really work with.

My time will come.

I think your budget is reasonable, $10K should get you a good car. Finding the right car will be difficult, there simply aren't that many - non rusty - ones left.
I've got a couple of project cars that came from dry climes (Texas & Arizona) that are very rust free and could be very nice cars given your budget and some work. At this time I'm probably not going to put the time into either one so I would consider selling them.
And, hey, it looks like we are neighbors, I'm on planet earth too! By don't you stop by and have look?

You saw this one, yes?

You saw this one, yes?

You saw this one, yes?

Sorry man, I have to have EFI.

I think your budget is reasonable, $10K should get you a good car. Finding the right car will be difficult, there simply aren't that many - non rusty - ones left.
I've got a couple of project cars that came from dry climes (Texas & Arizona) that are very rust free and could be very nice cars given your budget and some work. At this time I'm probably not going to put the time into either one so I would consider selling them.
And, hey, it looks like we are neighbors, I'm on planet earth too! By don't you stop by and have look?
I'm listening...

Welcome to the club ... these are deceptively charming and addictive cars.

Couple of notes:
  1. RE: "real FIAT" vs. Bertone: I agree the styling on the later Bertones could be a bit much; however, the early years were simpler and truer to the 'pure' FIAT years. One advantage I learned is that the Bertone X1/9s re-engineered the internal wheel wells to provide more space. Going from my 1980 'FIAT' X1/9 to the 1986 'Bertone' X1/9, the difference was subtle, but definitely noticeable (and welcome).
  2. Amen to everything everone else has said about buying the soundest car you can. Mechanicals are easy to fix; bodywork, not so much.
  3. I also encourage you to expand your search area. The '86 X1/9 I bought when I lived in SoCal was located in San Jose; however, I found it advertised on a Singapore X1/9 enthusiasts board. Go figure ...

Back