81 x/19 FI Gas tank Removal help

Greatlks

Low Mileage
I'm removing the gas tank on an 81 x/19. I have removed both fuel lines, filler tube and will be removing the two straps. But before I remove the straps I know there has to be a connection for the sending unit that will have to be disconnected before dropping the tank out. Where is it located and how do I gain access to it? Is there anything else I should know? Thank you , new owner of 81 x/19 that had been in storage for 16 years.

connections on top behind drivers head...

in engine compartment, near where the engine lid hinges. Gonna have to lift the rear of the car up real high - be careful use lots of support. Tank slides out and back

found it

Thanks a lot, I found with your help. Now just have to figure out how I'm going to get it high enough so I drop down the tank..

Thanks a lot, I found with your help. Now just have to figure out how I'm going to get it high enough so I drop down the tank..

I had to do this last summer and it was a project. I ended up using cinder blocks and a set of stands. I was scared poopless the whole time and don't think I recommend it.

Good luck...!

Need about 20" between bottom of tank and ground. Be careful I almost had mine fall over! Engine hoist the whole rear, park it over a hole, drag it to a lift be careful.
I also tried floor jacks on top of wood. Don,t do that!

Big Jack stands

and a large support box for my jack did the trick for me.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Interestingly, three of the jack stands took all of the weight, one just rested lightly touching the jacking point. I could shake the car and it would stay very stable though. (I always give it a test shake, getting crushed is not my idea of fun.)

Paul Davock

Update on tank removal

Just an update on tank removal. The tank dropped out easy once I had the clearance. The Tank went in just as easy. I used the POR 15 to clean my tank and it came out great. That stuff really work good and would recommend it to anyone cleaning out there tanks. It took me 7 hours start to finnish plus 4 days (96hrs) for curing time. It's a little messy and if you use it make sure you wear gloves and use a drop cloth. Follow the directions as there are no short cuts. Once you start it's best to finnish, you cannot start one day and wait until the nest day to do another step. So allow yourself enough time to complete this all at once. Thanks again for everyone who replied to my first post on here.

Way to go! Exactly my experience too. POR15 seal is great stuff. Don't get any on the studs that hold the sender, those little dudes will shear right off (lost one).

I did it on my '87 Bertone once. I did it in a dirt area on the property, jacked it up as high as I could and then dug a hole underneath the tank area in order to lower it down. Unorthodox, but safer than 2 foot tall jack stands! LOL

Back