850 engine swap

X19black

Low Mileage
this winter i am placing a rebuild 1500 engine in my x1/9, so i am having a spare 1300cc sohc engine now. Now i was thinking , can i make it fit in my 850 abarth??
has anyone done this before . the engine is a bit longer than the original engine but that willl fit . maybe have to relocate the fueltank for it. the main problem is the gearbox. the 850 engine rotates ccw. anyone can help me wich gearbox wil fit the 1300 engine

my abarth
720.jpg

720.jpg

720.jpg

You can reverse rotate the engine or change the gearbox to VW type unit.
I've seen a Fiat SOHC in a Lombardi Grand Prix so it is possible.
Very nice car by the way.

Indeed, a very nice car. Not sure I would undertake a swap into this car.

600 transmission since they rotate the right way?

Not quite the same size but it should work. Hope your 1300 isn't too warmed over as I suspect you may run into the mechanical limits of the transmission.

Sounds like an interesting swap

PBS used to make a bellhousing adapter for installing a 128 motor in an 850 or 600. Not sure about engine rotation. A bellhousing for a 124 OHV or twin cam engine was also available (like in a 1300/124) - I used to have a PBS one. A 124 engine in an 850 engine requires reversing the rotation. I've seen a 124 twin cam 2 liter in a 600 and the owner used to run it in autocrosses. The 850 transaxle would have no problem with the HP of a modified 1300cc engine. I think you can make up an adapter plate to go between the 850 transaxle and 128 motor.

I see that your Abarth has the parallelogram wipers. Would you by any chance know where to get the wiper arms (they have female threads in the end). I have the horizontal piece but not the arms.

Well if I use the 850 tranny with whatever engine , I have to change rotation of that engine. I read on some forums that you can put the bellhousing on upside down , and so use the whole tranny upside down , is that possible?

The paralel wiper arms are unavailable here in the Netherlands so I made them myself , so I don't know where you can buy them
720.jpg

I have to change rotation of that engine. I read on some forums that you can put the bellhousing on upside down , and so use the whole tranny upside down , is that possible?

Yes, if you rotate that transaxle 180°(around the input shaft axis), your are swapping the left and right half shaft flanges, and reversing the rotation. If it fits physically is a different story. I don't know.

The 600 transaxle allows for a CW rotating engine versus the 850 transaxle which requires a CCW engine.

The 600 transaxle dealt with all manner of Abarth levels of power

I'm actually considering a similar fitment some time in the future for my 850 coupe. I have sentimental attachment to the 1300 that came from my first Fiat.

Here's a walk around video of a 600 series car with a 1300 engine.

Back