850 in Hemmings

RicB

True Classic
Sorry if already posted but just ran across this. Pretty color combo but so much about this car seems non-original even thought the seller says the car has many original options. Is this color combo factory correct? Were wire wheels really an option? Are those just Amco bumper overriders? Wonder how much they are asking?

Sorry if already posted but just ran across this. Pretty color combo but so much about this car seems non-original even thought the seller says the car has many original options. Is this color combo factory correct? Were wire wheels really an option? Are those just Amco bumper overriders? Wonder how much they are asking?

Without seeing the Hemmings article & photos (maybe give us a link to go to?), or knowing the year of the car, we can't really comment. Though I can tell you that wire wheels were not a "factory" option, but they were available through some enterprising Fiat dealers at the time. The 850-based Siata Spring 850 came with Borrani wire wheels (same 4x98 bolt pattern), & Dunlop had similar 13" wire wheels available for Fiat cars. There were also faux wire wheel hubcaps available (really ugly!), usually for the 124 Spider.

Oh...

If I'm not mistaken, this car belongs (or used to belong) to Bill Longyard, a Yahoo! 850 Forum member. I could swear it was sold (or listed for sale on eBay?) a while back. Here's an older photo of this same car:

Yeah...

The overrider bars are aftermarket AMCO items. The wire wheels & thin-whitewall tires look terrible on this car (IMO). The two-tone door panels are "custom", as is the RED dash & armrests. The car looks nice at first glance, but as I look at it closer I find issues that would bother me as a buyer at that price-point. The car could be very nice with a bit more TLC & attention to detail, fix the shortcuts that were taken & maybe tone-down the gaudiness a bit. :italia:

What's up with that drivers-side seat though? :confuse2:

15427754-700-0.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, this car belongs (or used to belong) to Bill Longyard, a Yahoo! 850 Forum member. I could swear it was sold (or listed for sale on eBay?) a while back. Here's an older photo of this same car:

Jeff you are correct. Same car. If I remember correctly it sold for $7800 about a year ago. Seemed really nice...Phil

Looks nice but

Truly hate the Amco overrider, tires look too narrow, though I do like the wire wheels.

Looks like driver seatback stop is broken? the seats don't line up height-wise.

I thought that both the red console and door panels were an option, but never saw the inside horizontal sections of the console in red before, have only seen the vertical sides in color. I also don't recall the dash ever being offered in red.

Other than these minor quibble, it looks like a nice car and price seems close to value, maybe a little high. I'd only go 5K on this one if I were to bid.

Back