850 Spider/Coupe Queston

waynewlw

Daily Driver
I am back working on my 73' with a welded on 'Racer' top', X19 wheel flares and X19 front grill/spoiler.

Trying to put together the front suspension from the pile of pieces I have. I came across a left and right front spindle that has bearing shafts that is about 1/4" longer than the others I have. This means that the bearings in the bearing housing won't seat because the outer bearing flat is out 1/4".

What I am thinking: These spindles are for the 850 coupe. The coupe is a little more heavier and needs more stability.

The upright portion bolts right up to the 850 Spider spring and upper a-arm, and the shock fits good.

Any ideas of what I have?

Thanks
Wayne

What's what...

Trying to put together the front suspension from the pile of pieces I have. I came across a left and right front spindle that has bearing shafts that is about 1/4" longer than the others I have. This means that the bearings in the bearing housing won't seat because the outer bearing flat is out 1/4".

Any ideas of what I have?

It sounds like you have a mix of "early" & "late" type 850 front kingpin/spindle assemblies. The early 1966-68.5 type have the longer spindle shaft (about 3-7/8" if I remember?), the later 1968.5-73 type have the shorter spindle shaft (about 3.5"). Each type uses a specific bearing hub, & the 2 types are not interchangeable (as you've found).

The late type are preferred, as they use the same rotor common to the 124, 128, X1/9, etc., & you can also use 124 & X1/9 rear brake pads if needed (the 850 pads share the same thin profile). On this setup, the lugbolt holes in the hub are threaded & the rotor mounts onto the face of the hub (like most other Fiats), making for simple brake servicing when needed.

The early type use a different rotor, caliper & pads; these rotors & the caliper rebuild kits are less common & can get pricey, the pads are usually inexpensive because they are plentiful & nobody buys them. This setup is less preferable because it has the rotor mounted on the back of the hub, with the lugbolt holes in the hub being drilled (not threaded) & the lugbolt holes in the rotor being threaded. This "backwards" design makes servicing the brakes a PITA because you have to pull the hub off of the spindle in order to change the rotor (meaning you have to unstake the spindle/hub center nut, remove the hub & then replace with a new nut when reassembling things).

What I am thinking: These spindles are for the 850 coupe. The coupe is a little more heavier and needs more stability.

The 850 Spider & Coupe models share the exact same suspension parts, whether it's early Spider-->early Coupe or late Spider/Racer-->late Coupe/Sport Coupe (though the leaf spring ratings are different between the models).

The 850 Sedans all had a similar-design spindle/upright assembly, but had drum brakes instead of disc brakes. Many 850 Sedan owners (including myself) have "upgraded" their front brakes using the late disc brake setup; Fiat also did this on the 850 Special Sedan, but very few were sold in the USA. :geek:

Thanks for the info. I do remember breaking down a set of those backward disc assemblies. The design looked to be so bad that I tossed parts, probably kept the spindle assembly thinking I could use them.

I will be taking pictures in the spring when I finish the paint job and get all the stuff installed. The paint colour is Mustang Grabber Blue, and the 850 kind-a looks like a Mustang with the Racer top, etc. I used the standard 850 side windows and added a panel behind the window glass which serves as an air scoop to direct air to the engine compartment.

Wayne

Back