850 SPIDER RESTORATION - JEWELED ALLOY DASH

Frank L. Di Gioia

True Classic
Some day I'll figure out how to look really professional and post pictures within the dialog like everyone else. Till then I'll stick with posting what I have to say and then posting the pictures next. My '67 Spider project sat in the desert 12 years semi-protected. It was an SCCA H-production from 1968 on so it has few miles BUT a rough life. Seems to have gone off roading more than a few times. My goal is to restore it to be representative of the time and genre. The first pic is more or less how it arrived. Second shows the top of the dash trimmed away to for easy rear access to the coming gauges. The paper is a mock-up for fit. It will be a one piece alloy panel with a machined or "jeweled" finish. The third pic is the alloy panel (.90" unknown soft alloy) being "jeweled" with a 1" diameter sanding disc using light pressure. Not shown are guides to alloy parallel (more or less) runs. Fourth shows it mounted after cutting out. I used a jig saw with a thin blade for all gauges. Last shows it mounted with gauges. The dash cover will slightly shade/overhang it and will be easily removed. The alloy edge will have black door guard plastic trim to give a "pinstripe" effect and finish. I'm shooting to give the appearance of being older than it actually is- say 1940's or so. Alloy bomber seats next.
DSCI0960.JPG
DSCI0984.JPG
DSCI0985.JPG
DSCI0997.JPG
DSCI1041.JPG

Dash looks great Frank. I really like the "engine turned"/"jeweled" look. Unfortunately I don't have the patience to try something like that...I'm too ADD/HAD. Then of course my OCD would also kick in, and I'd be trying to place EVERY circle EXACTLY in the PERFECT position. I'd likely scrap about $500 of sheet alum trying to get it right. But luckily my focus would be diverted to another project long before that, so this would sit in a corner for a couple years until I felt like trying again. :D
Nice work.

Back