850 Spider restoration plans and 1st post

850spidermel

Low Mileage
Hello everyone,

I just signed up here. I know this is a X 1/9 forum, but I see it's really welcoming to 850s and other Fiats too. Below is my stylized rendering of what I'm aiming to do with my 850 Spider. It's been taken down to bare metal and drying from its first coat of primer as I type. I'll share a few of those photos in a separate form.

So my plan is pretty simple and only involves a color change. The original color is red and I already own two other cars on the red spectrum, a Hennarot (blood orange) 1983 BMW 633csi and red 1991 Mazda Miata. Initially, I was going to go with the azzurro (light blue) that was made available for the 850 Spider, but I found another color I'm really interested in that was made available for the 850 Coupe and 1200. I'm trying to identify this color and your help doing so would be great. I suspect it's Periwinkle (Pervinca). See attached photo by fiat_fan_club on Instagram. I'm trying to stay somewhat true to period and I feel like the light blue the Spider was produced in is a little to bright, personally. Not hating on that color at all because I think it's great and might even change my mind.

As far as the wheels go, my friend gifted me genuine Cromodora CD50s from an Alfetta he owned years ago. Unfortunately he only gave me three and I need to hunt down another. I really want to honor his gift so if you know of set please let me know. These wheels are symbolic because he's the one who got me into small Italian sports cars and led me to buy this for cheap.

Attachments

• FIAT850.jpg
    FIAT850.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 133
  • fiat850coupe.jpg
    fiat850coupe.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 117
Reminds me of my 850. Of course mine’s definitely a brighter shade.

067E386F-6761-4EF6-9051-D68F0A2575D7.jpeg

Last edited:
Mark, that’s beautiful and I was inspired to go blue because of it. Nice to have found the owner. Would you happen to know paint name/code? Like I was saying above, this color is still on the table.

It’s Coastal Blue single stage urethane by Kirker. I still have an almost full gallon. Actually, 3/4 gallon. That’s how it’s sold and mixed 3:1
BB0BAC21-3B90-41C7-B787-37191EE5820B.jpeg

Welcome to Xweb 850spidermel! Identifying colors in picture sis hard, but hopefully someone will have a car in the original color and be able to read the stamped color code on the car. Going by these examples, I think you might be right.. periwinkle.

Initially, I was going to go with the azzurro (light blue) that was made available for the 850 Spider, but I found another color I'm really interested in that was made available for the 850 Coupe and 1200. I'm trying to identify this color and your help doing so would be great. I suspect it's Periwinkle (Pervinca).

The blue you're describing is likely Azzurro Pervinca (Periwinkle Blue), factory Fiat paint code #413.

Thanks everyone for your input and help ID’ing the color. To be honest I don’t know exactly what colors came standard to which models. I’ve just seen the 1200 and 850 Coupe in lighter blues than the Spider. Although pictures can be deceptive.

Back