850 Spider School of Hard Knocks Lessons Learned for Other Owners

Where is the send and return coming from and going to? With the angle of the filter how do you prefill/prime it? Have you replaced the flinger filter with a pulley from a 128 or similar? Very tidy looking set up but I've so many questions!! 😂
Move the pressure regulator to the inside of the oil pan;

0FF82F13-E27F-4EE3-94CA-15322CA2062A.jpeg

and I made a custom splitter where the oil pressure sender/light is;

DA296F19-8754-4E28-9C83-46609DEC7E08.jpeg

yeah, that wire has been changed, it’s gnarly in that pic.

The filter has a check valve internally. The main crank pulley is stock. When you do this mod you need to plug the hole at the end of the crank so no oil enters the centrifugal filter.

Where is the send and return coming from and going to? With the angle of the filter how do you prefill/prime it? Have you replaced the flinger filter with a pulley from a 128 or similar? Very tidy looking set up but I've so many questions!! 😂
It's called "reverse flow oiling system" and involves the elimination of the sling filter entirely and routing the oil OUT the former over pressure unit and back into the main oil gallery. Motor needs to be apart to do this alteration even though possible in the car. Consult FAZA race prep by Al Cosentino or "Fiat and Abarth Tricks" by Greg Schmidt. If space allows mounting the filter so as not to spill oil on changing is preferred. It also allows the use of an oil cooler.

Frank, Is this whole proceedure necessary if you just want to mount a remote oil filter?
Yes. The BEST way would be to use an Autobianchi A112 motor which comes with a spin on filter factory. Rare here and those who have these blocks (Jeff X) are reluctant to part with them.

Actually, I picked up a complete A112 engine in Holland in 04, brought it back in my checked luggage. Thats for later.
That said, I have a complete 843 with high compression pistons and ported head that is pretty close to drop in but there is a fitting screwed into where the oil pressure sensor goes. Motor still has oil slinger pulley attached. Does it look like there might have been a remote oil filter? This engine came out of a custom sports racer chassis.
20210830_111719.jpg

Actually, I picked up a complete A112 engine in Holland in 04, brought it back in my checked luggage. Thats for later.
That said, I have a complete 843 with high compression pistons and ported head that is pretty close to drop in but there is a fitting screwed into where the oil pressure sensor goes. Motor still has oil slinger pulley attached. Does it look like there might have been a remote oil filter? This engine came out of a custom sports racer chassis.
View attachment 51425
What does the oil pressure relief valve look like at the other end of the block? It is also an AN fitting?

I have a complete 843 with high compression pistons and ported head that is pretty close to drop in but there is a fitting screwed into where the oil pressure sensor goes. Motor still has oil slinger pulley attached. Does it look like there might have been a remote oil filter? This engine came out of a custom sports racer chassis.

If the engine block still has the stock 850 oil pressure relief valve fitted in place, then the port/fitting shown was most likely used as an oil feed for a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

If there is a similar fitting where the stock 850 oil pressure relief valve is normally located, then the port/fitting shown in your photo is for the oil return line (from a remote oil filter &/or cooler) back into the block.

Thanks Super, Frank, Jeff. Don't mean to hijack but here is my last question on the remote oil filter.
The block below is an 843 bored out and fitted an "stroker" crank, Displacement was stated to be 1040cc. I have 3 good pistons. Was high compression with a copper head gasket. Do these fittings indicate the reverse oiling mod?
20210830_202136.jpg
20210830_202129.jpg

The block below is an 843 bored out and fitted an "stroker" crank, Displacement was stated to be 1040cc.

You can figure out your exact engine displacement using this formula:

πr²h ÷ 250

π = pi = 3.14159265359
r = piston radius
h = crankshaft stroke

So if you have 67.2mm pistons & a 74mm stroker crank, you'd get:

(π x 33.6² x 74) ÷ 250 =
(3.14159265359 x 1128.96 x 74) ÷ 250 =
262458.2007225755 ÷ 250 =
1049.83cc

67.0mm pistons & 74mm crank = 1043.59cc

66.8mm pistons & 74mm crank = 1037.37cc

And so on...

I guess I answered my own question. There is a plug or set screw in the pulley end of the crank.

There's also a plug on the flat area just to the right of where the oil pump mounts to the block; this hole used to be where the stock 850 oil pressure release valve would dump oil back into the oil pan. The top of the plug is visible in your first photo above.

Back