850 steering shaft flexible coupling

ramona300

True Classic
My seat is a fair bit lower than stock and I have lowered the steering shaft 25mm at the bottom of the dash. This puts a bit of strain on the flexible coupling. I'm contemplating lowering the shaft further, probably 50mm or so in total. Might be a good time to replace the flexible joint. The original is just reinforced rubber. Anything out there better for the job?

I've never bothered reading anything about rag joints before but it's strangely interesting. I think I will stick with the original concept. New rag joints are more expensive than U-joints!

I've never bothered reading anything about rag joints before but it's strangely interesting. I think I will stick with the original concept. New rag joints are more expensive than U-joints!
Do you have the early steering shaft which is basically a straight rod with no u joints in it?

In the US they recalled all the Coupes to provide a U-jointed unit so moving the steering wheel downward has little effect on the rubber/canvas coupler. The kit was to ensure drivers didn’t get speared by the shaft in an accident…

I bought one of these kits a few years ago for my Coupe which hadn’t been updated. You might find another kit for sale, there was one a year or so ago.

I will try to find some documentation. I have the instructions around here somewhere.

This is the original Coupe column which is a ‘spear’
2E1CED93-51B0-4856-97B6-2891F416AD18.jpeg

This is the flex joint which is distorting

6DC7B959-CFD5-45E9-AF47-3BAB25595BE3.jpeg

This is the 850 Spider column and the revised Sport Coupe column is similarly arranged (the kit came with a new ignition switch, housings, steering wheel etc). As I recall all Spider columns are this type.

F2D14E04-DD85-483D-A062-E95E8537AD17.jpeg

If an actual Sport Coupe replacement column can’t be sourced, an 850 Spider column could be a good alternative.

This is the original Coupe column which is a ‘spear’
View attachment 60811

This is the flex joint which is distorting

View attachment 60815

This is the 850 Spider column and the revised Sport Coupe column is similarly arranged (the kit came with a new ignition switch, housings, steering wheel etc). As I recall all Spider columns are this type.

View attachment 60814

If an actual Sport Coupe replacement column can’t be sourced, an 850 Spider column could be a good alternative.
Mine is similar to the original coupe but I think it's a lot thinner than the one in the photo and is more the normal rag type.

850 steering shaft coupling isn't a universal joint, so not designed to allow for much (if any) angular misalignment, it's more of a vibration / noise damper to stop it getting transmitted up the solid shaft to the wheel.

20200403_120208.jpg

I'd definitely be changing the solid shaft out anyway, if you hit something hard enough the column will spear you thru the chest.... adapt something from another Fiat like a 128 / 127 / 131 that you can find fairly easily and will possibly match the shaft splines for the steering wheel and steering box...
SteveC

Any options for de-spearing the 600D steering shaft? I’d also like to lower it a bit. Would an 850 spider steering shaft be close?
Thx

Any options for de-spearing the 600D steering shaft? I’d also like to lower it a bit. Would an 850 spider steering shaft be close?
Thx
Not to be a Debbie Downer but ay type of vehicular accident in one of these cars can easily be catastrophic. I've always approached driving the 850 like I am riding a motorcycle. Maintain hyper situational awareness, anticipate other drivers moves and give yourself enough time and space to maneuver around and out of any bad situations.

Thx
Yes or a 128 or 124 Spider if those are more prevalent in your area. Ebay often has these assemblies. There is a place down south British and Italian Imports that is always breaking 124s who would like have what you need.

Not to be a Debbie Downer but ay type of vehicular accident in one of these cars can easily be catastrophic. I've always approached driving the 850 like I am riding a motorcycle. Maintain hyper situational awareness, anticipate other drivers moves and give yourself enough time and space to maneuver around and out of any bad situations.

Agreed, getting rid of the ’spear’ would be a worthwhile change.

You can swap out the early-style 850 Coupe straight steering column/shaft assembly with the U-jointed assembly from a later model 850 Sport Coupe. Here in the USA, it would be a '69-on model, though some '68 Coupes may have received the upgrade at the factory per USA federal regulations. There were also the retrofit kits from Fiat that Karl noted.

The 850 Spider U-jointed column is different than the one on the 850 Sport Coupe.

Last edited:
You can swap out the early-style 850 Coupe straight steering column/shaft assembly with the U-jointed assembly from a later model 850 Sport Coupe. Here in the USA, it would be a '69-on model, though some '68 Coupes may have received the upgrade at the factory per USA federal regulations. There were also the retrofit kits from Fiat that Karl noted.

The 850 Spider U-jointed column is different than the one on the 850 Sport Coupe.
All true though my 1969 came with a spear and I have a recall kit.

A spider column is different but could be easily modified to suit.

I'm not worried about the spear problem as such, the full rollcage would take care of most accidents I'm likely to encounter on the track. If the car was driving on the street and there was a chance of a head-on or hitting a pole then that would be different.

Back