850 Windshield Rubber Seal

JVance

Low Mileage
I'm aware that a reproduction windshield rubber seal is available for the 850 spider. Unfortunately, I'm not keen on the aesthetics or aerodynamics of the stock profile; it stands quite tall, and I'd like something without the grooves for the chrome trim.
Has anybody replaced the stock windshield rubber seal with something having a lower profile (closer to 'flush')?

In theory you could just glue the glass in the same way the X1/9's are done.

It requires these inner and outer seals.

Inner:

Outer:

Thanks!
Does there need to be a specific amount of overlap between the windshield frame and glass for an adhesive-style installation to work?

It's a cheap enough option, I'll give it a shot (unless somebody has attempted this on the 850 and can suggest otherwise).

Thanks!
Does there need to be a specific amount of overlap between the windshield frame and glass for an adhesive-style installation to work?

It's a cheap enough option, I'll give it a shot (unless somebody has attempted this on the 850 and can suggest otherwise).

The gap between the frame and the glass should be about the same for both seal types, it might require a bit more adhesive but the outer weatherstripping has a decent lip on it to overlap the body.

An option worthy of your further assessment, JVance >> search for Trim-Lock one-piece locking gaskets
I'll look into that, too. I did receive the X1/9 gasket/trim from Bayless last week and may get around to removing the windshield this weekend...hopefully will have a good idea whether its a viable option or I should explore the fit of the Trim-Lock gaskets (I do appreciate their diagrams/dimensions of each gasket style).

The gap between the frame and the glass should be about the same for both seal types, it might require a bit more adhesive but the outer weatherstripping has a decent lip on it to overlap the body.

Almost.
Mocking up the windshield with a piece of the outer trim (Bayless goofed up the order...no big deal), I'd have to space the bottom of the windshield up about 1/8-3/16 to get even spacing all around for the lip to reach the body. But the more pressing issue is not having much material on the inner windshield frame to be confident in the adhesive bond. I haven't mocked up my spare windshield, but I doubt the dimensions differ.

I have a couple of options...I could weld an additional 1/4" of material along the inside of the window frame to provide a larger "flange" for the adhesive. I have some rust to repair in the lower corners of the frame anyway, so this would be trivial. The other option is I've been leaning heavily towards cutting a new windshield from lexan, which I would cut ~ 1/4" oversized from the template of the stock glass.

In either case, I'll make good use of the inner and outer trim/seal from Bayless.

Back