88 Yugo GV scare

Peugeot was still making carbureted cars until at least 1993, and Isuzu had some as late as 1996 just before the transition to OBD-II. Maza B series trucks were still sold with carburetors until 1993 (except the B2200i and B2600i). It wasn't that uncommon.

I don't want to delete the vacuum lines because this car has working air conditioning, deleting the vacuum lines it won't run right and I'd lose that factory option. I'd sooner put a different engine in.

Well if you plug / remove all the vacuum lines and it then runs properly, then you know what is wrong. Then you can sort out which line is causing the leak, then solve that problem. If the brake booster has failed that will cause a air leak, if you disconnect and block off the line and it runs then you have found the problem. Disconnect hose and plug the manifold port for that line, see what happens. Can also do the same for any other vacuum lines.

6 of the 8 vacuum lines are necessary for the car to run, as far as I am aware. The altitude compensator has 4 lines, the vacuum advance takes another, and the choke control takes the last one.

The problem is more likely related to ignition, it's sounding like there's a miss while it's running. The car has a new cap and rotor, I will be changing the coil and plugs, and I have ordered wires. I pulled the plug on cylinder #1 and it was pretty dark.

Changed the plugs and now the car will reliably run and idle on it's own. My #2 plug wire was broken at the plug end and my #3 wire was arcing to the condenser fan mount. I think my coil wire may also be bad.

Only had one spare and it fit the #2 wire, so the car is now running considerably better. I've ordered a new Beck and Arnley set off eBay.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Back