90's Honda Civic radiator for a 124 Special?

Hi Jim. Have you considered using a rad from a Lada Signet or Riva ? Both were basically copies of the Fiat 124 sedan, made in Russia. Gotta be close ?

And yes, I think some came with a automatic trans.

Maybe check out these guys - Lada Power. Some here have ordered from them, and seemed pleased.

http://www.ladapower.com/index.php?...uemart&view=category&virtuemart_category_id=0

They seem to list several new rads. No dimensions, but at least pics...

Good luck. Doug

Thanks Doug, I will check them out. I did look at their site for other parts a few months back, but not a rad.

Doug,

I took a quick look at LAdapower site and didn't see any with auto trans cooler connections. Pretty decent prices though. None of the rads they show looked identical to the original from my 124 and without dimensions on any of them I am pretty much right back to "I might as well follow thru with the Civic rad I already have in hand".... if it comes to that. I am kinda in limbo now until the radiator shop lets me know what they find.

Got the call from the shop. $325 to tear it apart, rod it out thoroughly (let's hope for that), rebuild the header tanks, then reassemble. More than I really wanted to spend, but less than the $400 I had expected. Amazon let me return the Civic rad with only a $5 charge, so at least I won't have another $70 added to the bottom line for the Civic rad experiment.

I sure hope this works. :)

I got the 124's radiator back this morning. The old guys at the shop were very impressed with the core on the radiator and kept telling me how well made it was. Of course, all this makes me wonder exactly how much work they put into it. They said it wasn't too clogged up and the core was structurally sound. They rodded it out and put a new neck on it then re-sealed the tanks. I guess that's what they did anyway. They gave it a gloss black paint job all over, so there is really not too much evidence of what was done.

It definitely has a new neck, because they zip tied the old neck to the side. He said it needs a 7PSI cap for a GM with this new neck. I had noticed the old neck was a little wobbly, so I am sure that was necessary. He said he had to replace instead of re-use because the old neck was missing about 1/4 of the lip that the cap locks too. I had never noticed that, but it was missing some metal for sure.

I will find out if this was money well spent when the weather warms up.

Excellent news. I truly hope this solves the problems you were having. Expensive but they aren't exactly making them anymore.

Back