Bat **** crazy girl totals X

carl

True Classic
IMG_0291[1].JPG

Daughter asked to take X to Target, I said OK but it's close to 100 degrees out so knock yourself out. Too bad when she got home she neglected to put the car in gear (Can't tell from the picture but we live at the top of a hill). After she came inside a neighbor said we needed to come out....yes it rolled down the hill and killed a street lamp. Car is pretty much totaled.
I'm just happy it didn't hit another car or run into a house. I now have a lot of spare parts for the 77X.

If you react rashly you can always plead temporary insanity to the judge. As Cosby used to say, "Insanity is hereditary---you get it from your kids."

So much for the autonomous X1/9 project.
Please take my comment in the spirit it was intended. As you infer, one of those "well at least no one was hurt", etc moments. As you say at least you have a lot of spare parts now and there is an added bonus. Your daughter will never ask to drive your car again and you will have years of "reminding" her about..."remember the time..."

Thats so sad. And another one bites the dust... Can we see some chassis shots? Perhaps it is still savable with some good TLC. Is it just the front? Totaled yes, but the insurance companies don't factor in personal value, they just care about actual value.

Sorry for yours and her experience. Have her help you with building the '77 and she may have an appreciation for the time and energy that goes into building a car that can so quickly be damaged by carelessness. She has some golden stars in my book just being interested in driving the X and able to operate a manual.

Well damn. Agreed carl, at least it is just your car and no one was hurt.

It's just too damn hot out to really crawl around to assess damage, clearly the center front portion is trashed....radiator seems fine since it's not leaking but when I drove it back to the house the steering wheel seemed cockeyed.
Yes, the good point is I get to hold it over her for ever....priceless.
Insurance not involved, I just have liability on it.
She is a true artist when it comes to making wedding cakes, I'll keep her away from helping me, the bakery and two sons keep her busy enough.
She always drove my spiders and the Miata but always said she didn't like X1/9s.
And to top it all off I was going to post before this how incredible the exhaust sounds as she pulled away and went through the gears shifting at around 6K. We never know how our cars sound until someone else does a driveby.

Seems fixable but until it is up on a lift hard to say.

Big time bummer.

I once left my X out of gear with the so called emergency brake on and it rolled away, it didn’t get far but it didn’t make a good impression on my neighbors as it was the first day in my new house. Didn’t do the side of my 124 any good either.

I always use a brick or some other impediment to motion with that car even now 18 years later.

...clearly the center front portion is trashed....radiator seems fine since it's not leaking but when I drove it back to the house the steering wheel seemed cockeyed.

Hmmm, if the steering wheel is now cockeyed then perhaps the front structure got tweaked, which isn't good. I guess the first step is to take it an alignment shop to see if everything is still square. If so, the rest is just sheet metal. If not then you'll probably be better off starting with another X and swapping out all the good stuff.

I'll drive it into the garage tomorrow, turn on the AC and check it out. When I drove it up the street to once again park it in front of the house I think the steering wheel was cocked. Also horrible dragging noise when backing it off the sidewall and recalled later the nice SS coolant pipes in an open box!

Todd If I decide it's savable, we will be talking. I wish someone near me had a decent shell with no interior or drivetrain to move all my stuff over....oops, that's what this car was.

I'll post an update tomorrow.

Save it for a winter project.... That X has too many cool parts to abandon... So what happens with the street lamp? Do you have to replace it?

Street lamp? What street lamp? Nothing to see here. I don’t see any dented red cars. Particularly not in the garage.

Back