A funny moment but a bit dark in these times

Yesterday was my first (part day) off in over two weeks. I have become part of a team making face masks, face shields and rigid screens to go from between patients, at registration and so on. The screens go into production tomorrow or Tuesday. The face shields are simple but we can make a lot of them versus the very nice ones being made by digital printing, ours are intended to be disposable so we are making thousands of them a day.

We have shared the designs with some of our competitors so they are making some of the same things.

I have been going to work early and home late but it has been great to work on something related to helping others. Our company is in Michigan so we are closed and most are working from home. Maybe 15 of us out of the 3000 here in GR have been a part of it and working in our buildings. I am one of those 15. More will start coming in tomorrow as we bring part of one of the factories back online to make the rigid screens.

All the best

Last edited:
Another group to thank, in real earnest, are the folks toiling over at GM (and Ford) who the President ran under the bus this week. They are doing the thing which will save the lives of those most at risk and the care givers who are going to get sick, the caregivers are getting this and when they get it they are often getting it really badly.

This is a post by someone on the team at GM:

Only a few hours ago, as I left our Global Tech Center before midnight for the second time this week, I turned on news radio to catch up on the outside world. The leading story was about GM's initiative to produce ventilators and how our President feels the company isn't working fast enough to so so. Aside from simply being harsh words against my employer, it really bothered me at a deeper level. You see, this past Sunday I received a work call that I probably will never forget. I was asked to be one of the Layout Engineer's for Project V. Yes, the same project our President was talking about. I was instructed to report to our Tech Center immediately. Upon arrival, I was quickly brought up to speed, job responsibilities were given out, and we started working and we continued doing so into the night and early hours of morning. Since Sunday, I have spent between 14 to 18 hours each day with these folks, working out every detail to produce a device completely unfamiliar to us. What we've accomplished in 5 days is incredible. So for those who have read the same tweets, don't believe them. I've seen our team do some amazing things this week. The level of motivation and drive I've witnessed is beyond anything I've ever encountered. I can't say enough about this team I'm so grateful to be a part of. We know what our end goal is and we have the right team to get us there! #IWORKFORGM
Give them your support, they need it. I have been working just like they have been but on less critical solutions.

It is great that people are willing to actually do something to help others. What I really dislike is those who are trying to capitalize on others during these times. A couple of examples are law firms advertising to help file lawsuits against various parties to make money relating to the pandemic, or ads to sell products claiming to help prevent getting sick although there is absolutely no basis for their (flase) claims, or using scare tactics to persuade buyers during difficult times, and many more obvious ploys just to profit from the situation. Lots of opportunistic predators out there trying to benefit from the unfortunate circumstance. Very sad. But I guess that sort of financial greed is what America was built on.

Back