Abarth manifold for twin DCNF for X1/9

andreav

True Classic
Do someone have more infos about this manifold, I bought complete intake in Germany, never seen manifold as this one before, will post photo later.

Here is it, carburetors are 36 size

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190321-194058_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190321-194058_eBay.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 187
I have never seen it either.
None of the US publications of the day (Faza, Bayless. Etc) show it. Also, none of the german ones I have seen (Hörmann,...) do.
I would love to see Abarth catalogs or price lists of the early 70s to see if they show things like this.
I believe an Abarth cam for our motor once showed up as well.

I like it. Does it fix an X or a 128?
I have check angle and appears that is around 20° what is for 128, but we are making tool for remake this Abarth manifold, will be available soon in both angles and as original with water ports inside.

I have never seen it either.
None of the US publications of the day (Faza, Bayless. Etc) show it. Also, none of the german ones I have seen (Hörmann,...) do.
I would love to see Abarth catalogs or price lists of the early 70s to see if they show things like this.
I believe an Abarth cam for our motor once showed up as well.
I also never seen, also on Google cant find any photo about this, because I ask here, maybe someone have more photos or/and infos.
It is lighter manifold compared to Alquati ones, at least on hand, didnt weight on scale, will do that also.
I think that Abarth cam for sohc exist, if I remember code was 214, dont know more info about that, in past from time to time it was possible to find in local adverts here, but usually overpriced.

I have a bunch of old FAZA sales literature from the late 60s and while they show many manifolds for dual DCNFs, none were listed as ABARTH. It seems everyone in Italy who could cast aluminum was making intake manifolds for Fiats. The only thing I could figure out is if a DCNF manifold had a vacuum port for power brakes then it was at least meant to be for a 128.

we are making tool for remake this Abarth manifold, will be available soon in both angles and as original with water ports inside
Very good.
Just my thoughts: For aftermarket "performance" intake manifolds, I've always thought it may be best to eliminate the water heating passages and make the manifold much cleaner/smaller/lighter. I have never known anyone with a twin-carb performance engine to want hot water around the intake system, and the water passages are always blocked off. So why not just eliminate all of that?

I have a bunch of old FAZA sales literature from the late 60s and while they show many manifolds for dual DCNFs, none were listed as ABARTH. It seems everyone in Italy who could cast aluminum was making intake manifolds for Fiats. The only thing I could figure out is if a DCNF manifold had a vacuum port for power brakes then it was at least meant to be for a 128.
Italy was very stong in 60s-80s in this aftermarket performance parts, who knows maybe is this manifold original Abarth ( I believe ) or someone made it and put Abarth lettering on it?
You have noticed well, angle is around 20° what mean it is for 128 engine, this one what I bought.

Very good.
Just my thoughts: For aftermarket "performance" intake manifolds, I've always thought it may be best to eliminate the water heating passages and make the manifold much cleaner/smaller/lighter. I have never known anyone with a twin-carb performance engine to want hot water around the intake system, and the water passages are always blocked off. So why not just eliminate all of that?
Yeah you are right about water passages, it was cca 20% difference in price of tool with or without passages and I decided to remade as original one, anyway I m pretty sure that this can be eliminated in casting proces that are casted without passages or better way just to close passages on cylinder headm what we do often.
I alway like to keep original looking in this type of work, to have reproducion of original parts like when they was made in past.

I alway like to keep original looking in this type of work, to have reproducion of original parts like when they was made in past.
I agree. I was just expressing my personal preferences for 'custom' parts. Nice work Andreav. ;)

Thank you, I always try to made best what I can :D
You are right but problem is with all this manifold or parts that all only replicate, no one today dont made any new part from 0, all is existing today on market... I see in old Faza catalogues that in past was availabe manifold for twin Weber IDA carbs, do someone see this in real?

I know that exist for twin IDF's but IDA are different type, bigger than IDF and more to motorsport.
I will try to take photo from Faza book.

IDF's but IDA
Yes, sorry I misread your post and thought you said IDF. IDA are much bigger. Don't think I've ever seen that on a Fiat. I also have some old FAZA catalogs but have not looked at them in a very long time.
Do you think IDA's might be too big for a 1.3/1.5 engine? Guess it also depends on the application; street or track.

I was rummaging through my old pile of FAZA stuff and found mention of the twin Abarth manifold by Al Cosentino.. He claims Ferrari had this manifold with dual 40 DCNFs on his personal 128.

Abarth.jpg

Regarding using IDAs on a Fiat SOHC, here is a photo of dual 48 IDAs on a 1116 cc 128.

Weber IDA.jpg

Now that I see that old picture (from the FAZA stuff), it kind of does bring back vague memories of IDA's on Fiat's.
Wow, caption says two 48 IDA's on a 1116cc engine. Hard to imagine that would work.

Now that I see that old picture (from the FAZA stuff), it kind of does bring back vague memories of IDA's on Fiat's.
Wow, caption says two 48 IDA's on a 1116cc engine. Hard to imagine that would work.
It didn't say what size chokes were in the IDAs but I would guess they are a whole lot smaller than 48 mm.

Good point Don. But I kind of remember from my old air-cooled VW days the IDA's only had fairly large chokes available, unlike the IDF's that could be necked down a lot. But that was a long time ago and either things may have changed, or I may not be remembering correctly. I never ran them, too big in my opinion, even for a built 2.0 race VW engine. But other guys did and seems like they had more problems than we did with IDF's. However that may have been a function of the tuner, not the carb.

Yes, sorry I misread your post and thought you said IDF. IDA are much bigger. Don't think I've ever seen that on a Fiat. I also have some old FAZA catalogs but have not looked at them in a very long time.
Do you think IDA's might be too big for a 1.3/1.5 engine? Guess it also depends on the application; street or track.
I also think that are more oriented for racing purposes but who knows today how this will work o_O

Did someone see this manifold in real life? I never find it.

Very good.

I don't think the water jacket was there to heat the intake manifold, it was there to cool the manifold or at least keep it below 200 degrees or so. The heat from the exhaust manifold would cause vapour locking when stopped or after coming off of a highway and idling in traffic.

TonyK.

Back