Abarth Swap Intercoolers

TonyK

True Classic
As discussed Bob Martin wanted to use the Fiat 500 Abarth air to air intercoolers.
Due to the rear or mid engine layout they needed to be put in the back of the car and draw air from the side scoops. I mounted fans on each intercooler and started boxing in the area around them. There is still more finishing and fitting required but that will happen on the road car. Figuring out the concept has been the time killer. On the plus side the fans will force air through the side scoops when at idle, which can only benefit the hot engine bay of the X.

Here are a few pictures of what I am building.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

IMG_0621.JPG
IMG_0623.JPG
IMG_0627.JPG
IMG_0629.JPG
IMG_0630.JPG

When you say shoehorn, that engine bay will be all engine and very little air...

Wow.

Well that is why fan forced seems to be the only way to go. This is what was requested so I am building it.

A few more pictures of the build at it's current state. The temperature sensor to turn on the fans is shown in the 2nd picture.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.
IMG_0648.JPG
IMG_0654.JPG
IMG_0655.JPG
IMG_0656.JPG
IMG_0660.JPG
IMG_0662.JPG

The control board and it's 20 Amp relay is what turns on the fans. The paper to the right shows the DIP Switch position on the control board to control when the relay picks up at what temperature. The probe on the end of the black wire is in a small Stainless Steel well in the plenum. If the air temperature is below the setting the fans will not run, above it and the fans will run that are on the intercoolers, engine running of course.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada

I presume that on the front end of the engine you expect relatively little movement of the engine for aft and up down due to the proximity of the engine mount and therefor can use relatively short rubber hoses to the ridgidly mounted intercoolers?

For those interested the controller shown above for the fans its this one:
http://www.smartclima.com/digital-thermostat-module-model-xh-w1701.htm

This company has a somewhat dizzying array of modules for controlling cooling and heating. Spend some time wandering around at their site.

Wow, re: image_0629.jpg, looks like the Abarth swap requires an even bigger chunk of chassis structure to be cut out than the K20 swap in that same area. Yikes! :(

IMG_0722.JPG
IMG_0723.JPG
The front section is as shown is cut and on the other side inside the spare tire compartment a section of new metal is installed and welded to pick up the structure. The side rails are not touched in this swap. 18 guage Stainless is used for any section that is welded to the body.
IMG_0722.JPG
IMG_0723.JPG

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada

Back