Abarth Swap making some parts.

Discussion in 'Nuova 500' started by TonyK, Nov 7, 2018.

  1. TonyK

    TonyK True Classic

    Location:
    Grimsby Ont Canada
    Yes, as stated above, I did not build a radius tool, but if I did the problem with interference would be an issue. The custom made tools and nibbling was the method, but it takes a long time by this method of marking high spots and working the two slides to keep the chatter to a minimum.

    What I have welded up will work very nicely and currently in Canada parcel mail is not moving because of a labour dispute between Canada Post and it's Union. Currently there are 400 shipping containers of parcels stalled in the system with no idea when this will be resolved. Canada Post has been telling international postal services to hold parcels coming to Canada. With the Christmas mail rush coming the problem will only get worst each day.

    TonyK.

    Grimsby Ontario Canada
     
  2. TonyK

    TonyK True Classic

    Location:
    Grimsby Ont Canada
    Continuing on...

    The turbo charger of the Abarth engine is on the fire wall side of the X1/9 and the spare tire area needs to be used. The K20 swap uses the same area, but installs a section or tube of square dimensions with a flat bolt on cover. It is simple and appears to work well for the swap. The Abarth 1.4 engine has a lot going on, on the fire wall side of the engine and reaching through a tube in my mind seemed to be a bit prohibitive. So a cover made from hammered sheet metal sections was made from cast hammer forms to produce the sections of sheet metal to make the cover in the spare tire well. With a full removable cover more access to the oil filter, oil cooler, turbo charger and oil and cooling lines for the turbo charger was established. That being said a seemly better idea turned into a lot of work and on the second attempt may in my mind be flawed. The time to produce the cover is, well a lot. Possibly a removable cover made from flat sections welded together would have been the faster method of producing this cover rather than making it from hammered sections of sheet metal welded together. None the less I have completed the cover. The cut outs in the test body, shown over sized, will be adjusted on the road car and be of the correct size of the cover rather than what was done on the test body as pictured.

    Follow some pictures of the process, there is a lot of time invested in a part like this. On the plus side of it, I do like the appearance and how it functions.

    TonyK.

    Grimsby Ontario Canada.
    IMG_0687.JPG IMG_0688.JPG IMG_0689.JPG IMG_0690.JPG IMG_0691.JPG IMG_0696.JPG IMG_0701.JPG IMG_0703.JPG IMG_0714.JPG IMG_0715.JPG
     
    lookforjoe, kmead and JimD like this.
  3. lookforjoe

    lookforjoe True Classic

    That's really impressive. Not missing this detail - ".... made from cast hammer forms"

    You're nuts. In a very, very good way. :D
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice