Abarth X1/9 cable shifter

TonyK

True Classic
A while ago Chris Obert emailed me and asked me if I had considered making a kit to do an Abarth Swap. I am not retired, so my time is limited. That being said I decided that I wanted to play a bit with a Abarth complete car then in the end turn it into a kit to do swap. In discussion with Bob Martin, he called Dibs on my project and wanted to participate in the process.

First step is to go to the wrecking yard and find an all metal cable shifter from a 1991 Honda Accord. Keep in mind that some changes to the shifter must be done, but the shifter and the cables are required for this installation.

A trip to pull apart yielded the following.

IMG_4196.JPG

It appears that the people in Kentucky mostly drove automatic transmissions but we managed to find 2 cars with manual transmissions in the yard.
IMG_4199.JPG

The shifter is modified to changed the throws and now face the rear of the car.

IMG_0567.JPG

The Honda Rods were coupled to the Fiat Stock Cables and installed in the road car like this.
IMG_0828.JPG

TonyK. At Bob Martin's in
Radcliff Kentucky.
IMG_4196.JPG
IMG_4199.JPG
IMG_0567.JPG
IMG_0828.JPG

awesome~ I almost went the honda route when I saw that on ebay, the honda shifters were more expensive than porsche boxster shifters. But I do Like the honda shifter for being metal!

Odie

The shifter and the cables were only $40 from pull a part. The more recent versions have parts made from plastic. Pass, will take metal over plastic any time.

TonyK

At Bob Martin's
in Radcliff Kentucky.

The shifter and the cables were only $40 from pull a part. The more recent versions have parts made from plastic. Pass, will take metal over plastic any time.

WOW!!!!!! on ebay they are insanely expensive. like there might be a market if I can find any in junk yards. Just checked and $150 is the going rate for used. There werent any in a junkyard near me. Being in Michigan, imports are not plentiful.

Odie

WOW!!!!!! on ebay they are insanely expensive. like there might be a market if I can find any in junk yards. Just checked and $150 is the going rate for used. There werent any in a junkyard near me. Being in Michigan, imports are not plentiful.

...anymore. Salt had its way with Japanese cars of this vintage a long time ago. Those cars rusted right behind the rear doors and the entire car went away from there.

A while ago Chris Obert emailed me and asked me if I had considered making a kit to do an Abarth Swap. I am not retired, so my time is limited. That being said I decided that I wanted to play a bit with a Abarth complete car then in the end turn it into a kit to do swap. In discussion with Bob Martin, he called Dibs on my project and wanted to participate in the process.

Just so we get this straight... we should be expecting an Abarth MultiAir Transplant How-To sometime in the near future? :eek:

Just so we get this straight... we should be expecting an Abarth MultiAir Transplant How-To sometime in the near future? :eek:
I am going to walk through the mechanics of it. Certainly not for the faint of heart. Bob Martin wants to use the Air to Air intercoolers on his Black Dallara. I used a water to air intercooler so that portion is more complicated as it requires water lines, 5 small rads and pump circuit. Air to air does not require this, but it requires room and air flow in the back of the car, which will be a challenge.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Back