Access to to shift lever

ward00

True Classic
In a separate thread I asked about shifting linkage. This post https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/scorpion-linkage.12405/ provides photos of the ball joints that may need to be welded to firm up the linkage.

The question I have has to do with access to the shift lever to be able to inspect its bushing. Can the shift column and its bushing be accessed/removed from the bottom of the car or does one have to remove the vinyl tunnel in the passenger compartment?
Welded Linkage 2.jpg
Stock v Chads Shift Lever 2A.jpg

Last edited:
One removes it from the top, so the plastic interior bits have to come out.

So far I found one broken ball joint weld and a loose nut in the linkage. Hopefully that's all I need to improve my 3rd to 2nd downshifting because I really do no want to be removing interior plastic.

Its been awhile but IIRC its just the plastic emergency brake surround trim and an access plug to reach the bolt and/or machine screw holding the upper center tunnel upholstered section.

On both my scorpions the shifter cup was busted. Where the stick shift goes into the ball. TMH remakes them in hard plastic.

1642000271918.jpeg

On both my scorpions the shifter cup was busted. Where the stick shift goes into the ball. TMH remakes them in hard plastic.

View attachment 56983
What are the symptoms of a broken cup? Generally sloppy shifting?

Ha, never had a running Scorpion to know, I always replace them during the process of getting it back on the road. I also bought the metal shifter from the Monte Consortium

For some reason, to get 5th I have to push down slightly on the lever as I would if going into reverse. Not a huge deal, but I wonder if the shift cup is involved somehow. Then again, my linkage was significantly reworked from stock by a previous owner.

Just getting to putting my shifter back in the car after its inspection. My ball mount was in one piece, but the hole in the bottom lever did have a little play. My solution was to drill it out a tiny bit and install some thin wall sleeves.
20220119_183849.jpg

Back