Adapters for mounting Wilwood 4 pot calipers for X1/9, 128, 127...

andreav

True Classic
Hi guys, I started to work on radial adapters for mounting Wilwoods on front wheels, prototype is made from aluminum and all bolts ok, real ones will be from steel 42CrMo4 ( C4732 ) and maybe in future if we find correct alloy will be switched from alloy.
Adapters after are made will be zinc plated in white or yellow color, still didnt choose.
They are designed for use with 10 inch ventilated rotors from Fiat program, can supply also rotors, just adapters or full kit.
It is designed for use with 13 inch wheels, at least it is going under wheel what we test.
Prices is hard to say exact still, but just adapters I hope that will be around 150usd maybe max 200usd or 200usd shipped.
Tomorrow will upload few photos of adapters alone and how looks all bolted on.

Really nice. There are not many hi-perf brakes fitting over 13" wheels. I may be interested. What is the Wilwood model used? Are these Fiat 500 ventilated rotors? Thanks!

Thanks, after are made and mounted will test several wheels, also will have correct price.
About calipers in this case are used Powerlite series with radial mounting but I will check if other series will fit, also always is possible to made different mounts.
Rotors are 257mm used on various Alfa's, Fiats and Lancias in 90s and 00s, once are adapters ready will write all infos in thread which hardware is needed.

It is ready first batch, now just to zinc-plate them that are protected from rust, next batch I think we will do from alloy if all will as we plan.A112 FIAT 127 128 X19 BERTONE LANCIA MONTECARLO ZASTAVA YUGO BRAKE CALIPER ADAPTERS WILWOOD (11).jpg A112 FIAT 127 128 X19 BERTONE LANCIA MONTECARLO ZASTAVA YUGO BRAKE CALIPER ADAPTERS WILWOOD (12).jpg A112 FIAT 127 128 X19 BERTONE LANCIA MONTECARLO ZASTAVA YUGO BRAKE CALIPER ADAPTERS WILWOOD (13).jpg

These look great! I was looking at the Wilwoods. Very interested in your set up. When will you have it for sale?

Be aware you will have to do something about hose end as the Wilwood caliper does not use the same caliper thread as the Fiat caliper. Maybe a simple adaptor is available. I had one of the first WHOA brake kits and I'm pretty sure it came with brake hoses. I'm also not sure the length of the Fiat hose is correct. Clearly the adaptor is the key item and not something most of us would be able to make so this it's great that Andreav is going to market them.

Andreav, the 124 guys would be interested in this too although the bracket would be different.

These look great! I was looking at the Wilwoods. Very interested in your set up. When will you have it for sale?
You are interested in full kit or adapters only?

Be aware you will have to do something about hose end as the Wilwood caliper does not use the same caliper thread as the Fiat caliper. Maybe a simple adaptor is available. I had one of the first WHOA brake kits and I'm pretty sure it came with brake hoses. I'm also not sure the length of the Fiat hose is correct. Clearly the adaptor is the key item and not something most of us would be able to make so this it's great that Andreav is going to market them.

Andreav, the 124 guys would be interested in this too although the bracket would be different.
Yes you are right, there are 2 ways possible, first to made just basic adapters what will be screwed directly in calipers or second to made custom braided hoses with correct thread on one side for wilwood.
I will check in next week over guy who is making all cnc parts that we made also this, will be included with adapters.

About 124 guys, can made any adapter for any car, do you know on which forum to ask?

mirafiori.com. A US website for all classic Fiats but now mostly 124 guys. Many of us who come here also go there. Years ago Jim Fierst made the first readily available kit for Wilwood four piston brakes for 124s and then made a kit for X19s. The kits were complete with brackets, calipers and hoses. I had them on my spider and then my 128s and X1/9s and really liked them. I can't say whether you should make complete kits or not but I think if you sold the brackets and hoses, most of us could buy the Wilwood calipers if you indicate which model we need. Others might want the complete kit and I imagine some just want the brackets. I'll leave the marketing to you but you might want to ask the folks here what they would prefer and what your prices are.

I'd suggest making hoses with banjo/bolt type fittings (at the caliper) and stainless braided hose. Banjos give more installation flexibility. These should be pretty easy to have made locally by hydraulic hose supply houses. However that's assuming the fitting on the chassis end is readily available - I seem to recall that is the odd one (I've already forgotten which ones were what)? But like Carl said it would be nice to work out the correct length and fittings and include the hoses with the brackets. Determining the correct length for each car model application may require a trial fitting of the calipers on each model.

As for the calipers themselves, it might depend on how good of a price you can get them. The shipping cost will definitely be higher if calipers are included, so I think your total price would need to be competitive with buying them locally vs the shipping. Same for the rotors; shipping of rotors will be high, but knowing the exact part numbers and other details would be needed to get them locally. That's assuming they are readily available over here in the USA - a lot of Fiat models were never offered here so parts for them are not available. It all depends on what they were off of. For example the rotors for the US version of the New 500 base model has been found to fit the X1/9, and these rotors are easy to get here. So if your kit worked with those rotors it would be a good choice for the US market. There may be others. Since the calipers are a universal component that is readily available pretty much anywhere, it may be best to focus on the brackets, hoses, mounting hardware, and detailed instructions? Just my thoughts.

You are interested in full kit or adapters only?

?/QUOTE]

I would be interested in the adapters, Calipers and rotors Depending on price. I could not figure out how you were mounting the calipers to the brackets? The hoses I can have made up locally so not an issue.

Hi @andreav,

As soon as you could give us a cost, I could be interested in a set of adapters. For the other parts, I guess we could save by buying them directly in North America instead of having them shipped from you, but still, it is all price dépendent because I'm going to need the calipers, the rotors and probably the brake lines also.

For Europe/Germany, brackets that look like an original part and have the part number of an original Fiat bracket on them would be ideal. :cool:

For Europe/Germany, brackets that look like an original part and have the part number of an original Fiat bracket on them would be ideal.
I imagine that is to help pass inspections? It would be difficult to make adapters that look "stock". And the Wilwood calipers are certainly not stock looking at all. What do they allow in that respect?

You guys are mentioning rotors, I assume this kit uses the stock rotor so you don't need to buy special ones. Wheel fitment is the other issue. When I worked with Jim Fierst I was trying various 13" wheels I had access to. Some would fit, others would not. Since the Wilwood calipers come from the US, it would make more sense for US customers to buy them separate.

I assume this kit uses the stock rotor so you don't need to buy special ones. Wheel fitment is the other issue.
Quotes from the original post:
"They are designed for use with 10 inch ventilated rotors from Fiat program."
"It is designed for use with 13 inch wheels, at least it is going under wheel what we test."

mirafiori.com. A US website for all classic Fiats but now mostly 124 guys. Many of us who come here also go there. Years ago Jim Fierst made the first readily available kit for Wilwood four piston brakes for 124s and then made a kit for X19s. The kits were complete with brackets, calipers and hoses. I had them on my spider and then my 128s and X1/9s and really liked them. I can't say whether you should make complete kits or not but I think if you sold the brackets and hoses, most of us could buy the Wilwood calipers if you indicate which model we need. Others might want the complete kit and I imagine some just want the brackets. I'll leave the marketing to you but you might want to ask the folks here what they would prefer and what your prices are.
They will look on this forum, I m interested to have at least photo of full kit and that is on order, adapters will try to have on stock always.
Adapters are designed for use with Wilwood Powerlited series, yes over you in US Wilwood is chear than here and yes you are right at least will be saving on shipping.

I'd suggest making hoses with banjo/bolt type fittings (at the caliper) and stainless braided hose. Banjos give more installation flexibility. These should be pretty easy to have made locally by hydraulic hose supply houses. However that's assuming the fitting on the chassis end is readily available - I seem to recall that is the odd one (I've already forgotten which ones were what)? But like Carl said it would be nice to work out the correct length and fittings and include the hoses with the brackets. Determining the correct length for each car model application may require a trial fitting of the calipers on each model.

As for the calipers themselves, it might depend on how good of a price you can get them. The shipping cost will definitely be higher if calipers are included, so I think your total price would need to be competitive with buying them locally vs the shipping. Same for the rotors; shipping of rotors will be high, but knowing the exact part numbers and other details would be needed to get them locally. That's assuming they are readily available over here in the USA - a lot of Fiat models were never offered here so parts for them are not available. It all depends on what they were off of. For example the rotors for the US version of the New 500 base model has been found to fit the X1/9, and these rotors are easy to get here. So if your kit worked with those rotors it would be a good choice for the US market. There may be others. Since the calipers are a universal component that is readily available pretty much anywhere, it may be best to focus on the brackets, hoses, mounting hardware, and detailed instructions? Just my thoughts.

Jeff good idea with banjo bolt, I will look also on that at least is probably easier for mouting and hose will be in better position, flat. Braided hoses also not problem but will need legths which are needed and probably will be best to made set for all 4 wheels.
For rotors will made list on which models are if not I can modify program in cnc milling machine and to made adapters that fits 500 rotors...
Hmm instructions can be made but is is really simple work at least for me, I understand that there are mebers who have no or little experience with working on cars and yes for them will be nice that is some instructions available.

Okay for full kit price I will look and will write here in next few days, just adapters I can offer for forum members 200usd shipped to USA, webiste are 199 euros plus shipping.
But if this is too expensive let me know, I m sure that we can find some that is ok for me and for you.

For Europe/Germany, brackets that look like an original part and have the part number of an original Fiat bracket on them would be ideal. :cool:
Also no problem, if you suply me numebrs what need to be engraved, I can add this in price.

The Wilwood calipers with Fiat 500 257mm vented rotors won't fit with my 13 inch x 6 rims, so some carefull checks need to be done. As well as the larger diameter, the problem is standard X1/9 rotors are 46mm high, and 35mm from rotor face to wheel mounting face, the 500 vented rotors are 40.5mm high, and only 18.5mm from rotor face to wheel mounting face. Depending on your wheels, they may fit if you use quite thick wheel spacers to move the wheel out further. A better option may be to use 240mm rotors that are used on some Fiat 500s in Europe, but then there are shipping costs, and you still may need a spacer. The smaller rotors won't upset the front to rear brake balance as much either, but that depends on what caliper piston size you use.

Back