Added a car to my stable

addictedpunk

Daily Driver
A1F9EF54-BEB0-41F8-8972-F52313B82900.jpeg

This will be my daily driver for a long time. The X can now take a rest and become the garage queen she is.

Love the hot Focuses and Fiestas. Curious why you didn't go ahead and get an RS? :)
Basically, can’t afford an RS.
Besides, the ST platform is a lot more forgiving in mods, in my opinion. Plus, I’ve seen a few guys blow past RSs just with 1.5k-2k worth of mods. Granted, I think the RS looks a helluva lot better, but the ST has a lot more potential. Also, at the price and mileage I got it, I basically stole it.
Only complaint is that the previous owner did some goofy, Mickey Mouse jobs on it that I had to fix and he/she was a slob. The interior was disgusting. I spend a weekend with a vacuum and upholstery cleaner just to get the stains out. Who the hell puts gum on a steering wheel?!

I also like the little Fords, ever since they started bringing in the "Euro Ford" models. So I don't consider them as "American cars". :D

The interior was disgusting. I spend a weekend with a vacuum and upholstery cleaner just to get the stains out. Who the hell puts gum on a steering wheel?!
I was just thinking the same thing the other day, as I did some cleaning to a "parts car" X1/9 before I could even get inside it to remove some interior parts. It was so disgusting I couldn't even stick my head inside without wanting to vomit. As I touched any surface my hands turned black with grime. 🤮
Every old car seems to have an amazing collection of really weird stuff behind the seats, under the carpet, behind the dash, in the HVAC system, and a myriad of other strange places. How does it get there, and more importantly - what was that stuff doing in any car to begin with? ☠️

Good thing nobody ever took a blacklight to the inside of my first X !!! Let's just say I was much more limber when I was 19 years old :D
Too funny Tom. You reminded me of some old episodes of "Top Gear". Back in the early days of the TV show it was actually about cars. But over time it turned into a variety show full of silly pranks and gags, which lost me. But a couple of times the three hosts were each asked to buy their pick of a car for a very small sum. Then they would be given challenges to complete with those cars. One challenge was to have a lab take samples from the cars and see who bought the least offensive one. The lab results were amazing...I won't go into detail in case anyone is eating while reading this. But let's just say your comment is on the right track for one of those findings. Other findings were much more offensive. 🤢

Love the hot Focuses and Fiestas. Curious why you didn't go ahead and get an RS? :)
I drove an RS out from Los Angeles to Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch in Pahrump, NV and it was about the worst car imaginable for the trip. Horrid NVH. Excellent track car once I got there, but absolutely terrible for daily road use.

I drove an RS out from Los Angeles to Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch in Pahrump, NV and it was about the worst car imaginable for the trip. Horrid NVH. Excellent track car once I got there, but absolutely terrible for daily road use.
I've actually heard this a lot about the RS. It's an amazing performance, TRACK ORIENTED car. But once it's exposed to surface roads and city life, it turns into a very uncomfortable ride. i get it. You either really love it or you really hate it.

Also, another reason why it didn't sell much, despite the performance, was the dealers. They added charges that drove the price way up, and they treated the people wanting to buy it with a "you're not worthy" attitude.

I read a funny story from one of the guys on the ST forums about how he pulled into a Ford dealer with his Lambo (wealthy guy), and asked to test drive the RS. as he was probably going to buy it. They told him it was too much car for him and they don't really let just anyone drive it. That he probably wouldn't like the insurance cost if he crashed it on the test drive. Meanwhile, half the guys on the sales floor are outside taking pictures of his Lambo. He laughed at them, went across the street to the Subaru dealer, test drove an STI and bought it on the spot.

I guess some folks want the crashy, harsh ride because they think it equates to performance. In my early 20s I drove an AW11 MR2 with TRD springs and Tokico Illumina shocks. That car already suffered from short suspension travel and shorter springs plus firm dampers just made everything worse. But that's what I thought "performance" was when I was 23. Then I drove a Boxster S my dad had just bought and it was a revelation. The car's body was well controlled and didn't roll much in corners, but it was also compliant and quiet over rough patches. Ah... THIS is how it's supposed to be.

"Performance" isn't the only reason some have a harsh ride. I knew a guy that wanted the "look" of a really slammed lowered car so he removed the springs and rode on the bump-stops. It was funny to watch him drive down the road, the car hopping and bouncing all over the place. But he thought it looked cool. :rolleyes:

This also reminds me of the cheap coilover kits for Hondas, with 500+ pound springs. They bounce and skip all over as well.

For that matter, I sometimes wonder about "performance" cars with incredibly hard springs. Unless it is only used on a really smooth surface, is it really higher performance? Seems all the bouncing would lower grip levels?

I forgot where I heard this, but it was said that the problem with mass produced performance vehicles that were meant to be sold to just about anyone, is that these vehicles are developed and tuned on a track to achieve the fastest lap times possible. And the only thing I can really time at this point, is how fast I can get to the grocery store in LA traffic. I can't imagine sitting in an RS moving at a pace of 5 feet per three minutes,

I think it was Top Gear that said it. Something about performance cars only being developed to beat the Nurburgring times, and that's what makes them undesirable.

Agreed, I've always disliked harsh suspensions for the street. Firm maybe, but not hard. Naturally it may depend on how you use the car; daily commute to work or occasional weekend joy ride. And on the roads and traffic in your area.

My old Miata R was fairly stiff, but with a set of 008RSIIs on it, it was an absolute hoot. Had stock R package Bilsteins on it with FM springs. Later I went with Bridgestone S-03s and 15x7 Panasports.

This discussion brings up a point. Any model of any car can be upgraded with aftermarket components to bring it to pretty much any level of performance or comfort. I think it really comes down to what the owner wants and what the factory offers. I've known guys to buy the "hot" version of a model for a lot of money, then spend a lot more money adding aftermarket components...essentially replacing all of the "hot" factory stuff. I've also known guys to buy the base model, then spend as much as the the "hot" version to bring it up to that same level of performance. Neither makes much financial sense to me. But I also feel there is a wider choice of options, with a broader range of potential (performance or comfort) with aftermarket components than what comes from the factory (in most cases). Regardless, making a car your own with whatever equipment you prefer is what I love about the automotive scene. And everyone has different wants/needs.

Amen, Doc. I met a guy while autox'n who kicked nearly everyone's ass in a stock miata with sticky yoko's on it. He was dusting some pretty exotic s#%t simply by being a good driver. Mods are indeed in the wallet of the beholder. BTW, my daughter had one of these little fords. Fun as hell, stock.

Back