Additives for engine

Janis

True Classic
Electrician's workshop has had excellent experience with this product (see below). Engine was assambled with this additive, and run on dyno few runs on adjusting maps, with blocked oil filter-no oill, without any internal damage.

So he suggested to use it in the X19.

Before using it, am asking here -maybe You know that this maybe is not suitable for X19 or is?

Protec P9201NEPS

E3A96185-10CA-4D7E-85A6-C6351B3A147F.jpeg

I've not seen this product before. With a quick Google search it appears to be a European item (I didn't see any offered directly in the US). The description is as follows:

Properties:
Forms a highly active nanobarrier in the lubrication system, which, when nanoparticles are distributed, provides a minimum coefficient of friction. Maintains all seals in good working order, including O-rings and Simmerring radial shaft seals.

• Highly active antifriction protection,
  • Instant lubrication during cold engine start,
  • Smooth and quiet operation of the engine,
  • Increased engine power,
  • Long engine life,
  • Maximum EP in emergency lubrication mode.
Applications:
The product is compatible with all oils.

Directions for use:
Add after every oil change. Before use, it is recommended to flush the oil system with ENGINE FLUSH.

Consumption:

375 ml is enough for 5 liters of oil. For gearboxes and differentials, dose at a ratio of 1:10.

Action Time:
Valid during vehicle operation

It sounds very similar to a couple of other products that have been popular here for many years. Some people swear by them.
I attend several automotive trade shows every year and there are always lots of demonstrations for things like this. To be perfectly honest I'm not a fan of any "magic in a can", but that's only my personal opinion. Adding anything to the oil is a bit tricky, as modern oils have a very complex blend of additives already engineered into them. So I'd wonder exactly what the chemistry would be by throwing something else into the mix. However I have no experience with this particular product, but I'm sure others have found it to be a benefit to them.

Reactions: NEG
Lots of products on the market promising fantastic results. This is probably just another one. IMO they are all bogus, at least in the long run. Possibly it will stop leakage, restore compression etc for a short time, but in the long run an engine overhaul is the only way that works.

The issue here is the ‘nano barrier’ for minimum friction....if the lubrication system and engine is in good order and healthy then you don’t require this, bearing surfaces should be separated by an oil film and not require magical fixes. Build correctly and use quality oil and don’t buy snake oil!

Lots of these have been around for decades. Seem to demonstrate amazing results. I am a skeptic.

Manufacturers go to considerable lengths to reduce friction inside engines and transmissions to improve fuel economy. A couple of examples: Several manufacturers have begun using lower tension piston rings to reduce friction/drag to improve fuel economy. And Ford recently designed a new transmission for their heavy duty line of pickup trucks. They put a thermostat in the oil cooler circuit to maintain a normal operating temperature of 200 degrees. This is about 20 degrees higher than automatics have traditionally been targeted for. The reason for the change was the higher temperature reduced friction and improved fuel economy slightly.

Why did I point out those examples? Because if a simple additive could reduce friction and improve engine performance, durability and economy, the manufacturers would all use it. Not to mention the oil manufacturers would have bought the technology and applied it to their own products. Because neither of these things have happened, I am skeptical of their claims.

Engine was assambled with this additive, and run on dyno few runs on adjusting maps, with blocked oil filter-no oill, without any internal damage.
I'll add another comment regarding the part about running a engine on the dyno with this additive but without oil. Once a engine gets lubed internally it can run quite a long time without oil and without serious damage. Obviously I don't recommend it, but it is amazing how long it will go that way. Back in the 80's there was a popular game at the aircooled VW car shows. They would take a old used VW engine, drain all of the oil out, remove the cooling fan, and run it at full throttle until it exploded. The game was who could guess how long it would take to grenade. Simply amazing how long they would keep revving at WOT, no load, and no oil!

I'm about to break-in a new set of rings on another car. The manufacturer of the rings specifically states not to use synthetic oil because it will prevent the rings from seating. Never knew you could have too little friction in an engine, lol.

Alright, I'll 'fess up: I actually believe in two types of snake oil. Sea Foam and Red Line Water Wetter.

Back