Adjusting engine cover (won't latch properly)

Henway

True Classic
When I got it, it would require slamming down several times HARD to latch. No bueno.
I'm trying to adjust it and now it won't even lock (even though I've removed the plastic strip on the back side that makes it look like it's sealed tighter).
I've temporarily screwed the rubber bumpers far in so they don't even touch.
But it won't latch with the cover. I can close the latch by pushing it down with a screwdriver--so it does move and it does latch.

There are two 10mm screws that hold it in, but it doesn't seem to adjust anything.

The cover is centered and otherwise moves through its full range.

Any guidance?

engine cover

I might be the up and down adjustment in the latch. doesn't look as if there, when you loosen the bolts, there is at least one or two mm. range op and down.
and really lube the latch.
mikemo

yeah what mike said, and to add - it's been my observation that the respective washers for the latch attachment bolts are not flat - now whether that is by design or a byproduct of people overtightening the attachment bolts I don't know. But what I do know is that if you make sure flat washers are being used, you will have more adjustment ability with the latch.

You are on the right track with screwing in the rubber bumpers down all the way. The other thing to do is check the alignment of the engine lid, from left to right, and forward to back. Inspect the body gaps all the way around the lid, then loosen the hinge bolts on the lid side of the hinge and adjust as needed. Once the lid is centered and the bolts are tight, you're ready to center and align the latch to match.

Loosen the latch bolts and center the latch to the hook on the lid, and pull up on the latch as far as you can, then tighten the bolts and see if it latches. If it does, back out the rubber bumpers to give the lid a level alignment and the latch to work properly and rattle free.

There is a spring on the bottom of the latch. With out the spring the latch will not return to proper position for latching. You might check to see if that is the problem. Or it could just be dirty and need cleaning to free it up. If it is an adjustment problem the holes that the bolts go through can be enlarged a bit giving more movement.

Related Question - Engine Cover Bumper Stop Adjustment. I thought my engine cover was bent but realized the bump stop on the right side (pic) is lower than the left. I want to pull it up a notch or two but before I just pull it with plyers (and ruining it) wondering if there is a right way?
dome cap~2.jpg

Mike, they actually "screw" into the body. It doesn't look like it, but those groves are spiral like a bolt thread. And the hole in the body has two angled flats offset from one another. So just grab the rubber piece and twist it in or out as desired. Just like a bolt, lefty loosey, righty tighty....or in this case, lefty makes it taller, righty makes it shorter. You shouldn't even need a pair of pliers to twist it. But sometimes they get rather 'stuck' and require some motivation.

Back