Ah, someone just couldn't leave well enough alone

One thing that I hope has changed with the new forum format has to do with writing "PM" messages. The old system had a short time limit to edit your message, after which you could not correct or add to it. I am a multi-tasker so sometimes I get distracted while communicating and that time-out thing was very annoying. I haven't had the opportunity to see if that no longer exists on this new format but I hope so.

Carl is here. Carl gets irritable when nothing is broken or needs attacking with tools on his X.
But, I found an old rear trunk lid and will attack it with power tools to see how much I can lighten it. See what I did, clear, concise and no funny cartoons to further express my emotions.

Yes, I'm messing with all your heads.

Carl is here. Carl gets irritable when nothing is broken or needs attacking with tools on his X.
But, I found an old rear trunk lid and will attack it with power tools to see how much I can lighten it. See what I did, clear, concise and no funny cartoons to further express my emotions.

Yes, I'm messing with all your heads.
I mostly noticed the use of illeism. It seems third person carl is just as cranky as first person carl.

Note to self: Stay off carl's lawn. :)

Society has lost the fine art of the written word. If you need funny pictures then you have not properly written the content of your letter/email/etc and you should be ashamed of yourself. Your third grade teacher knew what she was talking about.🏴‍☠️
Carl, my written French is really, really good. Can't say the same about my English 💩 . That's why I'm needing emojis.☮

- I have a hard time discarding things.
If I remember correctly the machines from DEC during the eighties was named VAX.
I also don't know why I keep obsolete documentation and manuals.
IMG_20200519_205503.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't keep DOS, OS/2 and Windows 1.0 - 3.x stuff. I started working in IT business 1983. It would have been fun to have all documentation from the very early PC era.

Every kid grew up with a neighbor who yelled at us to get off their grass. Now that same type of guy is head of your HOA and yells at us to get our untagged Fiats off the street.

Carl is OK, sorry if I upset anyone. Now get the hell off my driveway!

I'm an older guy (almost 60), I normally do not like changes but this new version of the website is pardon the word "AWSOME!" Keep up the good work.
Mel.

Yesterday I connected to the new forum format for the first time with my phone. It did not go so smoothly. Are there some settings that need to be tweaked in order to make it more usable on a portable device? It is a Android phone.

I'm an older guy (almost 60), I normally do not like changes but this new version of the website is pardon the word "AWSOME!" Keep up the good work.
Mel.
"Almost 60" is probably lower than the average age on this forum... But that's fine as long as you don't walk on Carl's driveway and don't use too many emojis. 👍

Yesterday I connected to the new forum format for the first time with my phone. It did not go so smoothly. Are there some settings that need to be tweaked in order to make it more usable on a portable device? It is a Android phone.
I have an Android phone and have had no big issues with the new format. Yes, it is different. I have no idea what options exist, if any. One thing I noted: right next to the white/black Xweb logo in the upper left, there is a series of 3 horizontal bars. I tap on the bars with my left thumb (I hold the phone in my left hand a lot) and I get the entire menu of things I would care to access.

there is a series of 3 horizontal bars
Thanks Jim. I explored the options behind those bars but did not see anything immediately to help out. I can look closer.

I guess I should be a bit more specific on my experience. The forum worked, but a couple of funny things happened. For one the avatar images (round circle) for each post were HUGE, to the point of being distorted and almost not recognizable, causing me to scroll down a long way to reach the actual post. The other thing was when I went to open another function (I think it was the "new posts" link) it wouldn't do anything, just showed a screen similar to the forums home page. I could not get it to show me the actual feature I was looking for.

I should also say my Android is a older version on a older smartphone, so there may be some incompatibility issues?

Thanks Jim. I explored the options behind those bars but did not see anything immediately to help out. I can look closer.

I guess I should be a bit more specific on my experience. The forum worked, but a couple of funny things happened. For one the avatar images (round circle) for each post were HUGE, to the point of being distorted and almost not recognizable, causing me to scroll down a long way to reach the actual post. The other thing was when I went to open another function (I think it was the "new posts" link) it wouldn't do anything, just showed a screen similar to the forums home page. I could not get it to show me the actual feature I was looking for.

I should also say my Android is a older version on a older smartphone, so there may be some incompatibility issues?
Everything in my Anroid phone's browser looks appropriately sized for the screen and everything seems to function as I would expect. (I am running the Brave Browser these days) Any odd things you are seeing are probably in your browser set up or due to the old version of the Android OS. What browser are you running? I was using Chrome, but got tired of the overall Google integration.

Regardless of what's happening with Xweb, my recommendation is to get a newer phone with the latest Android OS available for that phone. Not necessarily a new phone, you can find used phones. Talk to your provider and see what they have to offer. I held onto my original smart phone way too long because I am cheap. My plans are thru Sprint and I was able to order an open box Samsung Galaxy J7 Perx for about $9/month for 18 months. The J7 isn't fancy, but the camera is better than my old Galaxy phone and the OS actually updates. My old Galaxy phone was stuck at some really old Android version and wasn't allowed to take upgrades. Just a thought.

I'm using Chrome on it. And it is a older OS (not sure which one off hand). I really do need to replace it, as the battery is starting to act up at times. I've kept it forever because it has been very reliable and honestly I do not use it for much more than a phone (I know, I'm old)....plus I'm also cheap.

I've looked at a few options for replacements. I've never had any Apple products and feel like the iPhones are too sophisticated and expensive for my needs. I'd also be interested in getting a unlocked phone to make international travel easier. I'm with T-Mobile and they have some sort of secondary lock on their phones that do not allow you to make any SIM card changes. Found that out the hard way, wasted two days of my trip trying to resolve it. The other option would be to change carriers, to one that allows SIM changes or has international services. But the plan I have with T-Mobile is too good to let go - $30 flat per month unlimited everything (a special they once offered and is guaranteed so long as you stay current). If I used the phone more then I could justify spending more, but I just don't.

I noticed a electronics store chain out west (Fry's) offers refurbished phones at pretty decent prices. And they claim to be unlocked (not sure how that would work with my T-Mobile service though). I might consider that option. But I'm now seeing things about a completely new cell system (5G ?). So wondering if it worth waiting to get onto that?

But I'm now seeing things about a completely new cell system (5G ?). So wondering if it worth waiting to get onto that?

There will be 5G phones, but let the early adopters pay for the sizzle. The 5G network is built on top of the 4G technology now in use. 4G will be around for years and you will get some benefit from the 5G as providers blend their networks over time. Get a 5G phone when you have to, not now. Just my 2 cents worth of free advice. I am no cell phone expert by any means.

I am also having phone link problems. My mother in laws rotary kitchen phone is just not cooperating.

You can walk on my driveway, just don't walk on my grass...it took five years of toxic chemicals to get the grass an approval rating by my neighbors.

I just noticed something else that has changed and I need to find a better way to work with it.

When I want to reference a outside article or other webpage, I've always "copied" the address and "pasted" it in my thread so it comes up as a "link". But now when I do that it copies the entire website (page, article, whatever) into my post, not just a 'link'. In some cases that creates a problem because the content is huge (for an example see the thread I just started about "Targa Tops"). How do I add a link without getting the whole site?
Thanks

EDIT: Ok, I just looked back at the new thread and now it looks more like a link. It's somewhat expanded, but not the entire article/webpage as I first thought. When I was creating the new thread it took forever to format the "link", giving the impression the entire site was posting. In the past it was fast at just adding the URL as a link, now there seems to be more going on. Nothing wrong with that, but I just want to be sure I'm doing it the best way. Suggestions?

Last edited:
Back