Ah, someone just couldn't leave well enough alone

I just noticed something else that has changed and I need to find a better way to work with it.

When I want to reference a outside article or other webpage, I've always "copied" the address and "pasted" it in my thread so it comes up as a "link". But now when I do that it copies the entire website (page, article, whatever) into my post, not just a 'link'. In some cases that creates a problem because the content is huge (for an example see the thread I just started about "Targa Tops"). How do I add a link without getting the whole site?
Thanks

EDIT: Ok, I just looked back at the new thread and now it looks more like a link. It's somewhat expanded, but not the entire article/webpage as I first thought. When I was creating the new thread it took forever to format the "link", giving the impression the entire site was posting. In the past it was fast at just adding the URL as a link, now there seems to be more going on. Nothing wrong with that, but I just want to be sure I'm doing it the best way. Suggestions?

Hi Dr Jeff - What you're seeing is called link preview or unfurling, where a short preview of the link content is shown along with the URL. This started about 5 years ago and is now very common behavior now across many social media and productivity platforms. Some find it helpful to decide if they want to actually click on a UR before doing so, and of course it works wonders for the click-bait contingent :)

What you're seeing is called link preview or unfurling
Thanks Mark. As I said in my edit, I was mistaken at first - I thought it was copying the entire content. And that could have been an issue. But I now see that's not the case. So I'm learning as I go. ;)

Ok, another oddity that might be me or my computer. But I never noticed it before so wondering if it has anything to do with the upgrade (which a really like by the way).

The "spell checker" seems to functioning a bit weird. It highlights any typos, etc as it should. And when I click on the highlight it shows me the correction as it should. But when I click on the correction it doesn't always make the change. Once in a while it does but most of the time not. Furthermore once that has happened it is a chore to get the mistake highlighted again (if I want to still use spell-checker to make the correction). I've also noticed the highlighted word (typo, etc) does not stay highlighted if I don't act on it while still writing in the same sentence. That makes it easy to miss mistakes.

Is anyone else seeing odd "spelll checker" behavior?

Ok, another oddity that might be me or my computer. But I never noticed it before so wondering if it has anything to do with the upgrade (which a really like by the way).

The "spell checker" seems to functioning a bit weird. It highlights any typos, etc as it should. And when I click on the highlight it shows me the correction as it should. But when I click on the correction it doesn't always make the change. Once in a while it does but most of the time not. Furthermore once that has happened it is a chore to get the mistake highlighted again (if I want to still use spell-checker to make the correction). I've also noticed the highlighted word (typo, etc) does not stay highlighted if I don't act on it while still writing in the same sentence. That makes it easy to miss mistakes.

Is anyone else seeing odd "spelll checker" behavior?

It's not happening to me. Maybe because I NEVER made any mistakes! 😇

I made a bunch of typos on a bunch of lines in a test post and had no issues at all. I was able to move between lines and correct mistakes one by one regardless of how far back the error was in the text.

Perhaps you are having mouse issues? Do you have a wireless mouse? If so, when was the last time you put in a fresh battery.. or even replaced the mouse. I have had two pretty nice wireless mice crap out on me recently. Both were a few years old, new batteries didn't help. Replacing the mouse was the only cure.

This can happen with wired mice as well. If you have a "known good" mouse, try it out to see if the behavior changes.

I was able to move between lines and correct mistakes one by one regardless of how far back the error was in the text.
Perhaps you are having mouse issues?
Thanks Jim. As I mentioned I suspected this wasn't a system issue, but more likely something on my end. Although I haven't noticed the same thing on other sites/applications. I use a wireless mouse and it shows the batteries are good. But I agree it does seem like a reasonable cause for this problem. I'll try a few things and see what happens. Appreciate you checking the function for problems. ;)

I was able to move between lines and correct mistakes one by one regardless of how far back the error was in the text.
Update. First I put a new battery in the wireless mouse, no improvement. Then I checked that the 'dongle' was seated and verified the drivers were current and good, still no improvement. So I completely removed the mouse and all associated components and installed a new one. The spell checker issue still exists. Since then I've been observing other sites, including another forum, to see if the spell checker - or any similar - problems exist...none. It seems to be isolated to the spell checker function on Xweb, and only since the upgrade. I can live with it but it is frustrating (it's happening as I write this). Any thing else that I should check for?

It seems to be isolated to the spell checker function on Xweb, and only since the upgrade.

Apparently, you are the only one experiencing this issue. I don't know what to tell you, the Xweb software is the same for everyone.

Apparently, you are the only one experiencing this issue.
Good to know. That helps me think where to look. If others had the same issue then it would be completely different, thanks.
Perhaps my particular combination of OS software, browser, and virus protection? Or any one of those in particular.

Good to know. That helps me think where to look. If others had the same issue then it would be completely different, thanks.
Perhaps my particular combination of OS software, browser, and virus protection? Or any one of those in particular.
Or the nut behind the steering? 😷

I made a bunch of typos on a bunch of lines in a test post and had no issues at all. I was able to move between lines and correct mistakes one by one regardless of how far back the error was in the text.
@JimD , the other day this "spell checker" issue all started working correctly again. No idea why it wasn't working before, or why it is now. I haven't had any system updates other than antivirus definitions. And nothing has been changed on my end. Suddenly it was working as it should. Very odd but happy to have it corrected.

Back