Air Conditioning?

Lowtechprime

Retro Grouch
Did the 128's ever come with A/C? I've had no luck finding pics or info about it.. Mainly looking for compressor bracket and location + water pump/belt set up.. Just engine bay stuff, not interior controls....

Courtney would be the final word on this but I'm not aware of any 128s that came with AC. Your best bet is to look for some aftermarket hot rod AC to install. You would probably have to use engine brackets from an X.

I believe there was a dealer installed kit for 128s. Someone had a bunch of these for sale on eBay about 10 years ago. Should have bought one but I didn't have a 128 at the time. You could probably create something with a combination of X1/9 brackets and parts from vintage air or the like.

I have never seen an a/c unit on a 128, but given the length of production and the number of sales in warm climates I am sure there are dealer add on units that were produced. The Strada and Yugo both had factory a/c options. Both of these units would be adaptable to the 128. I recently donated a system I had to a friend of mine for his Strada, he is currently refurbishing it.

I was thinking the same regarding dealer kits and the eBay units way back when. I don't have any documentation on any 128 systems. X1/9 would be a good start for brackets. Otherwise, it might be worth looking at european FWD models like the Uno. The X1/9 compressor is pretty big though so it might be worth going looking at Vintage Air or FWD import for a small compressor.

In Europe, A/C became common much much later than in the US.
On small/cheap cars especially.
So for most cars exported to the US, the A/C option was an addon that wasn't even available in Europe.
In short, the 128, Strada/Ritmo and probably the Uno were never available with A/C in Europe.

With modern components you could make a system that is much smaller physically than was offered on the Yugo. Have you looked at Vintage Air?

Took this pic yrs ago, its on a 128.Was impressed by it

Attachments

• 20131109_110106.jpg
    20131109_110106.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 145
As long as you have knees that work in reverse it would be fine. How would you get to the pedals with that monstrosity in the way?

Back