Alitalia on BAT - auction is complete

tigeravg

True Classic
Now listed on BAT. Here is the link. {edit by JimD}

My X will be on Bring A Trailer this coming week. Just had the first "review" of my ad, it should be up by Tues or Wed. The first question they asked was if I'd go no reserve. In my case, the answer was "Hell No." But seeing a 240Z with the wrong paint and 103K miles go for $77K on BAT in the last week gives me hope. BAT will not accept a car with a reserve they believe will keep the car from selling. My point is, the price of X1/9's could jump a bit with a good sale. This covid crap be damned! And no whining about prices being too high folks (most of us already have one or two, myself included). Our cars deserve a lot more love than they are getting. The only negative to BAT is that any schmoe who is registered can comment during the auction. Guys who know absolutely nothing toss in their two cents, citing how "all of these cars have rust" or "my sister's boyfriend's cousin had one and it burned to the ground for no reason...", but I guess that's part of the game. Rolls your dice, takes your chance. And as usual (pointed out by my lovely better half), my X is sorted better than she has ever been, being nearly completely rebuilt in the last couple hundred miles. Hopefully I can get out of the buy-high-sell-low club. I put this in "Discussion" forum because I agreed with BAT to not post it for sale anyplace else till the auction is done. There is a short video with some driving of this car in the ad. Hope you go look. I'll drop a note with a link when she actually lists.Fiat_X19_1974_Concorso_Italiano_2018_MWP1728.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Comments that You mentioned mostly are posted by those who are just having fun surfing through the ads. Those who can or are going to spend good amount of money most likely knows a car they are looking for or will do a research and comments You mentioned won't change their mind

mkmini said exactly what I was going to say and they probably don't even read the comments.
Good luck to both of you guys, you have stunning vehicles.

I see folks, usually other commenters, countering the harmful comments quite effectively. So there's always that. But, it's a bit of a minefield for a seller to counter, it's easy to come off as a dick if you're not considerate. I think the best defense is LOTS of information in the form of pics, vids, documentation, and testimonials. Lots of it.
GLWTA!

Thanks for the comments, and yeah, I get that the nay-sayers arent really players. But it's still a dick move on [their] part to diswade possible newbies. As for Stingray selling, I wish the best of luck. A big payday for him means likely one for me and vice-versa. His is a far more detailed car with a fabulous engine. Mine is simply a pumped little italian attemp at fun. Different approaches to the same end...driving fun.

That how thing works- if You want to sell for a fixed amount of money- You event won't care for comments, but if You would like to get more maybe than it worth - on auction- You are looking what are others saying, that's human nature.

Good luck on the sale. Your car has the best set of wheels of any X I can think of.
What are the specs and where was the work done on them?
15 barrels with stock centers?

The wheels were made by a company in Oregon, Stock centers with stock offset on custom barrels. the fronts were 9" and rears 11" when I got them. They were actually too wide for my Dallara style fenders. I had them cut and re-welded. The fronts are now 8.25" and rears are 10" and now fit flush with the fenders. They are powder coated and the Fiat markings are painted on. The tires are 215 50/13's and 235 50/13 respectively. It was a hassle finding tires till recently. "Vitour" is selling the tires very inexpensively. My other options used to be Avon's or Hoosiers, Both stupid expensive.
IMG_3714.jpg

Last edited:
I see folks, usually other commenters, countering the harmful comments quite effectively. So there's always that. But, it's a bit of a minefield for a seller to counter, it's easy to come off as a dick if you're not considerate. I think the best defense is LOTS of information in the form of pics, vids, documentation, and testimonials. Lots of it.
GLWTA!
And I agree. I see folks being totally rude, and the sellers simply address their questions and move on. Seems to work. We'll see.

The wheels were made by a company in Oregon, Stock centers with stock offset on custom barrels. the fronts were 9" and rears 11" when I got them. They were actually too wide for my Dallara style fenders. I had them cut and re-welded. The fronts are now 8.25" and rears are 10" and now fit flush with the fenders. They are powder coated and the Fiat markings are painted on. The tires are 215 50/13's and 235 50/13 respectively. It was a hassle finding tires till recently. "Vitour" is selling the tires very inexpensively. My other options used to be Avon's or Hoosiers, Both stupid expensive.
View attachment 34507
Thanks for the info. I think widened steelies are the best look for an X1/9. Even better then the coveted Daytonas or CD31s <?
Might have to look into having a set made up.

That's very good to know, particularly for those of us in California. My current 1500 engine build coincidentally is a '79. Looking forward to when you action goes live.

Thanks for the comments, and yeah, I get that the nay-sayers arent really players. But it's still a dick move on [their] part to diswade possible newbies. As for Stingray selling, I wish the best of luck. A big payday for him means likely one for me and vice-versa. His is a far more detailed car with a fabulous engine. Mine is simply a pumped little italian attemp at fun. Different approaches to the same end...driving fun.

Damn good lookin ride... Don't sell yerself short... literally!

Gorgeous car. Yeah BaT's reserve thing is sort of dumb. Yes they want cars to sell, but reserve should be set by the seller without excessive input/resistance from the auction house.

A friend of mine wanted to sell his Maserati GranTurismo race car there. They wanted his reserve to be so low he laughed and walked away. Shame too because the BaT crowd would have loved seeing and hearing this car. He ended up selling it for exactly what he wanted for it anyway--but without the adoring crowd of BaT to comment away. Shame.

Thanks. And no intention of giving her away. I havn't seen a wide body X on BAT yet. Should be fun to watch. If she doesn't sell...oh well. I'll just have to keep driving her. Not a big sacrifice.
Gorgeous car. Yeah BaT's reserve thing is sort of dumb. Yes they want cars to sell, but reserve should be set by the seller without excessive input/resistance from the auction house.

A friend of mine wanted to sell his Maserati GranTurismo race car there. They wanted his reserve to be so low he laughed and walked away. Shame too because the BaT crowd would have loved seeing and hearing this car. He ended up selling it for exactly what he wanted for it anyway--but without the adoring crowd of BaT to comment away. Shame.
Same with a pal of mine...about the reserve...but frankly, he did set his pretty high for the vehicle. BAT would not take his sale. Likewise, he got what he wanted private party. I set my reserve pretty high (for an X) and was surprised BAT bit. But they did. I'm wrapping up a video for the posting. Hoping bidders want to drive the car like I do in the video. After all, that's why we build/restore these damn things...right? A good sale should at least bring the price point up for our cars. We'll see I guess.

Back