(almost) No Cut K20 Swap

Dennisrh

True Classic
Part I
I have been working on my K20 Swap for about a year and a half and am near completion. I have been driving the car for about three weeks and am just working out a few kinks here and there. When I saw the first Midwest Bayless K20 swap I was amazed and intrigued in that it was the perfect engine swap in my opinion. I have seen other engine swaps and performance options for the X 1/9, but was never satisfied with the dollar/hp result. Back in the 90s I almost did a Dodge Daytona turbo engine swap, as I had a beat up Dodge Daytona Turbo for a while. Always thought the X 1/9 was the perfect car except for the lack of horsepower. I almost sent my X 1/9 to Matt right after he put the information up about the first K20 swap. My main reservation, was with how much of the frame and firewall had to be cut from the X 1/9. I just couldn't bring myself to cut a perfectly good X 1/9 that much. I started doing research on the K series engines and then a by random chance I ended up with both the money and perfect X 1/9 for a swap. My 1985 X 1/9 got wrecked and I got a decent amount of money from the insurance. Posts about it is here http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/24163/

I decided to experiment with a K20 build and felt that I wouldn't feel too bad if I had to cut up my 1985 since it was almost on its way to the junkyard anyways. I also wanted to see if I could modify the K20 engine to fit in an X 1/9 rather than modify the X 1/9 to fit the engine.

So here is what I did:
First got a 2002 RSX type S donor car. The car ran great. Had lots of power and shifted through the gears smoothly. The car had 120,000 miles on it, but I have been told that the K20 engine is good for a lot more than that. I had my mechanic friend do a leak-down test and check for any fault codes on the computer and other than a valve cover gasket oil leak and a broken sensor, the engine and transmission where in great shape.

Took the engine transmission and wiring harness out. All as one unit. I did not detach the wiring harness or transmission during the entire build.

Bought the kit from Matt, installed the subframe, and had it welded.

I removed the subframe from the car and then removed the water pump, alternator, intake and exhaust manifolds from the K20 and bolted the subframe to the engine.

I then began test fitting the engine on the subframe into the X to see where it was absolutely necessary to cut. To my surprise the only place where my engine was hitting and absolutely needed to be cut was the drivers side wheel well, where the transmission housing was hitting. I didn't take a picture of the area, but if i remember to, I will when I remove the engine to paint the engine compartment. Basically the area where the indentation is for the X 1/9 transmission needs to be opened up to allow for the larger transmission. Instead of cutting the whole frame rail like the otehr K20 builds i saw online, I cut a very small section of the rectangular frame rail out and then bent the metal together making the frame rail more triangular than rectangular. I removed about 1.5 inches width x 8 inches length. I removed a little metal at a time and then test fitted over and over again until I had made enough room for the transmission. The clearance is extremely close, but so far after driving the car for about 3 weeks I haven't had any rubbing or knocking of the transmission against the frame. The engine fit pretty nicely within the engine bay of the X 1/9 with absolutely no cuts to the front frame or firewall. Only problem was, I wasn't going to get the water pump alternator or intake manifold back on without doing some modification to the engine bay. First thing I found is that you can delete the water pump on a K20 and put an electric water pump in its place. This not only saves space and weight, it reduces drag on the engine, so more power as well and it relocates and changes the alternator from the large heavy RSX alternator to a smaller alternator from the base civic. The civic alternator is smaller and closer to the engine block than the RSX alternator and it plugs right into the RSX wiring harness, no modification necessary. (its amazing what these Honda guys have all ready figured out for this engine for drag racing)

I had successfully reduced the amount of room I would need for the water pump, alternator and pulleys on the engine. I test fitted the engine and installed the water pump block off plate with the alternator on it and put the belt on the pulleys. The belt hit the corner of the engine bay, so I needed to make an indentation in the frame rail to allow for some clearance. I bent the metal rather than cutting it and was able to make about an inch and a half of clearance just bending it. This was enough to allow for the belt.

The picture is a bit dark, but you can kind of see where the alternator bracket is and the metal on the X 1/9 is bent in the top right hand corner.

Part II

So a list of things I did cut.
The engine mount on the passenger side of the car was cut off.
The bottom bracket for the radiator overflow tank was cut off (I am not sure this was completely necessary, but it did make it easier to get the transmission in)
Various small bolts that were sticking through the firewall.

Things I did not cut that usually are cut in a K20 build:
the firewall
Frame rail below the firewall
left and right side frame rails (except as noted for the transmission)
Rear trunk and exhaust area.
Rear engine mount (the top one for the dog bone mount)

The main issue with the K20 motor needing more room than an X 1/9 can provide is for the K20 intake manifold. The K20 intake manifold is huge compared to the Fiat one. The firewall on the X 1/9 is convex when looking at it from the rear of the car. This convex part of the firewall interferes with the K20 intake manifold. This is, in my opinion the main reason to cut the box out of the firewall. I looked into several different manifolds that were either smaller or curved upward. Several Individual throttle body intakes almost fit. There is also an individual throttle body intake that they use on Lotus Exige swaps that curves upward. Here are some of the measurements I took prior to any bending.

As you can see, I only had between 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 inches between the head and the firewall. Since I couldn't find an intake that would fit in such a small space, I designed one.

I sent this crude design to a fabricator that makes custom intakes for turbo applications. He was more than willing to make this for me, but he said that with the runners being as short as they were, that I would have very little low end torque and my power would probably not really start until 9,000 RPM. This is not the performance I was looking for. At the end of the day, i wasn't going to spend 2 grand on an intake that I wasn't sure would fit or work right, so I made my bends in my firewall to accommodate the stock intake. I bent the rear firewall and ended up with about 9 1/2 inches of clearance, which is just barely enough for the stock manifold.

About 1/2 inch of clearance to be exact. My firewall is now a bit concave where it used to be convex. However, I think that I could still fit a small emergency spare in my spare tire compartment.

Part III
Engine with the intake now fits in the engine bay. Time for some plumbing. With the electric water pump, i could have forgone a thermostat, but I decided it would be a good idea to have one. I used the Lancia thermostat that Matt has used on previous K20 conversions, but I did find that there are many other thermostats that will work just as good. I do not recommend the inline thermostat that K-tuned sells as it is a single action thermostat that completely inhibits water flow. This is bad for an engine as it can create hot spots. a dual action thermostat is the way to go. the plumbing was a bit complicated and I am still tweaking the system to allow maximum water flow. AS you can see in th epicture witht the electric water pump, there is a short rubber hose connecting the water pump to the thermostat. The thermostat is then connected to the hose exiting the head on the open when cold side of the thermostat. The open when hot side of the thermostat is connected to this T-shaped junction.

The black and green hose goes to the expansion tank return line. The other hose connects to the radiator out pipe.

The -AN line in the pic above (black with red/blue fitting) is the return line to the radiator. I found an adapter to go from -16 AN line to smooth rubber hose. I used the K-tuned upper coolant outlet instead of the stock RSX outlet, because it allows you to change the angle of the exit hose and can use -AN lines. This set up works well as the -AN line is much more rigid than regular rubber hose, so I don't have to worry too much about the line collapsing from bending.
Fuel lines where next.
Fuel pump bracket was modified for a lower profile.

Stock fuel pump, stock fuel filter. Used regular rubber hose to go from the fuel filter to the fuel rail.

The other side of the fuel rail has the fuel pressure regulator and the return line connects to the stock Fiat return line (fuel injected Fiats).
This part was pretty easy.

Next came the shift cable linkage. Inside the car, I had to cut the center tunnel to fit the stick shift assemble, but I only cut what was absolutely necessary, so I have overlap between the metal of the stick shift assembly and the center tunnel (about to the second screw from the bottom). I drilled holes in the tunnel and put the bracing bracket inside the tunnel instead of on top of the tunnel. The screws go through the metal of the tunnel and hold the Stick shift assembly secure. No welding was necessary.

On the transmission side I did a bit of frabrication. I cut the Acura RSX cables and drilled and tapped the end links to match the thread on the end of the cables Matt supplied me. I also cut the bracket off the RSX lines and used them to attach the lines to the RSX shift linkage. Top cable is the RSX cable, bottom is the cable supplied with the kit.

Cables modified.

It is also necessary to pull the cables further away from the linkage for them to work properly. I made an aluminum plate to accomplish this.

This is the mock up piece of aluminum. I forgot to take a pic of the final fabricated piece. It looks exactly the same only it is thicker and isn't missing a bolt.

Still more to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome work. This is the bees' knees. I love to hear and see people coming up with their own solutions. It looks like you have spent a huge amount of time thinking, planning and executing. Thanks for sharing this with us. I would love to see more pics.

Nice idea!

Where did you source the electric water pump and the bracket to mount the Civic alternator? Do you have pictures of the alternator mounted before you put the engine in? I was going to ask if you had any pictures of it through the firewall access, but of course, you didn't cut one, duh.

Reason I am asking is that I am planning on adding an aftermarket AC system to my K20, but didn't really want to mount it on top of the engine as I have seen a couple of others. It would be nice to put it where the existing water pump is and move the alternator lower, or vice versa.

Looking forward to the rest of your thread. Thanks.

Well Done Dennis... Its 5pm PST... where are your...

updated fotos for today?

Just kidding... Wow... even more improvements and a simpler way. Good work!

Updated main post

Rodger - The electric water pump kit came from K-Tuned as well as my fuel rail and various other stuff I got for the Honda engine. With the electric water pump as I have my setup, there would be no room for an AC compressor anywhere except on top of the engine as others have done. If you have the firewall cut large enough, I suppose it would be a possibility to put the AC compressor inside your spare tire compartment. I won't figure that one out on this build as it is a race car build with no AC.

A little love for Tony
Today's updated photos:
3 inch exhaust with an aluminum muffler.

Looking through the stock access hole in the firewall. you can see the bends I made. I will have to fabricate a new cover to put there as the stock one no longer fits.

Spare tire clearance.

Intake manifold clearance. Yeah its tight.

Ever wonder what an X 1/9 would look like with an Acura RSX Type S carbon fiber wing. Well wonder no more.

Thanks for the link!

Nice to know this source as some of their prices are less than what K-Tuned has listed on their website. Lots of cool stuff. Another place to spend more money :excited:

K20 --> K24

So my setup was a K20a2 from a 2002 RSX type S with a custom exhaust and a Kpro ECU. Unfortunately the K20 had a bad bearing and started knocking real bad after less than 500 miles in the X. I had just enough time to experience the power of the K20 engine before it died. I had a K24 from a 2006 TSX that I had bought for a bargain price before I found the 2002 RSX type S that donated its engine, transmission, and wiring harness to my X. The transmission, wiring and other parts needed for the K24 cost more individually than the whole RSX I found. Once I had the RSX it was easier to just put the K20 and transmission as a whole into the X.
When the K20 engine blew, I really had no choice but to swap it out for the K24 as I didn't want to waste time rebuilding the K20 and I had a perfectly good K24 sitting in the corner of my garage. To change from the K20 to the K24 I had to swap two sensors (knock sensor and crankshaft position sensor), modify the K24 head to use the K20 intake, connect the wiring harness from the K20, change the oil pump and oil pan, and tune the Kpro for the K24 engine. This was actually a lot easier than I expected it to be. I went on K20a.org and found a number of forum posts that detail all the things needed to do the swap on an RSX. It only took about a month to get the K24 into the X and up and running. A litle bit of tweaking the cooling system and the X was ready for Autocrossing. I am still dialing in the suspension, but as far as acceleration goes, I couldn't be happier. Even Mr. LS1 Miata at the autocross was pretty impressed with how fast my X went.

Very nice work.
I like that you didn't need to do such extensive surgery to the bay :)

For some reason, Flickr tries to install virus software when I click on any of your thumbnails - Popup tells me FlashPlayer is out of date,and cannot dismiss it without force quitting my browser..

About to start a similar project

HI Dennisrh, I like your idea of minimal cutting of the chassis. I put a twin cam 124 and a Scorpion transaxle in an X19 back in 1981 and I still have the total drive train and it's in perfect shape. I'm going to put it in my present X19 first because I have it free and clear and also because I do autocross the car and SCCA requires an engine from the same manufacturer so a Honda is out. However SCCA also requires a minimal of cutting on the chassis and some areas are strictly forbidden. Therefore I have been, for about a year now, minimizing every part I can in order to make it work. Like you I will use an electric water pump and totally rebuild the intake manifold and turbo exhaust as well as several other things. My scorpion transaxle has ZF limited slip that works great and is at home on the street as well. I also have several sets of ring and pinions to chose from.

Good luck and keep up the good work
Charlie

Charlie : I guess you're building a SSM class autocross car, sticking with the Fiat motor. I also took in to consideration the SCCA rules about cutting the firewall, however it looked to me that you could cut the firewall to make room for carburetors or intake manifolds. With the Honda engine the main clearance issue is the intake manifold. I have considered having an intake manifold fabricated that would fit without any cutting or bending of the X's firewall, but it seemed more expensive than it was worth. I chose to bend the firewall rather than cut it to make sure I didn't have any problems with SCCA rules as well as wanting to preserve integrity of the X 1/9 uni-body construction as much as possible.

Having the Honda engine puts me in SCCA's XP class with a bunch of other crazy built cars. I think the X will do well once I get the suspension dialed in and learn to drive it. I think the main advantage for the X 1/9 with the K20 is going to be the minimum allowable weight under the SCCA rules. With a 2.0 liter, I can go down to 1640 lbs. which is at least 200 lbs. lighter than most of the other XP cars. I am still working on lightening the car, but I think <1700 lbs. is obtainable.

Ya know Dennis... Just working from my laptop...

here philosophically with NO racing experience... I must at least mention a few things you may wanna consider.

Alex Kovatch here installed a K-whatever or a Honda dump-tee-dump in his X1/9 and had about 240 hp on tap, stepping up from the estimated 110 hp he squeezed out of his 1500.

He was kicking bum with his 1500 and now that he had an additional 130 hp or so... it was uncontrollable.

Both HE and the CAR needed to be setup and retrained in order for him to get it to work in autocross. Its now being raced down-under on road courses.

Even if you get everything set up right and skilled to handle it, you probably will not be able to utilize all the hp on tap due to tire and wheel limitations.

Just sayin'... but what a hoot!

Hay Tony

I actually helped Alex with the K20 swap. The power was great but not really overwelming, I thing he dynoed it out around 240 at the rear wheels. He had Penski shocks custom made for the car but he never really got around to getting everything set up before he found some hot girls in Eastern europe. That stopped everything. However you point is well taken, when I did the turbo 2 liter in my X back in the day the tourque literally created a monster that killed the handeling. It took 6 months to get it working right then everything was just fine and really fast. By the way I think he said he beat me once with his XP car, mine was a DSP car, but I don't remember that.

Charlie

Right SSM

I didn't want to cut the firewall and since the engine tilts back it does leave enough room to fabricate the intake, the turbo is a little more problimatic with the axle in that area also. I have a couple of exhaust manifolds including a Lancia delta Intrigali that is really compact but I don't know if I can make it work, I'll find out when the motor is in the engine bay.In fact the current setup does clear the firewall but I want a little more clerance. Your right XP is a tough class but the modren motor you have will help.

Good luck bud and thanks for the info
Charlie

Right now with the K24 in the car it does feel a bit overwhelming. With the K20 the power was much more manageable, because the torque didn't kick in until higher RPM. I know it will take me a while to balance the torque and handling and learn to control both, but it will be a very fun journey. I hope to be competitive by the 2017 season. After I get the suspension dialed in a little better I am planning on taking the car to two of the local tracks and taking their advanced driver skills classes. As a bonus you get to test and tune on the track for the entire month after you take the class. I figure this will give me and the car the practice time we both need. Hopefully the curse of hot eastern European girls doesn't get me too. (wait on second thought)

Back